OT James Webb Space Telescope Updates

Shoresy

Oct 9, 2021
I can't even imagine the incredible stress/pressure the project team is feeling as the launch date gets closer and closer. The local pharmacy is probably struggling to keep up with their Xanax prescriptions. :p

PrtLng Lion

Oct 14, 2021
Here is a great article on NASA and this apparent boondoggle of a project.

Wow, that's some pretty sad commentary there. No wonder China's trajectory on technology (in space and in general) is currently accelerating much more than ours.

• Haha
Reactions: GreggK

jimj

Oct 14, 2021
Wow, that's some pretty sad commentary there. No wonder China's trajectory on technology (in space and in general) is currently accelerating much more than ours.
That can't be right. Every day politicians are telling me that everyone in this country is exceptional. :)

PSU73

Oct 12, 2021
Well, the launch has slid a day, though not postponed. You can watch it while the kids open presents. A video below shows the 30 day process for the telescope to unfold before it can operate. There are over 100 individual sequenced steps that have to fire properly, and in order, to complete its deployment. If any don't work it could render the telescope useless as it cannot be reached by any manned mission.
Launch Date
Webb's launch date is set for December 25, 2021 07:20am EST ( 2021-12-25 12:20 GMT/UTC).
Launch Vehicle
The James Webb Space Telescope will be launched on an Ariane 5 rocket. The launch vehicle is part of the European contribution to the mission. The Ariane 5 is one of the world's most reliable launch vehicles capable of delivering Webb to its destination in space. The European Space Agency (ESA) has agreed to provide an Ariane 5 launcher and associated launch services to NASA for Webb. The Ariane 5's record for successful consecutive launches is 80 (as of June 28, 2017).
Launch Location
Webb will be launched from Arianespace's ELA-3 launch complex at European Spaceport located near Kourou, French Guiana. It is beneficial for launch sites to be located near the equator - the spin of the Earth can help give an additional push. The surface of the Earth at the equator is moving at 1670 km/hr.
Post Launch Deployment
After launch, the telescope will deploy on its 30-day, million-mile journey out to the second Lagrange point (L2). This video shows the deployment procedure, timeline, and location of the satellite during deployment.

Reactions: dcf4psu

Schoolie

Oct 12, 2021
I think the Webb project is pretty neat, but I think even more that the world’s scientists should pay far more attention to the fate of the planet that supports humanity.

dcf4psu

Oct 25, 2021
I think the Webb project is pretty neat, but I think even more that the world’s scientists should pay far more attention to the fate of the planet that supports humanity.
The fate of the planet is not in our hands.

dcf4psu

Oct 25, 2021
That has to be the most ridiculous statement I’ve ever read on this board. Ever.
You do realize the planet is 4.5 billion years old? Perhaps you meant to say the fate of humanity? Although I'd still argue that isn't in our hands either.

Reactions: Strick73

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Bumping the link.

Schoolie

Oct 12, 2021
You do realize the planet is 4.5 billion years old? Perhaps you meant to say the fate of humanity? Although I'd still argue that isn't in our hands either.
I realize a whole lot about our planet. The planet will last long, long past humanity because humanity will overpopulate the planet, as it’s doing now, deplete its resources, go to war for those resources, and annihilate itself. Humanity can’t seem to get its act together and it doesn’t even seem to try. So, yes, the planet will survive; we won’t.

Reactions: Roar More

91Joe95

Oct 6, 2021
I realize a whole lot about our planet. The planet will last long, long past humanity because humanity will overpopulate the planet, as it’s doing now, deplete its resources, go to war for those resources, and annihilate itself. Humanity can’t seem to get its act together and it doesn’t even seem to try. So, yes, the planet will survive; we won’t.

The world has never been more peaceful, and politicians are still buying beach front property. Enjoy it.

Reactions: GoMarines

Roar More

Oct 30, 2021
Humanity will not survive humans.

jimj

Oct 14, 2021
Humanity will not survive humans.

