9. Oklahoma
10. FSU
11. ECU
12. Indy State
13. UVA
14. UCSB
15. NC State
16. Oklahoma State

Has us as a #2 seed in the oklahoma state bracket.

But i agree with these rankings as of today. Be interseting to see when the other publications come out

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
If they do the classic, match a strong 2 against a conference rival 1 thing that they do, we'll end up in Stillwater, Raleigh, Charlottesville, Terre Haute or Tallahassee.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
D1 baseball as us out.

Oklahoma State, USCB in this week
Mississippi State, Wake out

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
I wonder what we would have had to do if we swept Missouri? Win 1 in Hoover?

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I wonder what we would have had to do if we swept Missouri? Win 1 in Hoover?
I continue to wonder whether Hoover really makes any difference. Maybe for a team that gets really hot and wins the whole thing, but after a 50+ game season, it’s hard for me to imagine a committee member changing his opinion about basically anything based on a team winning a game in a glorified exhibition where half the teams are resting players.

Either way, for State, I think we can safely say that it’s not about the Ws. It’s about the 5 Q4 losses on their resume which is basically 2-3x more than anyone else under hosting consideration.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
I continue to wonder whether Hoover really makes any difference. Maybe for a team that gets really hot and wins the whole thing, but after a 50+ game season, it’s hard for me to imagine a committee member changing his opinion about basically anything based on a team winning a game in a glorified exhibition where half the teams are resting players.

Either way, for State, I think we can safely say that it’s not about the Ws. It’s about the 5 Q4 losses on their resume which is basically 2-3x more than anyone else under hosting consideration.
I'd love to see us host, but it's hard to argue with those losses. It will be a pleasant surprise if we end up hosting.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018

It’s about the atrocious non conference schedule. Had we played even a semi decent one.. we’d be a no doubt host right now

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
It also depends on how you rate the teams:

Is it a whole body of work or are you saying these are the top 16 teams as of this moment?

State was 22-14 after the Ole Miss series and finished 36-19 so we were 14-5 to finish the season. I agree those early season OOC losses are coming back to bite us.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
Indy State has hosted before. But they only seat 2000. It's entirely possible if we are #17 the committee has us host for the size and attendance numbers.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
It’s about the atrocious non conference schedule. Had we played even a semi decent one.. we’d be a no doubt host right now

Not if it meant we lost even more NC games.

Just beat teams you should and we're not worrying about the schedule.

This has been beat to death.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
Not if it meant we lost even more NC games.

Just beat teams you should and we're not worrying about the schedule.

This has been beat to death.
If we swapped out our 5 wins over teams in the 275-300 range with 5 wins over teams in the 175-200 range, we are easily hosting right now. No one is saying schedule hard games and lose some. Just don't schedule the games against the real bottom feeders.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
If we swapped out our 5 wins over teams in the 275-300 range with 5 wins over teams in the 175-200 range, we are easily hosting right now. No one is saying schedule hard games and lose some. Just don't schedule the games against the real bottom feeders.

It's the losses that matter. Losses to teams ranked 100 spots higher hurt less, but losses in general are the killer.

And I'm not at all sure that what you say is true with regards to 5 wins over a little bit better teams, who still are not good.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Indy State has hosted before. But they only seat 2000. It's entirely possible if we are #17 the committee has us host for the size and attendance numbers.
Nope. If the committee thinks we’re #17, we’re headed to Indiana (or wherever). It’s only been 20 years since the NCAA started ignoring stadium size (as long as it meets minimum requirement). And yet so many people seem to think it still matters. It doesn’t.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Nope. If the committee thinks we’re #17, we’re headed to Indiana (or wherever). It’s only been 20 years since the NCAA started ignoring stadium size (as long as it meets minimum requirement). And yet so many people seem to think it still matters. It doesn’t.

And it shouldn't.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
It's the losses that matter. Losses to teams ranked 100 spots higher hurt less, but losses in general are the killer.

And I'm not at all sure that what you say is true with regards to 5 wins over a little bit better teams, who still are not good.
... I wouldn't say it if it weren't true.

Games against bottom 30 teams like North Alabama, Alcorn State, and Mt. St. Mary's are RPI killers even when you win. We shouldn't schedule games like that at all if possible. It would be one thing if those programs were just having a freak bad year, but they are always awful.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
They did it through back channels just a few years ago when some east Tennessee school got hot, and "They declined to apply"

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016

I bet the committee already has their sites/seedings picked and is sitting at the bar right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Seinfeld and patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
They did it through back channels just a few years ago when some east Tennessee school got hot, and "They declined to apply"
No they didn’t. Occasionally a school whose stadium doesn’t meet the minimum requirements isn’t able (or doesn’t want to bother with) to fund an alternate stadium, or a situation like Indiana St ran into with the supers conflicting with special Olympics happens. But it has nothing to do with NCAA “working through back channels.”

