OT: don’t like whatever is brewing with Kim Mulkey and this Washington Post article

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I don’t follow women’s basketball at all, so not nearly close enough to really care much about LSU or Kim Mulkey, or its implications on anything. However, I can already tell this is just gonna be some gotcha journalism where some journalist goes back and digs up every single player she ever coached in her entire career who has an ax to grind or was displeased in some way.

and then, once the article is written, it’s too late. People want to believe bad things about others, so whether it’s true or not is irrelevant.

ConwayGamecock

Jan 20, 2022
I don’t follow women’s basketball at all, so not nearly close enough to really care much about LSU or Kim Mulkey, or its implications on anything. However, I can already tell this is just gonna be some gotcha journalism where some journalist goes back and digs up every single player she ever coached in her entire career who has an ax to grind or was displeased in some way.

and then, once the article is written, it’s too late. People want to believe bad things about others, so whether it’s true or not is irrelevant.

Well, this journalist has a work history that does NOT involve "gotcha" hit-pieces, and is actually an award-winning journalist who works for an award-winning newspaper, and he has been working on this project involving Mulkey for some two years now. So there may be something to what he's putting together, but at this stage, who knows.

I'm willing to give the guy (Kent Babb) the benefit of the doubt - at least before we get to see what the article actually says. I would do this even if he wasn't a graduate from the University of South Carolina.....

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Well, this journalist has a work history that does NOT involve "gotcha" hit-pieces, and is actually an award-winning journalist who works for an award-winning newspaper, and he has been working on this project involving Mulkey for some two years now. So there may be something to what he's putting together, but at this stage, who knows.

I'm willing to give the guy (Kent Babb) the benefit of the doubt - at least before we get to see what the article actually says. I would do this even if he wasn't a graduate from the University of South Carolina.....
Award-winning means nothing these days.

Crutcher

Feb 2, 2022

You follow women's basketball all the time. You are constantly making comments on the WBB threads. You have already given your opinion on an article that has yet to be published, so you must be following the story.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
You follow women's basketball all the time. You are constantly making comments on the WBB threads. You have already given your opinion on an article that has yet to be published, so you must be following the story.
lol, keep up. You don’t have to follow something these days to express an opinion about it.

To the Mulkey story, it is being covered with the March madness coverage.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2024
Well, this journalist has a work history that does NOT involve "gotcha" hit-pieces, and is actually an award-winning journalist who works for an award-winning newspaper
I agree. Mulkey referred to Kent Babb's 2022 story featuring Brian Kelly as a "hit job." Today I read the article she referred to. It's a diorama in stark relief about socioeconomic contrasts between town and gown and football in Baton Rouge. It doesn't read to me as infactual or a "hit job" of any type. Brian Kelly is a secondary, or even tertiary character in the piece and even then serves primarily as a point of reference.

I obviously don't know what Babb is writing about Mulkey, but her characterization of his aforementioned piece is way off base IMO.

Here's the link to the 2022 article, In Baton Rouge, there's a $100 million football coach and everyone else.

Psycock

Joined Jan 20, 2001
Jan 29, 2022
Wake up people! The Washington Post and The New York Times are arms of the radical Democratic left. I wouldn`t believe anything I would read - if I did - out of either. Mulkey must be a conservative and/or a Christian for this activist - disguised as a journalist - to try and put out a hit piece on her. Believe me, I`m no fan of Mulkey but, as she threatened, I hope she sues the hell out of them if they defame, slander or lie about her. Good luck finding objective journalists these days.

Reactions: Big JC

Yemacock

Joined Apr 6, 2011
Jan 20, 2022
Dime store queen + dime store journalism = funny papers
I used to love to go into 5 and 10 cent stores when I was a child. The best one ever was in the small Allendale County town of Fairfax. It was next to the theater and a block away from our doctor's office. It had wooden floors, and 1,000s of useless cheap junk on shelves with glass separations. We would spend hours in there at times waiting on others' doctor visits or before or after a movie. I wish there were still dime stores, and pharmacies with a soda and ice cream fountain bars. I've got some school bus ride home stories about them, too.

ConwayGamecock

Jan 20, 2022
Wake up people! The Washington Post and The New York Times are arms of the radical Democratic left. I wouldn`t believe anything I would read - if I did - out of either. Mulkey must be a conservative and/or a Christian for this activist - disguised as a journalist - to try and put out a hit piece on her. Believe me, I`m no fan of Mulkey but, as she threatened, I hope she sues the hell out of them if they defame, slander or lie about her. Good luck finding objective journalists these days.

