Official PSU - Maryland Game Thread

Nitwit

Oct 12, 2021
Once Clifford settled down today after the first few drives, he played pretty well. I’d rather not see him run the ball on short yardage situations but he was very effective on 3rd down conversions, many of which were long yardage. And again he didn’t turn the ball over today.

VaDave4PSU

Oct 12, 2021
Dotson is quick and speedy but not a big target. He doesn't have much room to work from the 3 yard line.
I was talking more about general board sentiment than my own opinion.
Once Clifford settled down today after the first few drives, he played pretty well. I’d rather not see him run the ball on short yardage situations but he was very effective on 3rd down conversions, many of which were long yardage. And again he didn’t turn the ball over today.

His legs is what generally makes him a very good QB. Watch him pre injury this year. His mobility moved the chains and opened up passes.

His stationary accuracy is average. He's not a one legged gunslinger.

BW Lion

Oct 14, 2021
John O'Neill & Co called their usual bizarre game, but amazingly they called critical penalties on a PSU opponent. The double UC penalties against PSU were a complete head scratcher.

bdgan

Oct 12, 2021
The PSU offense scored 3 TDs:
  • 38 yd TD pass to Dotson
  • 21 yd TD pass to Dotson
  • 86 yd TD pass to Dotson
It was nice to see Lee get 50 yards rushing on 8 carries (6.2 average) but for the most part PSU's offense is limited to breakaway passes to Dotson.

Reactions: Ram20

bdgan

Oct 12, 2021
I was talking more about general board sentiment than my own opinion.

His legs is what generally makes him a very good QB. Watch him pre injury this year. His mobility moved the chains and opened up passes.

His stationary accuracy is average. He's not a one legged gunslinger.
Clifford had some big runs vs Wisconsin (7 yd long), Auburn (20 yd long), and Iowa (22 yd long). His running is what kept opponents honest. We lost that when he got hurt so it's pretty much down to hoping for a big pass play.

Reactions: VaDave4PSU

ILLINOISLION

Oct 12, 2021
About 5-10 minutes after our double unsportsmanlike penalties, Purdue stopped MSU inside the 5 yard line via an interception. The interceptor wrestled the ball away from the receiver as they hit the ground, got up and raced down the sideline holding the ball in the air, celebrating like he was in the NFL. He got FLAGGED too!

I’m no O’Neil fan but thought he and his crew did a good job this afternoon. Ragging him for the calls that weren’t shown on the screen and assuming he was making them up to hurt PSU is crazy…..what did they do, cost us maybe 3-4 yards in total?

VaDave4PSU

Oct 12, 2021
To me, he looks like a guy who is already playing in the NFL, both physically (plenty of contact on most plays) and, for better or wrose, trash talking

Credit to Pry, he's let him man up tight a lot more this year than he usually let's CBs in this scheme. They kinda backed off today and they played much safer coverage, perhaps respecting Tualia deep ball and WR speed.

If our DL could produce more sacks, or minimally pressure, our secondary would be All Big 10 across the board.

84lion

Oct 7, 2021
Interesting stats. Penn State had more yardage than MD (not by much), beat them in TOP (not much but I'll take it), but actually got fewer 1st downs than MD.

Matchup
1st Downs2329
3rd down efficiency10-184-15
4th down efficiency0-11-2
Total Yards456419
Passing363371
Comp-Att27-4741-58
Yards per pass7.76.4
Interceptions thrown01
Rushing9348
Rushing Attempts3327
Yards per rush2.81.8
Penalties7-544-25
Turnovers02
Fumbles lost01
Interceptions thrown01
Possession31:3328:27

Reactions: Tom McAndrew

VaDave4PSU

Oct 12, 2021
About 5-10 minutes after our double unsportsmanlike penalties, Purdue stopped MSU inside the 5 yard line via an interception. The interceptor wrestled the ball away from the receiver as they hit the ground, got up and raced down the sideline holding the ball in the air, celebrating like he was in the NFL. He got FLAGGED too!

I’m no O’Neil fan but thought he and his crew did a good job this afternoon. Ragging him for the calls that weren’t shown on the screen and assuming he was making them up to hurt PSU is crazy…..what did they do, cost us maybe 3-4 yards in total?

He mistakenly called the first penalty as if it occurred during the play. Impossible based on 16 merely running into the gap and recovering the ball.

Unless I'm mistaken, you can only enforce one penalty on the dead ball.

Should have been one half the distance, not two.

Not a conspiracy. Just ineptitude.

Oct 12, 2021
Credit to Pry, he's let him man up tight a lot more this year than he usually let's CBs in this scheme. They kinda backed off today and they played much safer coverage, perhaps respecting Tualia deep ball and WR speed.

If our DL could produce more sacks, or minimally pressure, our secondary would be All Big 10 across the board.
When it's all said and done, I wonder how many of the current secondary members on the roster will make an NFL roster some day. I'm thinking Porter, Brisker, Brown, Castro Fields. Maybe Hardy? He's small but a heckuva player. He has that confidence that's required to play the position.

Reactions: VaDave4PSU

VaDave4PSU

Oct 12, 2021
When it's all said and done, I wonder how many of the current secondary members on the roster will make an NFL roster some day. I'm thinking Porter, Brisker, Brown, Castro Fields. Maybe Hardy? He's small but a heckuva player. He has that confidence that's required to play the position.

We'll probably learn a lot more about Hardy's NFL future in the next 2 years. Does he transition to an outside CB spot after JPJ and TCF move on? Does he remain a slot CB?

You can probably add King to your list. Seeing the field as a true freshman with our talent is huge. He's seen significant game reps against every opponent.

psu31trap

Oct 29, 2021
After today’s Michigan State collapse, 9-3 becomes a real possibility for Penn State. Is there an outside chance the Nittany Lions get in a NY6 bowl?

Last edited:

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
He mistakenly called the first penalty as if it occurred during the play. Impossible based on 16 merely running into the gap and recovering the ball.

On dead ball penalties, both are enforced. They got that correct.

Brisker was running down towards the Maryland sideline giving the “shhh” signal, so that one seemed pretty easy to call.

All that TV caught on Brown was pointing the ball towards the Maryland sideline…seemed borderline if that’s all it was, but don’t know what was said or done after the cameras panned away.

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
After today’s Michigan State collapse, Penn State becomes a real possibility. At 9-3 is there an outside chance the Nittany Lions get in a NY6 bowl?
At 9-3 with wins over Wisky, Michigan, and MSU, I’d like our chances.

fearson05

Oct 19, 2021
Ji'Ayir Brown is going to be a 1st round draft choice.
I think he is too weak at the point of contact to be a 1st rounder. It may just be poor coaching though as our dbacks seem to sit and wait to "catch" the offensive player, instead of attacking and initiating contact, which means you are going to be driven backwards more often than not.

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021

Yeah then fire his *** because he should know the rules after all these focking years. Right?