OT: Modern Day Snake Oil Salesman

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
A dead giveaway to an MLM scheme is the use of “Boss *****”.

Conman90

Mar 3, 2008
A dead giveaway to an MLM scheme is the use of “Boss *****”.
No the real giveaway is the term "Business Partner". Like they are CEO of some corporation or something. Makes me giggle everytime I see it.

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
Do any of you also have a subset of friends who are always hawking the latest pyramid scheme? I seem to have a handful of people in my orbit who move from one to the next. You always know when they've switched because the suddenly change from being really passionate about, oh I don't know "saving you money on things you buy already" to some kind of magical weight loss pills, etc. The key tell is that they NEVER post the real name of the company for fear of people knowing what brand of snake oil they are selling and stiff arming them out of the gate. It also never seems to occur to them that I've been watching them not get rich off of schemes A - Y, so I'm pretty confident that not only does the product/service not actually get real results, but also , they re not going to get rich off of scheme Z either.

If you are successful in one of these pyramid schemes (MLM) please feel free to correct my take.

PS: It also seems that all of these run through churches with people moving on the the next biggest church in town once they've exhausted, and I do mean EXHAUSTED, all potential marks at their first church. Maybe I'm just cynical.
I didn't read this thread the first five times I saw it because I assumed it was about Freeze.

LocalBeachBum

Dec 8, 2021
i know a couple of people that were/are in Team National. Both quit their jobs to do this full time and both appear to be doing well in it.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
I have an old family friend who is like this. But somehow, she believes in the one she is hawking now so much she has dropped something like 150-200lbs. So nobody says a thing to her negative at all.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
i know a couple of people that were/are in Team National. Both quit their jobs to do this full time and both appear to be doing well in it.
What were their prior jobs? My friend was in car sales forever and very good at it. I think he got sucked into MLM world because he got tired of the hours/grind in car sales. He still has a dealer license and buys cars at auction and resells on FB marketplace, but he hasn't done well on the MLM side or he would A) still be doing the same one and not on a steady rotation and B) not need to still sell cars on his own. Maybe the MLM augments his salary enough to allow him to just do a little auction buying/selling to supplement? No idea. He has not bothered calling me since the Team National call years ago. Maybe he knows I'm too dumb to understand the value.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

LocalBeachBum

Dec 8, 2021
What were their prior jobs? My friend was in car sales forever and very good at it. I think he got sucked into MLM world because he got tired of the hours/grind in car sales. He still has a dealer license and buys cars at auction and resells on FB marketplace, but he hasn't done well on the MLM side or he would A) still be doing the same one and not on a steady rotation and B) not need to still sell cars on his own. Maybe the MLM augments his salary enough to allow him to just do a little auction buying/selling to supplement? No idea. He has not bothered calling me since the Team National call years ago. Maybe he knows I'm too dumb to understand the value.
One guy was a geologist, the other an inside sales for Stuart or you. They both have the drive and personality to have made it work for them.

LocalBeachBum

Dec 8, 2021
I don’t believe you, and I’m not signing up under you.
I am not a member or affiliated with team national. I did get the pitch from one of my buddies. It was $2100 and you sign up as many people as you can.
thr pitch included phone calls to different people in the organization that quit their jobs and did TN as a full time /retired job. One guy was in McComb. The other in hot springs.

Clay Lyle

Sep 30, 2022
Rodan & Fields infiltrated my wife’s friends group. She never entertained selling it or buying it. From what I understand, they set up your license as a automatically billed monthly subscription. Most of the women are no longer selling it, but a few mentioned that they haven’t gone through the long, complicated process of canceling it. Just a head’s up to anybody who’s not watching their account closely and had a wife involved in that racket.