OT: Fisker in trouble

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
I can't imagine the complexity of attempting to start a car company from scratch - dealer networks, spare parts for accidents and replacements, techs with the willingness and expertise to deal with repairs, etc. Tesla had 5 years to first production, which was exactly 1 model, the roadster, and then another 4 years to the next model. That just seems completely undoable today

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I'm generally pro-electric-car; we'll get there when the time is right. With that being said, the interiors of some of these electric units are terrible. I get that minimalism is cool, but 2008 KIAs looked A LOT nicer. AND BRING BACK KNOBS AND BUTTONS FOR MUSIC/AC CONTROL YOU COWARDS.

I can see why they're not selling. This ain't it

1711573406790.jpeg

Reactions: Wesson Bulldog

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
I can't imagine the complexity of attempting to start a car company from scratch - dealer networks, spare parts for accidents and replacements, techs with the willingness and expertise to deal with repairs, etc. Tesla had 5 years to first production, which was exactly 1 model, the roadster, and then another 4 years to the next model. That just seems completely undoable today
I don’t think we’re trying to start a car company. They were trying to make a quick buck (or Bitcoin, NTTIAWWT) off the EV feeding frenzy. They were only ever trying to do just enough to fend off lawsuits from the investors they wanted to rope in.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
I'm generally pro-electric-car; we'll get there when the time is right. With that being said, the interiors of some of these electric units are terrible. I get that minimalism is cool, but 2008 KIAs looked A LOT nicer. AND BRING BACK KNOBS AND BUTTONS FOR MUSIC/AC CONTROL YOU COWARDS.

I can see why they're not selling. This ain't it

View attachment 547367
I still don't understand why we need a big *** screen like that in a car. I'll get a rental car at night and first thing I do is spend 15 minutes trying to figure out how to turn the brightness down to almost nothing.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

patdog

May 28, 2007
They're finally starting to realize that, not only do people HATE touchscreen controls in cars, they're also a safety hazard. I think the pendulum will start to swing back to knobs and buttons for most common functions in the next several years.

Reactions: dorndawg

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I'd be tempted to get one for $25k but I can't imagine what the repair costs would be with such a small number of cars on the road. Would repair parts have to be essentially custom made?
That's why I say they'd have pay me to take one.

Reactions: patdog

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
They're finally starting to realize that, not only do people HATE touchscreen controls in cars, they're also a safety hazard. I think the pendulum will start to swing back to knobs and buttons for most common functions in the next several years.
My understanding is that car designers aren't under the impression that people want touchscreens. They put them in there because being able to insert a touchscreen and program it is actually cheaper and easier than having to make a console with individual knobs. You wouldn't think that'd be the case, but I guess lots of people make screens and it doesn't take much to customize them for any individual car and it's easier to program that than to program systems to handle individual knobs or rocker switches or whatever?

Reactions: thatsbaseball

Wesson Bulldog

Nov 3, 2015
Car manufacturers aren't designing cars for us Gen Xers anymore. They are going after millenials and Gen Zers with these damn touchscreens.

patdog

May 28, 2007
That's why I say they'd have pay me to take one.
Yeah. You would literally have to pay me to take one too.
My understanding is that car designers aren't under the impression that people want touchscreens. They put them in there because being able to insert a touchscreen and program it is actually cheaper and easier than having to make a console with individual knobs. You wouldn't think that'd be the case, but I guess lots of people make screens and it doesn't take much to customize them for any individual car and it's easier to program that than to program systems to handle individual knobs or rocker switches or whatever?
It’s a lot cheaper for them & that’s why they do it. But consumers & regulatory agencies (in Europe so far) are starting to revolt.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
BMW’s EV interiors are pretty sharp. They’re designed to be ‘familiar’. They left the center console in place like a tradition ICE.

Reactions: MSUDAWGFAN

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
That’s like in my wife’s Palisade, the flipping AC control is a tiny touchscreen. Why? And if something goes wrong with it, it’s expensive as hell to replace if it’s not in warranty.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
That’s why
Bingo.

Today, all goods are designed so that they are, at a minimum, very difficult to repair and/or service.

Changing a headlight bulb on my 2012 Subaru Outback was nearly impossible for me to do at home in my garage.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
That’s like in my wife’s Palisade, the flipping AC control is a tiny touchscreen. Why? And if something goes wrong with it, it’s expensive as hell to replace if it’s not in warranty.
The biggest reason is that it's cheaper to make controls via software than physical buttons.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Car manufacturers aren't designing cars for us Gen Xers anymore. They are going after millenials and Gen Zers with these damn touchscreens.

Hijack: can we stop lumping in millennials in with Z. I'm a millennial but I'm almost 42 and my back hurts. I like knobs on my console and I made my friends in real life and not on an app on my phone. I am not like them.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
The biggest reason is that it's cheaper to make controls via software than physical buttons.
I've been looking at Ford and Chevy small/midsize trucks and am being told I can't get one w/out the screen in the middle controlling everything now. If that goes out, you can no longer control hardly anything. I don't trust car salesmen though so I'm going to keep looking for one w/out

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
Bingo.

Today, all goods are designed so that they are, at a minimum, very difficult to repair and/or service.

Changing a headlight bulb on my 2012 Subaru Outback was nearly impossible for me to do at home in my garage.

I’ve had to change a few. The Subaru recommended way is terrible, but this way through the wheel isn’t too bad

Reactions: dog12

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008

I’ve had to change a few. The Subaru recommended way is terrible, but this way through the wheel isn’t too bad

I've got a co-worker w/ a Grand Cherokee that is this exact same way. Pull the plug out and a small handed person can do it ok but I actually took her wheel off for the extra room though. Let that sink in, remove the tire and wheel to be able to change the headlight bulb. Had to jump hers off once too and the battery compartment is under the drivers side passenger floorboard.........

Last edited:

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
I've got a co-worker w/ a Grand Cherokee that is this exact same way. Pull the plug out and a small person can do it ok but I actually took her wheel off for the extra room though. Let that sink in, remove the tire and wheel to be able to change the headlight bulb. Had to jump hers off once too and the battery compartment is under the drivers side passenger floorboard.........
I’m not small, but I agree it’s easier as you get smaller. I just turned the wheel to get more room and was able to do it. First time still kind of sucked but next couple weren’t bad. Haven’t done it on a Grand Cherokee though