Reactions: Roar More

Schoolie

Oct 12, 2021
Just for the heck of it, I'm posting a link to a unit of a high school curriculum developed by a colleague and myself and two graphics professionals. It's not the doom and gloom of this thread but it does give a very good overall picture of what's been going on in the U.S., and eastern PA in particular, since the 1950s. I retired at the end of 2019 and it's up to the non-profit I worked for to get this curriculum out to high schools. They were given a detailed marketing plan and then the pandemic hit.
This is Unit 5, "Cultural Landscapes, the Great Acceleration and the Anthropocene." It's the final unit (there are five) of "Cultural Ecology of Eastern Pennsylvania," which was developed over five years. Download it as a PDF (you'll need Adobe Reader to read and Acrobat to download) and then take your time absorbing what has happened to our landscape and natural resources. The other four units cover human habitation of eastern PA from the arrival of Paleo Indians to the Industrial Age. If anyone wants the links to the other units, let me know. Merry Christmas!
https://documentcloud.adobe.com/lin...:scds:US:9b9c0ade-76ca-4290-b5df-8f1a5a1e8cf3

Oct 12, 2021
So, yes, the planet will survive; we won’t.
Here is a recent op-ed from Scientific American that I enjoyed reading because the perspective is not the one that currently dominates most of the conversation. And no, I'm not buying beach front property. I'm no politician.

Opinion
Humans Are Doomed to Go Extinct
Habitat degradation, low genetic variation and declining fertility are setting Homo sapiens up for collapse

November 30, 2021
EXTINCTION
AUTHOR
Henry Gee is a paleontologist, evolutionary biologist and editor at Nature. His latest book is A (Very) Short History of Life on Earth (St. Martin’s Press, 2021).

Credit: Jordan Lye/Getty Images
Cast your mind back, if you will, to 1965, when Tom Lehrer recorded his live album That Was the Year That Was. Lehrer prefaced a song called “So Long Mom (A Song for World War III)” by saying that “if there's going to be any songs coming out of World War III, we’d better start writing them now.” Another preoccupation of the 1960s, apart from nuclear annihilation, was overpopulation. Stanford University biologist Paul Ehrlich’s book The Population Bomb was published in 1968, a year when the rate of world population growth was more than 2 percent—the highest in recorded history.

Half a century on, the threat of nuclear annihilation has lost its imminence. As for overpopulation, more than twice as many people live on the earth now as in 1968, and they do so (in very broad-brush terms) in greater comfort and affluence than anyone suspected. Although the population is still increasing, the rate of increase has halved since 1968. Current population predictions vary. But the general consensus is that it’ll top out sometime midcentury and start to fall sharply. As soon as 2100, the global population size could be less than it is now. In most countries—including poorer ones—the birth rate is now well below the death rate. In some countries, the population will soon be half the current value. People are now becoming worried about underpopulation.

As a paleontologist, I take the long view. Mammal species tend to come and go rather rapidly, appearing, flourishing and disappearing in a million years or so. The fossil record indicates that Homo sapiens has been around for 315,000 years or so, but for most of that time, the species was rare—so rare, in fact, that it came close to extinction, perhaps more than once. Thus were sown the seeds of humanity’s doom: the current population has grown, very rapidly, from something much smaller. The result is that, as a species, H. sapiens is extraordinarily samey. There is more genetic variation in a few troupes of wild chimpanzees than in the entire human population. Lack of genetic variation is never good for species survival.

What is more, over the past few decades, the quality of human sperm has declined massively, possibly leading to lower birth rates, for reasons nobody is really sure about. Pollution—a by-product of human degradation of the environment—is one possible factor. Another might be stress, which, I suggest, could be triggered by living in close proximity to other people for a long period. For most of human evolution, people rode light on the land, living in scattered bands. The habit of living in cities, practically on top of one another (literally so, in an apartment block) is a very recent habit.

