OT: IronMan

msugrad2003

Senior
Aug 27, 2013
610
640
73
My cousin is competing, I type this, in a full Ironman. He started at 7:02 CST this morning and is still going. Projected to finish at 8:40 tonight. He had roughly 15 min transitions. It amazing what the human body can endure
 

msugrad2003

Senior
Aug 27, 2013
610
640
73
Yes. He’s in Tulsa. Still going right now. Projected to finish around 9:00pm tonight
 

jethreauxdawg

Heisman
Dec 20, 2010
11,835
16,982
113
That’s a bad decision

Cardio kills gains**

In all seriousness, people who complete Ironmans are on another level that I can’t even comprehend. At different points in my life I’ve felt in really good shape, and then I see what’s involved in those things and grab a bag of chips and head to the couch.
 

Uncle Ruckus

All-American
Apr 1, 2011
15,306
6,696
113
Had a friend that does/did a one of those 100 mile marathons. I can’t imagine going into something knowing that I am going to lose toenails. I’ve listened to some podcast about guys who do 24hr ultra marathons on tracks. Run as much as you can in 24hrs. I can’t fathom the training required to do something like that.
 

mstateglfr

All-American
Feb 24, 2008
16,864
6,681
113
I am part of a youth mentorship program and 4 current mentors ha e completed Ironman triathlons. A couple former mentors did em too.

I am significantly healthier/in better shape than all but 1 of em, yet I fully recognize they are 17ing gods.
The training that goes into completing one is just so overwhelmingly intense, I wouldn't know where to realistically start. I could complete the 112mi cycling without a second thought, but running a marathon?!? 17 that. Running is for the devil. And swimming 2.4 miles?!?! Holy ****- I am near drowning if I swim 150m nonstop in a lap pool.
 

UpTheMiddlex3Punt

All-Conference
May 28, 2007
18,067
4,154
113
I did a reverse sprint triathlon one time. Run, bike, then swim. I basically floated in the pool doing a wussy backstroke because I was too tired to do anything else.

I realize now the IronMan is done in the safest and most grueling manner possible. If you did the swim at the end half the people would drown, so swim has to go first. Doing the marathon after the long bike ride is definitely the harder way to go.
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White Football Sunday Notebook: No. 24 Mississippi State 31-24 No. 19 Mizzou
  2. 02 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State's defense bends without breaking again
  3. 03 Maroon and White Mississippi State PFF Grades from 31-24 win over Mizzou
  4. 04 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State's Week 5 date with No. 8 Alabama set for early window
  5. 05 Maroon and White Fluff Bothwell finds a way in impact performance for Mississippi State