I wouldn't believe anything that I read from YOU - the Washington Post doesn't go around saying "believe me" - they stand on their work against any test. Telling people to "wake up".......another of the "woke" crowd, apparently - a member of the radical left in conservative right's clothing. Your ruse does not work on me. I'll be watching you.......

:cool: 🖕

1vagamecock

Jan 19, 2022
It's the post so I have no need to read the article.
Probably written in China and printed in DC.

ToddFlanders

Jan 20, 2022
There is no such thing as "sports journalism" - because there are no journalistic standards or reasonable steps made to provide any sort of unbiased story. Sports and entertainment reporting is "infotainment," meant to promote and increase popularity of the sports. It's not serious journalism, and it's not meant to be. So it's always funny when these sports guys try and get serious.

I have no doubt that what Mulkey is saying is true - that the story will contain only a few anti-Mulkey viewpoints (mostly from anonymous sources that can never be verified or challenged), and no counter-points from supporters. These are truly one-sided hit pieces, not meant to inform, and only meant to drag a coach's name through the mud for clicks and clout.

I think we all know what the story will say and who is going to be saying it. It will likely just be some weak-minded, overly-sensitive kid (anonymous of course) that can't take coaching, complaining that "Coach Mulkey was mean to me," or "Coach Mulkey wasn't sensitive to my particular life situation."

Reactions: Tngamecock

Atlanta Cock

Jan 18, 2022

"Journalists" at NYT and WaPo won awards for the Russia hoax.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I don't know anything about Mulkey, except that she dresses like a clown. Not even sure why she warrants an article in the Washington Post, but I can already tell how this will go.

Big JC

May 12, 2023
I wouldn't believe anything that I read from YOU - the Washington Post doesn't go around saying "believe me" - they stand on their work against any test. Telling people to "wake up".......another of the "woke" crowd, apparently - a member of the radical left in conservative right's clothing. Your ruse does not work on me. I'll be watching you.......

Yes, the Washington Post stands on its work regardless of how false it is proven to be.

CCUIrmo

Mar 21, 2022
Let's be honest, almost ALL journalism is biased and we only agree with or support news networks that report news as we want to hear it. If we are conservative we mostly support Fox News and things like that. Liberal its NYT, Wash Post, CNN, MSNBC, etc. They all slant stories and try to sway your opinion. It is why I have gotten to where I dont hold much news in any kind of high regard.
I am interested in seeing what this article says. I personally dont like Mulkey at all nor anything she stands for. However, if this article attacks in a biased and unfair way, then that is not right either. It seems news and social media make their living anymore trying to destroy anyone they can just because they want to or have a vendetta.
I hope this article is accurate and not unfair and full of misinformation. I do think, though, that if Mulkey knew this was in the works for 2 years, why didnt she agree to sit and answer the questions with representation of her own there rather than dodge everything? If nothing to hide, then concede to the interview but have attorneys in the room to make sure nothing is misrepresented and go ahead and defend against all they are asking.
Avoiding, to me, seems like you are hiding something. Just my opinion though.

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
There is no such thing as "journalism" - because there are no journalistic standards or reasonable steps made to provide any sort of unbiased story.

Fify

Seriously, each side points to the other side's "news" as biased propaganda. And that's one thing they're both right about.

ToddFlanders

Jan 20, 2022
Fify

Seriously, each side points to the other side's "news" as biased propaganda. And that's one thing they're both right about.

Sure, but in the sports world it's actually supposed to be biased. It spurs conversation and interest. You really think these "journalists" believe anything they say? Not a chance. They're supposed to create controversy, because that's what gets people talking. Most sports writing is just personal opinion, shot from the hip. But that's what people want with something that is meant only for entertainment purposes (like sports): to know who is on the "hot seat" or who is "overrated" or should be in the tournament. It all creates stories and narratives to drive interest.

That's why they fumble the ball when they try and do "serious" reporting. Typically they're only required to give an opinion and find information that only supports that viewpoint and then let someone else argue the other side. That's why it was good that Mulkey pointed out exactly what he did ahead of time - only interviewing anonymous sources with bad things to say.

I don't like Mulkey at all, but I am more tired of these idiots masquerading as real reporters just to tear down and try and cancel people in sports.

