OT James Webb Space Telescope Updates

PrtLng Lion

Oct 14, 2021
I was wondering about this: most of the energy of the winds in earth's atmosphere comes from the sun; where does the energy to push 320 mph wind in Jupiter's atmosphere come from? Did I miss that class in junior high?
Hmmm.... good question. Some kind of activity on the interior (chemical interactions, Radioactive decay/heating)? Gravitational tug from its moons? Or maybe, despite Jupiter's distance, it still collects enough solar energy (due to its size) to fuel upper atmospheric activity like this. (I'm obviously only speculating)

Reactions: PSU73

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Hmmm.... good question. Some kind of activity on the interior (chemical interactions, Radioactive decay/heating)? Gravitational tug from its moons? Or maybe, despite Jupiter's distance, it still collects enough solar energy (due to its size) to fuel upper atmospheric activity like this. (I'm obviously only speculating)
F me, math is so much easier than this.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
My ex-wife was general counsel for the Giant Magellan Telescope consortium until passing away last year. The size of this telescope, when completed, will dwarf every observatory telescope in the world.
Sorry for your loss.