OT: Happy 93rd Birthday to maybe the best that ever played the game.

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
Say Hey, Willie...

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
I had an uncle that played outfield in the Giants system. He was stuck behind Mays, Monte Irvin, and Dusty Rhodes. Not a lot of playing time to be had there.
My Dad made it to SF and hit cleanup behind him a few times, but Cepeda, McCovey and more were right behind him. Not a time to not be exceptional I guess. You got traded for arms.

Connorpozlee

Oct 29, 2021
There was no draft. The Giants had all the players.
My uncle actually played some time with the Giants and later, the Cubs. Different era where there was no ability get out and there were not many teams to play for. My father also played in the Giants system for a couple years. Took a fastball to his giant (but unhelmeted) head and couldn’t step into a pitch well after that. Damn shame.

Connorpozlee

Oct 29, 2021
My Dad made it to SF and hit cleanup behind him a few times, but Cepeda, McCovey and more were right behind him. Not a time to not be exceptional I guess. You got traded for arms.
Per chance, did you father play in Muskogee? My father hit #3 in the lineup with Cepeda hitting cleanup in Muskogee in what would now be considered rookie ball.

TiogaLion

Oct 31, 2021
I saw Willie's number 648 at Veterans Stadium when he was with the Mets. Tom Seaver vs Steve Carlton. The Mets won 4-3 and little known Phillie first baseman, Tommy Hutton hit a home run off Seaver. Carlton gave up two 2-run homers that day while going the full 9 innings. Willie hit his homer in the 8th, which were the winning runs. The Vet had about 57K that day. It was "Bat Day", which can be found in my garage still today.

EDIT: I just checked and the attendance was a little over 57K that day in 1972.

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
I saw Willie's number 648 at Veterans Stadium when he was with the Mets. Tom Seaver vs Steve Carlton. The Mets won 4-3 and little known Phillie first baseman, Tommy Hutton hit a home run off Seaver. Carlton gave up two 2-run homers that day while going the full 9 innings. Willie hit his homer in the 8th, which were the winning runs. The Vet had about 57K that day. It was "Bat Day", which can be found in my garage still today.

Tommy Hutton isn't little known in SoFla. He was the voice of the Marlins on tv and radio through both WS wins. Very cool guy. Did some turf work for his baseball schools over the years.

Reactions: TiogaLion

BriantheLion

Nov 27, 2023

My dad and I saw Willie hit a home run…and Juan Marichal pitch…for the Giants against the Phillies back at old Connie Mack Stadium!

fairgambit

Oct 12, 2021
My dad and I saw Willie hit a home run…and Juan Marichal pitch…for the Giants against the Phillies back at old Connie Mack Stadium!
And speaking of Marichal, and Mays, who else remembers this....

JohnJumba

Oct 7, 2021
For those not old enough, the Mays "blasting cap" PSA spot was a hoot. "If you find one, do not taste (test) it, call a police man". It's out there on the web.

saturdaysarebetter

Jun 28, 2018

During his Phillies career Hutton against Hall of Fame pitcher Tom Seaver of the New York Mets; in 62 plate appearances against Seaver, Hutton batted . 320, with 11 walks, three homers and 15 RBI.

Bvillebaron

Oct 12, 2021
I'll take the other's word for it (including my Dad). Aaron had 1,500 more at bats than Mays (that's 3 seasons).
So that would explain why Aaron had a higher lifetime batting average right? Aaron was exceptional in every facet of the game. He just didn’t play in a media market and wasn’t a show boat like Mays. Saw Aaron catch a fly ball in the “cut out” in right center field at Connie Mack and turn and throw a runner tagging up at third out at the plate. But hey everyone’s entitled to their opinion and I’m entitled to mine which is based on seeing them both play.

Reactions: BedfordNJTX

HarrisburgDave

Oct 29, 2021
Say Hey, Willie...

Mays, Mantle, Aaron, Yaz, Rose, Brock, Oliva, Williams, Robinson. Quite a group of outfielders to watch back in the sixties.

Then there were the pitchers. Gibson, Drysdale, Koufax, Seaver, Bunning, Marichal, McLain, Niekro, Palmer, McNally, Jenkins, Tiant, Perry.

Great time to grow up and collect baseball cards.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Mays, Mantle, Aaron, Yaz, Rose, Brock, Oliva, Williams, Robinson. Quite a group of outfielders to watch back in the sixties.

Then there were the pitchers. Gibson, Drysdale, Koufax, Seaver, Bunning, Marichal, McLain, Niekro, Palmer, McNally, Jenkins, Tiant, Perry.

If I were picking a baseball team, my first three picks would be Wagner, Frank Robinson, and Gibson. Why Robinson and Gibson, you may ask, seeing that I could name three or four players better than either? Mental toughness and great teammates.

HarrisburgDave

Oct 29, 2021
If I were picking a baseball team, my first three picks would be Wagner, Frank Robinson, and Gibson. Why Robinson and Gibson, you may ask, seeing that I could name three or four players better than either? Mental toughness and great teammates.
I can't argue with your picks. (I hated/loved Gibson and his attitude)

Mine-

Koufax - The best there ever was. The players who faced him speak of him with the hushed tones usually reserved for war heroes.

Mays - The classic baseball player. He could do it all at the highest level. No weakness.

Bunning - My favorite player ever. When I got his Topps card I was in heaven.

I will add the guy who may be the #1 "What could have been" of all time. Tony Conigliaro. His life was a tragedy. 100 home runs by the age of 22. Then he is nearly killed and he comes back to hit 36. One year later he is out of baseball at 26, he suffers a severe stroke in his thirties and is dead in his forties.

Last edited:

fairgambit

Oct 12, 2021

Your list of outfielders in the 60's is a good one, but I would add Roberto Clemente who is, by nearly all accounts, the best defensive right fielder ever to play the game. He won 12 gold gloves (in a row), tying Mays for the most by an outfielder, and the last of those was in 1972, the year he died.

HarrisburgDave

Oct 29, 2021
Your list of outfielders in the 60's is a good one, but I would add Roberto Clemente who is, by nearly all accounts, the best defensive right fielder ever to play the game. He won 12 gold gloves (in a row), tying Mays for the most by an outfielder, and the last of those was in 1972, the year he died.
Those outfield throws in the World Series simply stopped his opponent from seeking an extra base. How he got so much power out of that body I will never understand?

Last edited:
Reactions: fairgambit

Bvillebaron

Oct 12, 2021
Don't get me wrong, Aaron is an all time great, but Mays was better. Deciding factor is Mays was a 12 time Gold Glove Centerfielder. Willie was an all time great fielder as well as hitter.
Mays lifetime fielding percentage was .981 and Aaron’s was .980. Aaron had a few more assists and a few less errors during his career than Mays. So what lots of players win/won Gold Gloves based on reputation every year.

PSU1969A

Nov 3, 2021
Cab not argue with the list of great outfields in the 60s, but I believe that Mickey Mantle was on a par or superior to Mays and Mantle. Don't compare statistics because Mantle played for many years with severe leg problems that limited his playing time.

Reactions: haveyoumethoward

Latest posts