Big JC

May 12, 2023
Sure, but in the sports world it's actually supposed to be biased. It spurs conversation and interest. You really think these "journalists" believe anything they say? Not a chance. They're supposed to create controversy, because that's what gets people talking. Most sports writing is just personal opinion, shot from the hip. But that's what people want with something that is meant only for entertainment purposes (like sports): to know who is on the "hot seat" or who is "overrated" or should be in the tournament. It all creates stories and narratives to drive interest.

That's why they fumble the ball when they try and do "serious" reporting. Typically they're only required to give an opinion and find information that only supports that viewpoint and then let someone else argue the other side. That's why it was good that Mulkey pointed out exactly what he did ahead of time - only interviewing anonymous sources with bad things to say.

I don't like Mulkey at all, but I am more tired of these idiots masquerading as real reporters just to tear down and try and cancel people in sports.
Sports "reporters" are no different than any other reporter who writes about some form of entertainment, be it movies, theater, music, dance, etc.. I have said for many years now that watching or listening to sports talk shows reduces one's IQ by 1 point for every 8 hours listening or watching. Time would be better spent sitting in a bar or restaurant listening to random people talk about sports. You would hear other people's opinions, the same as what you hear from sports talk shows, and you might actually meet a nice person in the process, a benefit not available when listening to sports drivel on tv or radio.

Reactions: ToddFlanders

ToddFlanders

Jan 20, 2022
Sports "reporters" are no different than any other reporter who writes about some form of entertainment, be it movies, theater, music, dance, etc.. I have said for many years now that watching or listening to sports talk shows reduces one's IQ by 1 point for every 8 hours listening or watching. Time would be better spent sitting in a bar or restaurant listening to random people talk about sports. You would hear other people's opinions, the same as what you hear from sports talk shows, and you might actually meet a nice person in the process, a benefit not available when listening to sports drivel on tv or radio.

Absolutely - reporters that cover entertainment and sports are just extensions of those industries. Their purpose is to promote and help those industries grow - and then as popularity rises, guess what, there is more of need for the reporters to tell more stories. Lately though, there have been more than a handful of sports reporters that think they're something more than the propaganda arm for their industry - and they write these hit pieces to get clout. And most of the time the major complaint is that someone offended someone else, or hurt some feelings.

TheRoo

Joined Nov 3, 2021
Feb 6, 2022

The Washington Post is hack journalism and has been so for quite awhile now. They hide loopholes that protect the media. Otherwise, they would have been sued into oblivion by now

Reactions: Gradstudent

Gradstudent

Joined Feb 11, 2006
Feb 2, 2022
The Washington Post is hack journalism and has been so for quite awhile now. They hide loopholes that protect the media. Otherwise, they would have been sued into oblivion by now

The Portnoy video was to funny, Washington Post reporter was trying so hard to avoid him.

Reactions: TheRoo

ConwayGamecock

Jan 20, 2022
Yes, the Washington Post stands on its work regardless of how false it is proven to be.

What is this "proof" you speak of?

A Statement from the Pulitzer Prize Board

The Pulitzer Prize Board has an established, formal process by which complaints against winning entries are carefully reviewed. In the last three years, the Pulitzer Board has received inquiries, including from former President Donald Trump, about submissions from The New York Times and The Washington Post on Russian interference in the U.S. election and its connections to the Trump campaign--submissions that jointly won the 2018 National Reporting prize.

These inquiries prompted the Pulitzer Board to commission two independent reviews of the work submitted by those organizations to our National Reporting competition. Both reviews were conducted by individuals with no connection to the institutions whose work was under examination, nor any connection to each other. The separate reviews converged in their conclusions: that no passages or headlines, contentions or assertions in any of the winning submissions were discredited by facts that emerged subsequent to the conferral of the prizes.
The 2018 Pulitzer Prizes in National Reporting stand.

You may be thinking of some sort of reporting "rules" that do not apply to those who make the final decisions. Just because you think the 2020 election was stolen, that Trump is the second coming of Jesus Christ, and that Qanon is the most truthful and dependable reporter of "news" in the world, doesn't mean the rest of the world exists in your faux-reality. Even Russian government officials have admitted repeatedly that they prefer Trump to anyone else as the President of the United States, and it IS proven across the political spectrum of this country that Russia consistently interferes with our elections. If that doesn't "link" Russian interference with the Trump campaign, then I don't know Russian language well enough to convince you otherwise, comrade.......

