OT: 88 Octane gasoline ......

GboCOCK

Joined Sep 22, 2002
Jan 21, 2022
Moved to Durham in March. Have recently started seeing it. It's 15% Ethanol as opposed to 87 Octane which is 10% Ethanol. Is there any sort of "hard and fast" rule as to which autos can burn 88 Octane with zero problems. The reason I ask is because it's 30 cents a gallon less expensive than 87 Octane. I have burned 87 Octane forever.

Any wisdom or experience with 88 Octane would be greatly appreciate. I have a Hyundai Sonata 4-cylinder sedan. I'd like to pocket the savings but if it causes any problems, those expenses could dwarf any saving 30 cents a gallon might represent.

Lakemurraycock

Joined Sep 28, 2003
Jan 20, 2022
Your car should be able to burn it unless it is really old. That said expect your fuel economy to be lower with 15%. Probably enough lower to partially offset the 30 cents a gallon.

Reactions: 1vagamecock

vacock

Joined Oct 26, 1998 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 20, 2022
The higher the ethanol, the lower energy content and worse MPG. Too bad the government doesn’t require unit (MPG) pricing to be posted. Maybe someone here knows the conversion rates.

1vagamecock

Jan 19, 2022
Your car should be able to burn it unless it is really old. That said expect your fuel economy to be lower with 15%. Probably enough lower to partially offset the 30 cents a gallon.
True! There is no savings when you consider fuel mileage and if you let it sit in your tank it can cause problems down the road.

Reactions: Tupacaintdead

Backyard Archer

Joined Aug 15, 2017
Jan 18, 2022
Moved to Durham in March. Have recently started seeing it. It's 15% Ethanol as opposed to 87 Octane which is 10% Ethanol. Is there any sort of "hard and fast" rule as to which autos can burn 88 Octane with zero problems. The reason I ask is because it's 30 cents a gallon less expensive than 87 Octane. I have burned 87 Octane forever.

Any wisdom or experience with 88 Octane would be greatly appreciate. I have a Hyundai Sonata 4-cylinder sedan. I'd like to pocket the savings but if it causes any problems, those expenses could dwarf any saving 30 cents a gallon might represent.
This is about to be everywhere. The Feds just mandated 15% ethanol in all blended gas. I'm debating just going full non-ethanol in my vehicles, already do in the boat and lawnmower. Like someone above said, the more ethanol, the more it eats your gaskets. It's all planed though, they're trying to kill ICE vehicles and this is an easy way.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
I feel comfortable in saying it will partially offset it. I also believe it will create more pinging in older vehicles, which goes along with reduced mileage.

The Reel Ess

Joined Feb 3, 2005
Jan 31, 2022
True! There is no savings when you consider fuel mileage and if you let it sit in your tank it can cause problems down the road.
E85 combusts cooler. So there is a performance advantage. You can run more timing advance, compression or turbo/supercharger boost without detonation. If you have a newer computer controlled engine you can get a custom tune for E85. I suppose 15% ethanol would provide a little bit of boost. But it can be costly if you don't keep running it all out. If you're going to let it sit, there's a product names Sta-Bil that will keep it from separating for a couple of years. I used it in my boat and it worked. The boat sat for more than 2 years and cranked right up when I sold it.

Last edited:

Latest posts