Another reason for the downturn in population growth is economic. Politicians strive for relentless economic growth, but this is not sustainable in a world where resources are finite. H. sapiens already sequesters between 25 and 40 percent of net primary productivity—that is, the organic matter that plants create out of air, water and sunshine. As well as being bad news for the millions of other species on our planet that rely on this matter, such sequestration might be having deleterious effects on human economic prospects. People nowadays have to work harder and longer to maintain the standards of living enjoyed by their parents, if such standards are even obtainable. Indeed, there is growing evidence that economic productivity has stalled or even declined globally in the past 20 years. One result could be that people are putting off having children, perhaps so long that their own fertility starts to decline.

An additional factor in the shrinking rate of population growth is something that can only be regarded as entirely welcome and long overdue: the economic, reproductive and political emancipation of women. It began hardly more than a century ago but has already doubled the workforce and improved the educational attainment, longevity and economic potential of human beings generally. With improved contraception and better health care, women need not bear as many children to ensure that at least some survive the perils of early infancy. But having fewer children, and doing so later, means that populations are likely to shrink.

The most insidious threat to humankind is something called “extinction debt.” There comes a time in the progress of any species, even ones that seem to be thriving, when extinction will be inevitable, no matter what they might do to avert it. The cause of extinction is usually a delayed reaction to habitat loss. The species most at risk are those that dominate particular habitat patches at the expense of others, who tend to migrate elsewhere, and are therefore spread more thinly. Humans occupy more or less the whole planet, and with our sequestration of a large wedge of the productivity of this planetwide habitat patch, we are dominant within it. H. sapiens might therefore already be a dead species walking.

The signs are already there for those willing to see them. When the habitat becomes degraded such that there are fewer resources to go around; when fertility starts to decline; when the birth rate sinks below the death rate; and when genetic resources are limited—the only way is down. The question is “How fast?”

I suspect that the human population is set not just for shrinkage but collapse—and soon. To paraphrase Lehrer, if we are going to write about human extinction, we’d better start writing now.

Schoolie

Oct 12, 2021
Here is a recent op-ed from Scientific American that I enjoyed reading because the perspective is not the one that currently dominates most of the conversation. And no, I'm not buying beach front property. I'm no politician.

Opinion
Habitat degradation, low genetic variation and declining fertility are setting Homo sapiens up for collapse

November 30, 2021
EXTINCTION
AUTHOR
Henry Gee is a paleontologist, evolutionary biologist and editor at Nature. His latest book is A (Very) Short History of Life on Earth (St. Martin’s Press, 2021).

Credit: Jordan Lye/Getty Images
Cast your mind back, if you will, to 1965, when Tom Lehrer recorded his live album That Was the Year That Was. Lehrer prefaced a song called “So Long Mom (A Song for World War III)” by saying that “if there's going to be any songs coming out of World War III, we’d better start writing them now.” Another preoccupation of the 1960s, apart from nuclear annihilation, was overpopulation. Stanford University biologist Paul Ehrlich’s book The Population Bomb was published in 1968, a year when the rate of world population growth was more than 2 percent—the highest in recorded history.

Half a century on, the threat of nuclear annihilation has lost its imminence. As for overpopulation, more than twice as many people live on the earth now as in 1968, and they do so (in very broad-brush terms) in greater comfort and affluence than anyone suspected. Although the population is still increasing, the rate of increase has halved since 1968. Current population predictions vary. But the general consensus is that it’ll top out sometime midcentury and start to fall sharply. As soon as 2100, the global population size could be less than it is now. In most countries—including poorer ones—the birth rate is now well below the death rate. In some countries, the population will soon be half the current value. People are now becoming worried about underpopulation.