Atlanta Cock

Jan 18, 2022

You may be thinking of some sort of reporting "rules" that do not apply to those who make the final decisions. Just because you think the 2020 election was stolen, that Trump is the second coming of Jesus Christ, and that Qanon is the most truthful and dependable reporter of "news" in the world, doesn't mean the rest of the world exists in your faux-reality. Even Russian government officials have admitted repeatedly that they prefer Trump to anyone else as the President of the United States, and it IS proven across the political spectrum of this country that Russia consistently interferes with our elections. If that doesn't "link" Russian interference with the Trump campaign, then I don't know Russian language well enough to convince you otherwise, comrade.......
Doesn't make the Russia hoax anything more than a hoax. The Steele Dossier was total BS paid for by Hillary.

1vagamecock

Jan 19, 2022

That statement couldn't be more false. Nothing you said is near the truth except that Russia involves itself in our election, but they involve themselves in everyone's election.
The only thing you can believe from the Russians is that thier " Government officials " lie for the states best interest.
Go ahead and vote for Joe again like a good Socialist.
I'll believe my friends who deal with the misinformation from the Russians every day.

Reactions: USCEDGE

Atlanta Cock

Jan 18, 2022

Dude.

Tngamecock

Jan 22, 2022

Award winning journalist is an oxymoron these days.

CCUIrmo

Mar 21, 2022
I just wish the stupid article would come out already so we could all see what it is about. Kim did herself no favors bringing such attention to it and it may end up being nothing but for goodness sake can it come out already so we can see for ourselves? Or are they waiting until Friday to put it out to distract from Saturday game? Maybe waiting to see if they make final four and distract from that? Who knows but if it was not ready, then no one should have said anything.

Tngamecock

Jan 22, 2022

Did you really say “they stand on their work against any test?”

Thanks for the laugh this morning.

• Haha
Reactions: Lurker123

Tngamecock

Jan 22, 2022
Let's be honest, almost ALL journalism is biased and we only agree with or support news networks that report news as we want to hear it. If we are conservative we mostly support Fox News and things like that. Liberal its NYT, Wash Post, CNN, MSNBC, etc. They all slant stories and try to sway your opinion. It is why I have gotten to where I dont hold much news in any kind of high regard.
I am interested in seeing what this article says. I personally dont like Mulkey at all nor anything she stands for. However, if this article attacks in a biased and unfair way, then that is not right either. It seems news and social media make their living anymore trying to destroy anyone they can just because they want to or have a vendetta.
I hope this article is accurate and not unfair and full of misinformation. I do think, though, that if Mulkey knew this was in the works for 2 years, why didnt she agree to sit and answer the questions with representation of her own there rather than dodge everything? If nothing to hide, then concede to the interview but have attorneys in the room to make sure nothing is misrepresented and go ahead and defend against all they are asking.
Avoiding, to me, seems like you are hiding something. Just my opinion though.
The lib rags you mention don’t show you things….they avoid the subjects altogether if it hurts their narrative. It’s funny when you discuss things with people that watch only the mainstream media, when you ask them a question about certain events, and they have no clue because it doesn’t fit the DNC narrative. And if it doesn’t fit that narrative, CNN and MSNBC and ABC and CBS are not going to show it. And if you don’t know you can’t criticizeor form an opinion.

I miss Walter Cronkite

Reactions: Patriot321

athenscock3

Feb 7, 2022

Google her and listen to some of the things that came out of her mouth. It's as direct as listening with your own ears. If you do, you will hear plenty of things. Over 30 coeds were raped by fb players at Baylor and she dismisses them out of hand for beginners.

Tngamecock

Jan 22, 2022
I am no Kim fan. I am no journalist fan. This is simply entertainment and we all know the focus will be the alleged Brittany Griner “don’t come out yet” stuff from Baylor. It will contain a pro LGBTQ message…wah wah wah. It will be comedy relief

athenscock3

Feb 7, 2022
Now recognized as the ''The Fake News Awards'' created to encourage more fake news!
Only because an orange haired and orange make up face reality show clown says so and his bling mice believe everything he says as the gospel even though he lies constantly and was heard at Normandy by military personnel saying serviceman were suckers.. Go buy a "God Bless America" bible the grifter is selling.