OT James Webb Space Telescope Updates

PSU73

Oct 12, 2021
But if the universe had a beginning (Big Bang) then it cannot be infinite. Right? (Unless it transcends logic)
Just watched this progam and it was fascinating. It's been around for quite some time. Not sure if it has ever been brought up but this is 2 hours of captivating, well worth watching stuff. It's all about the science behind how the universe came to be defined over the ages. The premise, 1st there was Nothing and now Everything. They even go into explaining how even in Nothing there is something. Amazing and it is all built based on the most brilliant minds in science as knowledge evolved, with Edwin Hubble getting acknowledgments and ending with Paul Dirac whose formula adaptation to E=MC^2 resulted in the predicted existence of antimatter and how the universe started, perhaps from 'nothing' (as it was defined). It's on Prime Video but probably other sources as well.
Totally enjoyed it.

1673664544577.png

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Not on topic but it is about astronomy. I didn't think it deserved it's own thread and at least this one is close.

Yeah, that’s an awesome fact. If I may, I’d like to recommend the following book. What it does is follow the science from antiquity to the Cosmic Microwave Background. Aristarchus in around 270 BC foresaw Copernicus. Wow, very highly recommended.

Woodpecker

Oct 7, 2021
I suppose to show full appreciation, we should sit in the back row

PrtLng Lion

Oct 14, 2021
Seems like a great place in our own solar system to send probes to search for some form of life.

Unbelievable how versatile JWST is. Just last week (-ish?) it found massive galaxies 13billion LY away which are forcing a re-evaluation of the aftermath of the big bang.

Reactions: Zenophile

PSU73

Oct 12, 2021
You'll never look at Uranus the same again:
1685886636380.jpeg
NASA’s Webb Scores Another Ringed World With New Image of Uranus (Labeled)
Uranus has never looked better. Really.

Webb's first glimpse at this ice giant highlights bright atmospheric features, as well as 11 of the planet’s 13 rings. Only Voyager 2 and Keck (with adaptive optics) have imaged the planet's faintest rings before, and never as clearly as this.
Uranus rotates on its side, causing its poles to experience 42 years of sunlight and 42 years of darkness. (It takes 84 years to orbit the Sun.) When Voyager flew by Uranus in 1986, it was summer at its south pole. Currently, the south pole is out of view, facing the darkness of space.
Check out the polar cap (bright white area) on the right side of the image. Webb reveals a subtle enhanced brightening at its center. This polar cap appears in the direct sunlight of summer and vanishes in the fall. Webb's data will help us to understand this mystery.

Image description: The planet appears light blue with a large, white patch on the right side. This patch is labeled “polar cap.” On the edge of that patch at the upper left is a bright white spot. Another white spot is located on the left side of the planet at the 9 o’clock position. These spots are labeled “clouds.” Around the planet is a system of nested rings. The outermost ring is the brightest while the innermost ring is the faintest. The faint, inner ring area is labeled “zeta ring.” Unlike Saturn’s horizontal rings, the rings of Uranus are vertical and so they appear to surround the planet. The background of the image is black.

This was only a 12-minute exposure image! And It's just the tip of the ice(planet)berg for what Webb will uncover. Read more: www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2023/nasa-s-webb-scores-anot...

Credit: NASA, ESA, CSA, STScI, with image processing by Joseph DePasquale (STScI)

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021

ODShowtime

Nov 1, 2021
I had a really good astronomy professor for Astronomy 101 or whatever at PSU and it really broadened my mind and helped me understand the universe much better. That was an awesome class.

I remember when he referenced the Rush song Signus X-1 and I got excited and called out and I was the only one in like 100 people in that class that knew. Good times.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Reactions: PSU73

Jim from Spicewood

Oct 12, 2021
Yeah, that’s an awesome fact. If I may, I’d like to recommend the following book. What it does is follow the science from antiquity to the Cosmic Microwave Background. Aristarchus in around 270 BC foresaw Copernicus. Wow, very highly recommended.

I read Singh's book this summer. As a reasonably intelligent (i.e., PSU alum) non-physicist, I thought it was quite readable. I learned a lot about the Big Bang model from it. Thanks for the recommendation, LJ.

Reactions: Nits74

PrtLng Lion

Oct 14, 2021