Official PSU - Ole Miss Peach Bowl game thread

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
No they did not but his plan was to have a team that could compete for 1 every four years with the other years being in the 3-4 loss range. As those 11 wins teams fell short as everyone would expect it’s tough to win a NC at least in those days. You still need to get some breaks. 1999 they beat Minny they may be playing for one. His expectations were realistic and didn’t marry it to the fans in those years. I’m in no way saying Franklin has his own problems and in an environment with more landmines to avoid but some are his own friendly fire so to speak
I don’t disagree. Just wish people would acknowledge that PSU football hasn’t been great for a very long time. Some really good years along the way, but not consistent for a very long time.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
For the love of God, Joe’s teams win more big games in 1 year than Franklin has in his entire tenure…and on the road? No comparison! I personally attended 3 games where PSU defeated a heavily favored #1 ranked team outside of Beaver Stadium.

Franklin is lucky to beat Purdue on road.
What decade are you referring to? It’s 2023. Joe’s record vs top 15 teams in his last 15 years was not very good.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Giving Joe way more slack than any other PSU coach will ever get?

Did as well or better than Franklin his last decade with half assed recruiting and much less salary. The thinking (hope) was a young, energetic coach would recruit better and modernize the program, which would lead to more wins. Franklin has done both of those things but isn’t performing better. The fact that we’ve been essentially flat since 2000 doesn’t mean one shouldn’t hope to be better - I don’t understand the ‘well, we haven’t been elite since the 90’s so let’s just give up on trying to be’ posture either.

SleepyLion

Sep 1, 2022
You opt out, you should lose all facility privileges, weight room etc. Lesson learned in life is you are either all in or all out. This is the second bowl game our opt outs screwed us ( Arkansas).

Penn State recruited , developed and educated them in return the school owes them nothing. I hope most of the opt outs go to Carolina .
That should be the PSU recruiting pitch. All sorts of 4 & 5 stars will be lining up. Since the coaching staff is really good at developing talent a NC will be won in the next year or two.

leinbacker

Oct 13, 2021
I think it’s even more insulting for a kid to opt out and attend the bowl game with the team. They want to be there for their teammates, just not on the field where it matters. For f*ck’s sake, Olu dressed today and even warmed up. Get your f*cking a$$ out there and play.

or at least stand on the sideline with a clipboard, and wave your arms like you are signaling plays

Reactions: BedfordNJTX

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Did as well or better than Franklin his last decade with half assed recruiting and much less salary. The thinking (hope) was a young, energetic coach would recruit better and modernize the program, which would lead to more wins. Franklin has done both of those things but isn’t performing better. The fact that we’ve been essentially flat since 2000 doesn’t mean one shouldn’t hope to be better - I don’t understand the ‘well, we haven’t been elite since the 90’s so let’s just give up on trying to be’ posture either.
That’s not the stance for me whatsoever. It’s a response to those who act as though PSU football fell off since Franklin became coach. That’s BS and many just don’t want to admit it. PSU football fell off starting in the late 90’s/2000’s but the same “fans” that bash Franklin were fine with Joe’s team’s underperforming.

leinbacker

Oct 13, 2021
Exactly. Try telling that some of the short memory guys on here who seem to think every time Joe’s teams took the field they dominated. Also, there times during the Joe era that they looked unprepared. 2011 Alabama game comes to mind. PSU used at least 2, maybe all 3 timeouts on the first drive of the game. Now, that’s unprepared and precisely why anyone even remotely suggesting Jay should get a consideration any time a PSU OC job becomes open should do their research. I’m tired of people acting like the Franklin years are terrible compared to the not so distant past. It’s pretty much on par with those years. Stop kidding yourselves.

has Franklin ever stepped up and said “we’re not a good football team”? He ought to.

Catch1lion

Oct 12, 2021
That’s not the stance for me whatsoever. It’s a response to those who act as though PSU football fell off since Franklin became coach. That’s BS and many just don’t want to admit it. PSU football fell off starting in the late 90’s/2000’s but the same “fans” that bash Franklin were fine with Joe’s team’s underperforming.
IDK been on McAndrew for over 20 years . When Joe was not having good games/seasons there was plenty of vitriol on the board .
I’m not sure if the position of those original posters have softened over the years . I would wager there has been mellowing , but not capitulation on Joe’s poor seasons .

Reactions: LB99

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021

I don’t know how good people thought his teams would be when his average recruiting class in the 00’s was low 30’s.

BiochemPSU

Oct 30, 2021
All of a sudden, Sean Clifford doesn’t look so bad, eh?
Nice player, but He sits the bench for Green Bay. Only at PSu do we thump our chest for that. Meanwhile, the guy we let walk, Levis, looks like a guy you build a franchise around. Anyway, even with 6 years at psu, Sean didn’t beat Michigan or OSU. He looked about as good in this offense as just about anyone who didn’t have Saquon running around. It’s the coach.

psu31trap

Oct 29, 2021
One of the biggest differences to me between Coach Paterno & Coach Franklin (win or lose) is team toughness and grit. I think Coach Franklin is a good coach and a great guy but he doesn’t coach grit or push for some of that nastiness out of the guys. Listen, I understand those were different times with different rules, but I don’t think I’m alone when I say the Lions are missing that edge, mental toughness and a never quit attitude.

leinbacker

Oct 13, 2021
has Franklin ever stepped up and said “we’re not a good football team”? He ought to.

So, if he said that, you would think better of him?

In a sense, yes, some humility is good. He should also stop blaming what he can’t control (portal, opt outs) for his loses and simply give credit to Ole Miss players and coaches for playing well.

MacNit

Oct 12, 2021
What decade are you referring to? It’s 2023. Joe’s record vs top 15 teams in his last 15 years was not very good.
Even past his peak, he did better than Franklin.

saw him gut out a win against a highly ranked O$U team on road.

Why? Joe’s teams were tough. Almost all of them.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
In a sense, yes, some humility is good. He should also stop blaming what he can’t control (portal, opt outs) for his loses and simply give credit to Ole Miss players and coaches for playing well.
Lol. I think he would get crap from some no matter what he does or says. He’s in a no win situation with some.

Reactions: ps_1294

MacNit

Oct 12, 2021
He more than earned a few bad years

MacNit

Oct 12, 2021
One of the biggest differences to me between Coach Paterno & Coach Franklin (win or lose) is team toughness and grit. I think Coach Franklin is a good coach and a great guy but he doesn’t coach grit or push for some of that nastiness out of the guys. Listen, I understand those were different times with different rules, but I don’t think I’m alone when I say the Lions are missing that edge, mental toughness and a never quit attitude.
This

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Even past his peak, he did better than Franklin.

saw him gut out a win against a highly ranked O$U team on road.

Why? Joe’s teams were tough. Almost all of them.
You remember Toledo? How about the 6-4 loss to Iowa. Annual losses to Ferentz and Carr? Giving up 200 yards rushing to 2 separate Sparty RBs? The embarrassing shellacking in the home opener in 2001 vs Miami? How about the 3 lackluster losses to end the 1999 season? I do. I was at several of those games.

Corner Room Breakfast

Oct 27, 2021
Absolutely correct it would have been worth a couple cheap shots after the block on Abdul Carter.

Reactions: psu31trap

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Ah here it is. And didn’t realize Lane and Layla got divorced; he traded her in for a newer, half his age model….

• Wow
Reactions: BobPSU92