OT: Murder Against the Mormons

Status
Not open for further replies.

aTotal360

Heisman
Nov 12, 2009
22,515
16,258
113
Anyone watching it on Netflix? It's pretty interesting. For some reason I really get into the history of religions. This one has draw me in. Especially since there are tangible items involved.

I have to admit, outside of Jim McMahon and Steve Young, I know very little about Mormonism.
 

forestdepth

Redshirt
Feb 20, 2018
787
0
0
Anyone watching it on Netflix? It's pretty interesting. For some reason I really get into the history of religions. This one has draw me in. Especially since there are tangible items involved.

I have to admit, outside of Jim McMahon and Steve Young, I know very little about Mormonism.

Their theology is jam-packed with some wild stuff. About as crazy as Scientology. Women being eternally pregnant, inheriting your own planet, etc.
 

tribaldawg

Sophomore
Sep 1, 2012
502
173
43
Their theology is jam-packed with some wild stuff. About as crazy as Scientology. Women being eternally pregnant, inheriting your own planet, etc.

Inheriting your own planet was not originally in their beliefs but arose after thinking their wives may be eternally pregnant.**
 
Last edited:

RocketDawg

All-Conference
Oct 21, 2011
20,002
2,780
113
Well, a person of one religion can always say that other religions have some wild stuff. Catholics, for instance, believe in exorcism. Baptists think a sip of wine will send you straight to hell. Point is, to a Mormon, those things you mentioned aren't so wild. I'm not a Mormon.
 

Hump4Hoops

Redshirt
May 1, 2010
6,611
13
38
While I agree, mainstream Christianity is pretty wild too.

Virgin conception, water into wine, 2 of every animal on a boat, 40 days and nights in the desert with no food or water, parting the red sea, the burning bush, a lady getting turned into a pillar of salt for... looking? And that's just well known stuff. Getting into the weeds, there's some even crazier stuff.

Almost every religion sounds batshit crazy to anyone who's not a believer.
 

GloryDawg

Heisman
Mar 3, 2005
20,653
19,406
113
Virgin conception, water into wine, 2 of every animal on a boat, 40 days and nights in the desert with no food or water, parting the red sea, the burning bush, a lady getting turned into a pillar of salt for... looking? And that's just well known stuff. Getting into the weeds, there's some even crazier stuff.

Almost every religion sounds batshit crazy to anyone who's not a believer.

Mormons believe both the Old Testament and New.
 
Nov 16, 2012
2,481
2
0
I know a lot of Mormons and they are some of the best people I know and generally consider southern Christians in the same fight. Because of them Utah is in high consideration for my retirement home.
 

tribaldawg

Sophomore
Sep 1, 2012
502
173
43
Well, a person of one religion can always say that other religions have some wild stuff. Catholics, for instance, believe in exorcism. Baptists think a sip of wine will send you straight to hell. Point is, to a Mormon, those things you mentioned aren't so wild. I'm not a Mormon.

I've been in Baptist churches all my life and have never heard anybody say a sip (or drinking in general) will send you to hell. Having said that, the Bible does speak against being a drunkard which you must have ignored when you were posting your comment.
 

tribaldawg

Sophomore
Sep 1, 2012
502
173
43
They may believe both but their theology is incorrect on extremely important issues.
 

paindonthurt_

All-Conference
Jun 27, 2009
9,528
2,046
113
The Bible isn’t a religion.
Many religions have spawned from the Bible.
Many historians and scholars who aren’t Christian have found it hard to argue with the historical significance of the Bible.

Are there some miraculous things in the Bible? Yes.
Do some of them have different meanings than what some people interpret? Sure.

But im gonna err on the side of believing one of it not the most historically significant documents in the world.

Oh and I’m a sinner and do it everyday. Trying to be better.
 
Nov 16, 2005
29,282
24,399
113
Same here. I know several families from Utah and they are some of the best people you’ll ever find.
 

Hail State

Sophomore
Dec 27, 2009
467
109
43
To Christians it’s pretty crazy to believe all this around us is the product of some atoms exploding 13 billion years ago
 

Grove Sh*tter

Redshirt
Aug 25, 2014
911
0
0
Y'all never watched HBO's Big Love? Pretty great show until the last season. It offers a peak behind the curtain ( a hollywood version, anyway)
 

mcdawg22

Heisman
Sep 18, 2004
13,648
12,148
113
Catch "Book of Mormon" sometime and you'll like triple your knowledge.
I did in NY 2 years ago. I was laughing my *** off. So I amend my previous statement. Everything I know about Mormonism is a result of Trey Parker and Matt Stone.
 

dawgdoug1962

Redshirt
Oct 14, 2013
279
8
18
Same here. I know several families from Utah and they are some of the best people you’ll ever find.
True statement for sure, but that is not the issue in this thread...no one should question the quality of life lived by the Mormons in general. I've met some of the meanest tempered folks I know in a church setting...lol.
 

Len2003

Redshirt
May 13, 2018
1,103
0
36
Mormonism is very interesting. Many of them are into genealogy because they think you can baptize someone after they die and get them into heaven.
 

Mobile Bay

All-Conference
Jul 26, 2020
4,242
2,184
113
What does someone has to do to go to heaven in your belief?


Accept Jesus Christ as lord and Savior.

Unlike other religions which believe you have to be predestined or otherwise were created for the sole purpose of eternal damnation.
 

BeardoMSU

Redshirt
Jul 9, 2013
788
0
0
Thinking a tribe of Israel somehow made their way to the New World long before anyone else...and that Native Americans are basically Jews with red skin, because that was some punishment from God....is....on the same level of crazy as believing in a flat Earth, a young Earth, or that Nickelback and Michael Bay are "high art"....
 

msudawg1200

All-Conference
Sep 19, 2012
1,071
1,012
113
Anyone watching it on Netflix? It's pretty interesting. For some reason I really get into the history of religions. This one has draw me in. Especially since there are tangible items involved.

I have to admit, outside of Jim McMahon and Steve Young, I know very little about Mormonism.

Jim McMahon is not a Mormon. Very far from it. He was raised Catholic. He left BYU after his senior football season because of many run ins with the BYU police. Things like throwing beer cans at Brigham Young's statue and wearing a Battlestar Prophylactica T-shirt with a big condom spaceship on it. McMahon didn't think much of the Mormon honor code he signed. When a reporter asked him his best memory of BYU McMahon responded "leaving".
 

Bobby Ricigliano

All-Conference
Jul 27, 2011
2,615
1,610
113
I guess, then, that those 3 wise men must believe everyone goes to heaven because surely everyone has it with themselves to choose that option.
 

mstateglfr

All-American
Feb 24, 2008
16,884
6,690
113
I have to admit, outside of Jim McMahon and Steve Young, I know very little about Mormonism.

Ove read about byu football back then- there was another notable qb too in that era. Just thought it was crazy that in the 70s/80s that place was a hotbed for offense.


The religion seems extreme to me, but no moreso than other religions/faiths.
I've always been fascinated by how many Mormons marry before they graduate college. An unmarried 28 year old in that culture is an old unwanted hag, relatively speaking.
BYU and Utah athletics are filled with married athletes and a ton marry within athletics.

It's neat that the divorce rate for Mormons is half that of the US population overall.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State Keys to Victory against Alabama
  2. 02 Maroon and White No. 16 Mississippi State vs. No. 7 Alabama: How, where and when to watch the Bulldogs
  3. 03 Maroon and White Mississippi State Soccer preps for No. 11 South Carolina
  4. 04 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State's Zakari Tillman Out vs. Alabama
  5. 05 Maroon and White Football Will Mississippi State's secondary be the difference on Saturday?