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
Kentucky has zero Super Regional wins in their history. Of the SEC Top 4, they are easily the one you’d most want to see in a Super.
Why? We’re the the opponent teams want for a slump-buster. Just ask Northwestern when they played us in a bowl game having never won a bowl.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I mean we’d be an underdog at Kentucky still but our chances would be greater than winning in Knoxville, College Station, or Fayetteville.
I also like our chance at Kentucky. College station or Fayetteville sounds like a trip home. I still think we struggle in the regional to get three complete full games in a row to win. Just not certain we have the pitching to make it out. We haven't swept but one sec team this year. We were close to other series wins, but we lost too many were we just fell apart on the mound. I would be shocked if we were to win 3 in a row and make it out I would be even more shocked for for to win 4 to make it out of a regional. Should we get in the losers bracket. I would like to be pleasantly shocked. Thereby aren't many years in the tournament when we have been in it that I've just kind of wondered about our pitching. We figured it out in 21 with some guys that really stepped up but we always had Simms there to close the door behind anyone if we got the lead. I don't have that kind of faith in Hardin or Davis. Maybe that's what they are setting Dohm up for I don't know.

Last edited:
Reactions: patdog

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
... I wouldn't say it if it weren't true.

Games against bottom 30 teams like North Alabama, Alcorn State, and Mt. St. Mary's are RPI killers even when you win. We shouldn't schedule games like that at all if possible. It would be one thing if those programs were just having a freak bad year, but they are always awful.

It's fine that you say it's true, but without some form of evidence, I simply don't believe that with the same record, but wins over 5 teams ranked 175-200, rather than teams ranked 275-300, our RPI would improve enough to be an easy host.

In other words, I don't think 5 somewhat better Quad 4 wins jumps our RPI enough to go from 22 to the 15 or so required to be an easy host.

It's the losses much more than the schedule.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
It's fine that you say it's true, but without some form of evidence, I simply don't believe that with the same record, but wins over 5 teams ranked 175-200, rather than teams ranked 275-300, our RPI would improve enough to be an easy host.

In other words, I don't think 5 somewhat better Quad 4 wins jumps our RPI enough to go from 22 to the 15 or so required to be an easy host.

I built an RPI model in Excel and replaced those 5 games with wins over Northwestern State and Arkansas State.

It isn't "exact" because I didn't go back and cancel those teams' games on that date and schedule other games for Alcorn, Mt. St. Mary's, and North Alabama. I also made the assumption that we'd stay 5-0, which is never a guarantee.

But, yes, our RPI would have likely been 8-10 spots higher had we played better (but still bad) teams instead of those 5 and won them.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I built an RPI model in Excel and replaced those 5 games with wins over Northwestern State and Arkansas State.

It isn't "exact" because I didn't go back and cancel those teams' games on that date and schedule other games for Alcorn, Mt. St. Mary's, and North Alabama. I also made the assumption that we'd stay 5-0, which is never a guarantee.

But, yes, our RPI would have likely been 8-10 spots higher had we played better (but still bad) teams instead of those 5 and won them.
This.

it’s like this. We played both una and Missouri this week. Both were quad 4 opponents

beating una costed us 30 or so rpi points.
Beating mizzoui 3 games would have costed 9 rpi points

So if you replace one week where we play one quality opponent instead of, even if they are still quad 4 over mount saint Mary’s and their nearly 300 rpi, and take out the swac schools….

simply math says 30 rpi points times 5 is 150
Take what Missouri costed us (3 pts per game) and that’s 15 points.

Using the 5 games mentioned 150-15 is 135

add 135 points to our rpi right now and we are sitting at 13… a clear host

Yes the losses suck. If we ran the table with the losses. The rpi is probably at 13 too, but we are still selling ourselves short. Because had we ran the table we’d be 41-14 rifht now and our rpi would only be 13 and we’d miss hosting a super. We should have been in Georgia situation but we wouldn’t have been due to the scheduling.

any way you want to cut it. Our schedule gave us zero margin for error and has us one notch behind where we could/should be had we just made a reasonable schedule

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Baseball America just came out with their projections as well:

Looks like all 3:
D1 baseball
on3
Baseball America

Agree on the 16 host sites. We arent one of them. All have us a 2 seed somewhere

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Baseball America just came out with their projections as well:

Looks like all 3:
D1 baseball
on3
Baseball America

Agree on the 16 host sites. We arent one of them. All have us a 2 seed somewhere

So, what you're saying is, we're not hosting.

You should probably start a thread on this, in case somebody missed it.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
So, what you're saying is, we're not hosting.

You should probably start a thread on this, in case somebody missed it.
at the moment. Fluid situation. A few of us have been disucssing this and tracking it. Not only in baseball but basketball as well. We seem to enjoy talking/discussing it.....

If you dont like my posts.. can always skip on by... not hard to do.

msudawg1200

Sep 19, 2012
Why? We’re the the opponent teams want for a slump-buster. Just ask Northwestern when they played us in a bowl game having never won a bowl.
Northwestern had actually won a bowl game. However, it was in 1948, 64 years before they beat us. Anyway, point taken.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
at the moment. Fluid situation. A few of us have been disucssing this and tracking it. Not only in baseball but basketball as well. We seem to enjoy talking/discussing it.....

If you dont like my posts.. can always skip on by... not hard to do.

I skip my fair share. There's a lot to skip.

Reactions: HuntDawg