OT: Generators...

RivaDawg

Senior
Feb 26, 2008
888
440
63
With winter storm forecast, looking for recommendations on generators. What to look for and what to stay away from.
 

PapaDawg

Senior
Nov 19, 2014
823
762
93
For portable generators, I have always used Honda, they are quiet, fuel efficient, and provide relatively stable electric current (less surging as the load increases), and extremely reliable.
For a full home stand-by generator, I chose a Kohler. We installed it 4 years ago. It has been very reliable also. One of the keys is not putting too much of a load on the generator. Lights, TV’s, refrigerators, and freezers do not draw a heavy load of electricity. Ovens, dryers, furnaces, hair dryers, space heaters pull a lot of current.

you need a fuel supply also for a portable. A good sized Honda portable will burn about a gallon/hour. You have to plan for fuel consumption. You also need spare oil filters (if applicable) and oil. Will need to change it every 50-100 hours depending on manufacturers recommendation
 
Last edited:

engie

Sophomore
May 29, 2011
10,763
106
63
I’m speaking strictly of 2000s here because they seem the most logical overall. Honda will cost you twice as much but you can go to any ace hardware and find parts for it. With almost any of the other brands, part finding is a crapshoot. Although you do ok once you figure out who actually built the motor in it. Basically all seem to come from Yamaha, wen, or generac. I’m in year 3 or 4 with a powerhorse from northern tools that I found an absolute steal on and shared here on the forum. Yamaha motor. Not one hiccup. And it’s run pretty hard pumping water during the summer months. Probably 250 hours on it now.

Whatever you do, don’t buy a 3000i for the same price you can have two 2000s and a parallel cable with extra wattage and the ability to move them yourself without running the risk of blowing out your back.
 

The Peeper

Heisman
Feb 26, 2008
16,707
12,444
113
Look at dual fuel ones (gasoline or propane) or diesel ones. During Katrina aftermath I sat in line daily to fill up with gas because I was running supplies to relatives in S MS. My neighbor finally loaned me his diesel pickup, I could pull up at any station straight to the pump and fill up in normal amount of time because few if any were using it. Also with propane, you can hook up as big a tank as you can afford and it won't go bad like storing gas will. Ryobi, Champion, Sportsman, WEN, Westinghouse all make dual fuel ones. I have a friend in Ridgeland that has his Kohler running on the house natural gas, never have to worry about running out.
 

gwadSIG

Redshirt
Aug 13, 2015
294
0
0
With winter storm forecast, looking for recommendations on generators. What to look for and what to stay away from.

Predator brand from Harbor Freight. Half the price of Honda's and comparable performance.
 

catvet

All-American
May 11, 2009
4,266
5,648
113
Honda. The Honda knockoffs are cheaper, but are unreliable as hell. I found out the hard way
 

Dawgbite

Heisman
Nov 1, 2011
9,900
11,332
113
Honda or Yamaha if you want to invest the cash. I think Champion is the best of the cheaper generators. TSC and Campers World carries them. I know a lot of RVers that use them.
 

Dawgbite

Heisman
Nov 1, 2011
9,900
11,332
113
TSC had the Champion 2000 on sale before Christmas for $299. I started to buy a pair plus the kit to pair them together and list my Honda for sale.
 

West Tn Dawg

Redshirt
Mar 2, 2008
737
7
18
Had a Predator from Harbor Freight for several years, works well and just as quiet as a Honda.
Actually quiter than a Honda and half the price. Read the reviews, they are good. I have a Honda 2000i and a Predator 3500. The Predator is quiter than the little Honda. I use the predator to power my inclosed trailer that I haul my show trucks in. It will run both A/C units as long as i don't start them at the same time. Very happy with it.
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State PFF Grades from 56-23 loss to Alabama
  2. 02 Maroon and White Football Anthony Evans III posts highest PFN WR grade of Week 5
  3. 03 Maroon and White Football Standout Stats: No. 7 Alabama 56-23 No. 16 Mississippi State
  4. 04 Maroon and White Football Unpacking Mississippi State's offensive unraveling against Alabama
  5. 05 Maroon and White Football "Learning Moments": Mississippi State HC Jeff Lebby speaks on rough outing for QB Kamario Taylor