Opt out of Bowl?

PAgeologist

Oct 19, 2021
I don't know how the process works maybe you or someone else does, but when Franklin sits down with these guys at the end of the season does he say you need to move on , you're going to be our scout team running back, or quarterback, or we'll work with you ?
I don't know, do scholarships have to be honored to players dogging it ?
I don't either. I was referring more towards the bowl game prep and practices. Perfect time to see what's on the bench in a game situation with a month to get ready. But instead we will end up with the same players Franklin trots out every week. And expecting a different result is the definition of insanity.

The off season is something different with getting players to move on bringing in the new class of recruits plus portal players.

I would like to think Franklin will some day get it, but I just don't think it will happen.

gslachta1

Oct 16, 2021
Notre Dame did it a few years back. We did it last year. And I say do it again. It doesn't help to lose a meaningless game against a team from conference USA.
I doubt the BIG would allow it in a non-Covid year. They could withhold our portion of BIG bowl money. (Approx 20 mil)

OuiRPSU

Oct 6, 2021
Can a school still get the extra practice time if itā€™s bowl eligible but decides not to go? Or does it have to actually be playing in a bowl in order to practice?

Also, as crappy as this season was, we are a handful of ad plays away from being 11-2, possibly undefeated. Think about it. With the exception of OSU, what other game shouldnā€™t we have won?

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
O/U on how many PSU players opt out of the bowl game this year....? I'll say two.

Nov 1, 2021
Agree - not going to a bowl only punishes the fans.
THE FANS !!!! Are you not reading this board the fans are gathering in the town square with pitchforks and torches not going to a bowl game will probably calm things down can you imagine what it will be like if they play a bowl game and lose the way they been losing.

Alphalion75

Oct 21, 2021
As upset as I am over the season, those extra bowl practices are invaluable for developing the underclassmen. So, no, no opt-out plus I am sure PSU would like the $$$ and even though we are pissed, PSU still draws fans to the bowl and gets good TV ratings.
Does the NCAA allow the bowl practices if you don't go to a bowl? That's what I'd do. First practice....how to block.....2nd practice.....how to tackle.......3rd practice.....strength training with a new strength coach......4th practice....how to play disciplined football....etc. etc.

DELion

Oct 21, 2021
No, what punishes the fans would be watching a continuation of this poor performance in a bowl game.

Bowls can be viewed as a reward for a successful season. Given the collapse (and there is no other way to describe it) over the second half of the season, one could certainly argue this team does not deserve a bowl game. I would let the players vote on it. My guess is they would still want to go.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
No, what punishes the fans would be watching a continuation of this poor performance in a bowl game.

Bowls can be viewed as a reward for a successful season. Given the collapse (and there is no other way to describe it) over the second half of the season, one could certainly argue this team does not deserve a bowl game. I would let the players vote on it. My guess is they would still want to go.

They should take advantage and have a good time and Franklin should use the extra time to get better.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
How do you lose money going to a bowl?
Simple. Every Big Ten school gets the same share of conference bowl money, whether they go to a bowl or not. Those that go, incur expense. Those that remian home do not. Big Ten does provide expense allowances, but they are commensurate with the bowl payout. Those teams going to lesser bowls usually ring up expenses in excess of the allowance, sometimes bigly.

We won't go into what happens when a school can't sell its allotment of tickets to the game.

delcoLion

Nov 14, 2021
I doubt it. This team, especially the young OL need all the practice time they can get.
Maybe, but theyā€™ve been working since the beginning of August, 4 full months. They couldnā€™t block anyone early, including Villanova, and they couldnā€™t block yesterday. They can practice all they want, against any decent team, they canā€™t block.

The entire approach to that unit needs re-evaluation. Because the only time they can run the ball at all for the last 8 years is if an NFL caliber player is at RB. And when Clifford is passing, even simple stunts and twists fool these guys. The center left his area yesterday and Clifford got whacked hard by a guy coming right up the middle. Every aspect of that unit is fouled up.

Reactions: ps_1294

bdgan

Oct 12, 2021
Maybe, but theyā€™ve been working since the beginning of August, 4 full months. They couldnā€™t block anyone early, including Villanova, and they couldnā€™t block yesterday. They can practice all they want, against any decent team, they canā€™t block.
The scary thing is the staff thinks the guys who couldn't block are better than the 5 4* OL behind them on the depth chart.

leinbacker

Oct 13, 2021
Never back out of a bowl game. Any guess who the opponent may be?

CBS predicts Louisville in Pinstripe. But there is a chance at the Las Vegas bowl or Music city bowl. Seems the Vegas bowl would be the most favorable destination

Reactions: psu31trap

BW Lion

Oct 14, 2021
CBS predicts Louisville in Pinstripe. But there is a chance at the Las Vegas bowl or Music city bowl. Seems the Vegas bowl would be the most favorable destination
This time Scott Satterfield will expose PSU.

BW Lion

Oct 14, 2021
The B1G Conference big wigs determine which teams get which bowls. PSU will deservedly get the crummiest bowl available because the B1G knows that PSU Admin will gladly accept whatever bowl is given to them.

leinbacker

Oct 13, 2021
The B1G Conference big wigs determine which teams get which bowls. PSU will deservedly get the crummiest bowl available because the B1G knows that PSU Admin will gladly accept whatever bowl is given to them.
I think Maryland gets the crap bowl in Detroit.

BW Lion

Oct 14, 2021
Brisker, Dotson, Ebiketie, maybe Smith and Brooks?
Brisker, Dotson and Ebiketie are stupid if they play in a meaningless bowl game. Too much downside relative to upside. All have already shown theyā€™re ready for the NFL.

As for the othersā€¦both marginal, lazy players whom the NFL scouts have already dismissedā€¦knock yourselves out trying to make an NFL roster.

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
Brisker, Dotson and Ebiketie are stupid if they play in a meaningless bowl game. Too much downside relative to upside. All have already shown theyā€™re ready for the NFL.

As for the othersā€¦both marginal, lazy players whom the NFL scouts have already dismissedā€¦knock yourselves out trying to make an NFL roster.
NFL scouts have ā€œdismissedā€ Smith? Lol. Heā€™s likely a day 2 pick.

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
Another awful takeā€¦weā€™re much more likely to move up in slots due to our brand and fanbase, than we would be to drop in the pecking order.

Catch1lion

Oct 12, 2021
FC: Brett McMurphy has PSU vs UCLA in the Las Vegas Bowl.
Probably the most fan friendly road trip

Ice Man

Nov 9, 2021
No opt out , only for seniors who played afraid to get their NFL status tainted.

Latest posts