OT: Heading to Iceland next week.....

Yogiman71

Oct 8, 2021
The game plan is 9 full days driving the Ring Road. Would love to hear of any experiences, suggestions, thoughts, etc.... Looking forward to the midnight sun! Lodging is booked.

Flight arrives at 7am

Night 1: Vik
Night 2: Hofn
Night 3: Seydisfjordur
Night 4: Akureyri
Nights 5-6: Flókalundur, Then take the ferry to Stykkishólmur
Night 7: Snæfellsnes Peninsula
Nights 8-9 Reykjavík

Very crowded and slow ride on rings road. We caught the northern lights in March, and it was very busy then. Be patient, the speed limits are very low. Enjoy the land of fire and ice.

OuiRPSU

Oct 6, 2021
Very crowded and slow ride on rings road. We caught the northern lights in March, and it was very busy then. Be patient, the speed limits are very low. Enjoy the land of fire and ice.
Thanks. We take off in just over an hour and I think the traffic will be somewhat lighter than in May. At least I hope it is.

Relayer

Oct 12, 2021
This may be a little late, but this was my TR on TA.

Jim from Spicewood

Oct 12, 2021
Reactions: Relayer

PSU87

Oct 12, 2021
Look for the monument to the Marines landing on the shores of Stykkisholmur to liberate Iceland.

And before anyone gets up in my grill, it's a fictional reference for fans of a certain author. Bonus points for the book title.
His best book....very underrated.

OuiRPSU

Oct 6, 2021
This may be a little late, but this was my TR on TA.

We did a lot of what you did (including stopping at the Kronan in Selfoss on day 1) but there’s no way I can post a recap in such detail. I will say that we absolutely LOVED Iceland and had the Best. Weather. Ever! Every Icelander we spoke with said they basically had their entire summer last week (sunny in the upper 69s/low 70s most days). We just got home, but I’ll try and post a summary of our journey on the Ring Road after I take a much needed nap.

My favorite stop was Sigöldugljúfur (pic below), which is about 1.5 hours off Hwy 1. The last few km were on an F road (gravel road on which only 4 wheel drive vehicles are allowed).

Also got this candy (below) in an N1 gas station. The rum is real!0CAFAAF2-356B-4C57-9A1C-7A69AF79C523.jpeg

Attachments

• CBF562C7-68F5-4298-BE40-E5C3444758A4.jpeg
    CBF562C7-68F5-4298-BE40-E5C3444758A4.jpeg
    368.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Bkmtnittany1

Oct 26, 2021
We did a lot of what you did (including stopping at the Kronan in Selfoss on day 1) but there’s no way I can post a recap in such detail. I will say that we absolutely LOVED Iceland and had the Best. Weather. Ever! Every Icelander we spoke with said they basically had their entire summer last week (sunny in the upper 69s/low 70s most days). We just got home, but I’ll try and post a summary of our journey on the Ring Road after I take a much needed nap.
We all need to see pics of hot Icelandic babes! Don’t tell us you went there and got none!

OuiRPSU

Oct 6, 2021
We all need to see pics of hot Icelandic babes! Don’t tell us you went there and got none!
Sorry, but my wife put the kibosh on me taking pics of hot Icelandic babes 😢. Seriously…There were some, but not like in Norway or Sweden.

Reactions: NB4PSU

Relayer

Oct 12, 2021

OuiRPSU, Glad you had a great trip and the weather cooperated. Sigöldugljúfur is now on my list for next time (hopefully next summer). Looks like it's near Landmannalauger. Did you go there? A friend spent a day here and convinced me to go back. Need to plan a few nights on the southern coast.​

OuiRPSU

Oct 6, 2021

OuiRPSU, Glad you had a great trip and the weather cooperated. Sigöldugljúfur is now on my list for next time (hopefully next summer). Looks like it's near Landmannalauger. Did you go there? A friend spent a day here and convinced me to go back. Need to plan a few nights on the southern coast.​

Yes, and it was the best thing we did. You’ll need a 4 wheel drive since it’s off an F road, and there are a few other falls in the vicinity. The road gets a bit gnarly as you get close to the parking area, but it’s totally doable. Another worthwhile place in the south is Thorsmork NP. We did a superjeep tour since I don’t trust my ability to drive across those rivers. Expensive, but worth it.

OuiRPSU

Oct 6, 2021

Manofsteel200

Oct 27, 2021
Sorry Bob. I got this one…be right back…wow…sweating already.

Manofsteel200

Oct 27, 2021
To the OP, please share your experiences after. I have three places I’d like to visit before I bite the radish… Iceland, Ireland and Greece.
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty piqued my interest.

Reactions: NB4PSU

OuiRPSU

Oct 6, 2021
To the OP, please share your experiences after. I have three places I’d like to visit before I bite the radish… Iceland, Ireland and Greece.
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty piqued my interest.
Not the OP, but I just returned from Iceland on Monday (and have been to Greece and Ireland, as well). Three very different places, so it really depends on what you’re looking for. Hit me up with any questions and I’ll do my best to answer them for ya.

Reactions: Manofsteel200