As a paleontologist, I take the long view. Mammal species tend to come and go rather rapidly, appearing, flourishing and disappearing in a million years or so. The fossil record indicates that Homo sapiens has been around for 315,000 years or so, but for most of that time, the species was rare—so rare, in fact, that it came close to extinction, perhaps more than once. Thus were sown the seeds of humanity’s doom: the current population has grown, very rapidly, from something much smaller. The result is that, as a species, H. sapiens is extraordinarily samey. There is more genetic variation in a few troupes of wild chimpanzees than in the entire human population. Lack of genetic variation is never good for species survival.

What is more, over the past few decades, the quality of human sperm has declined massively, possibly leading to lower birth rates, for reasons nobody is really sure about. Pollution—a by-product of human degradation of the environment—is one possible factor. Another might be stress, which, I suggest, could be triggered by living in close proximity to other people for a long period. For most of human evolution, people rode light on the land, living in scattered bands. The habit of living in cities, practically on top of one another (literally so, in an apartment block) is a very recent habit.

Another reason for the downturn in population growth is economic. Politicians strive for relentless economic growth, but this is not sustainable in a world where resources are finite. H. sapiens already sequesters between 25 and 40 percent of net primary productivity—that is, the organic matter that plants create out of air, water and sunshine. As well as being bad news for the millions of other species on our planet that rely on this matter, such sequestration might be having deleterious effects on human economic prospects. People nowadays have to work harder and longer to maintain the standards of living enjoyed by their parents, if such standards are even obtainable. Indeed, there is growing evidence that economic productivity has stalled or even declined globally in the past 20 years. One result could be that people are putting off having children, perhaps so long that their own fertility starts to decline.

An additional factor in the shrinking rate of population growth is something that can only be regarded as entirely welcome and long overdue: the economic, reproductive and political emancipation of women. It began hardly more than a century ago but has already doubled the workforce and improved the educational attainment, longevity and economic potential of human beings generally. With improved contraception and better health care, women need not bear as many children to ensure that at least some survive the perils of early infancy. But having fewer children, and doing so later, means that populations are likely to shrink.

The most insidious threat to humankind is something called “extinction debt.” There comes a time in the progress of any species, even ones that seem to be thriving, when extinction will be inevitable, no matter what they might do to avert it. The cause of extinction is usually a delayed reaction to habitat loss. The species most at risk are those that dominate particular habitat patches at the expense of others, who tend to migrate elsewhere, and are therefore spread more thinly. Humans occupy more or less the whole planet, and with our sequestration of a large wedge of the productivity of this planetwide habitat patch, we are dominant within it. H. sapiens might therefore already be a dead species walking.

The signs are already there for those willing to see them. When the habitat becomes degraded such that there are fewer resources to go around; when fertility starts to decline; when the birth rate sinks below the death rate; and when genetic resources are limited—the only way is down. The question is “How fast?”

I suspect that the human population is set not just for shrinkage but collapse—and soon. To paraphrase Lehrer, if we are going to write about human extinction, we’d better start writing now.
Thanks for posting that.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Bumping the link.

Reactions: kgilbert78

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Bump.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021

JoeBatters1

Nov 1, 2021
revolver news- lol
Here is another great article - Darren Beattie and Revolver are doing some solid work. From the article:

“To this day, the most powerful rocket in US history remains the F-1 rocket engine. This was the engine used to propel the Apollo moon missions. But today, American rocket engineers are incapable of reproducing the F-1. They have evidently lost skills and know-how to match earlier achievements from generations ago.”

Last edited:
Reactions: Lion in Bath

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021
Here is another great article - Darren Beattie and Revolver are doing some solid work. From the article:

“To this day, the most powerful rocket in US history remains the F-1 rocket engine. This was the engine used to propel the Apollo moon missions. But today, American rocket engineers are incapable of reproducing the F-1. They have evidently lost skills and know-how to match earlier achievements from generations ago.”

idealogues are never a reliable information source

PrtLng Lion

Oct 14, 2021

That's hard to imagine that we couldn't reproduce it. Seriously, did the Apollo engineers not document the design?