OT - Oculus Quest 2

Seinfeld

All-American
Nov 30, 2006
11,640
7,901
113
I’ve been itching to get on the VR train for a couple years now, but when it comes down to shelling out $400, I just can’t justify it by playing maybe 30 minutes of a game every couple weeks. I also had assumed that games cost about the same as iPad apps, but man was I wrong. Most are $30+

Anyway, one thing I do definitely do a lot is stream shows, and I’m just curious... have any of y’all tried VR for watching Netflix, movies, etc? Any other uses for VR that would make it something that doesn’t end up sitting in a box for 99% of the week?
 

jethreauxdawg

Heisman
Dec 20, 2010
11,900
17,203
113
I played one over the weekend. I’m not a gamer, but that was really cool. I read a couple years ago that there were plans to install special cameras in prime spots at sporting events so you could watch the game through the VR head set and get the same views as being on the front row. Not sure that helps now, but maybe you should go ahead and buy one just to be ready.
 

WrightGuy821

Senior
Mar 13, 2019
407
466
63
The Oculus has a way to watch Netflix, it’s actually pretty neat and the quality is crazy good. It puts you in like a simulated cabin living room to watch Netflix from with amazing graphics and video quality
 

Seinfeld

All-American
Nov 30, 2006
11,640
7,901
113
Thanks, and good point about the sports aspect. I know that the NBA has been trying to get courtside VR going for a couple years now, but it’s been limited to 1-2 games/wk, and it looks like they haven’t figured it out for ‘21 yet. Seems like a cool concept, but I guess it also feels like the sporting world just hasn’t figured out what to do with VR yet.

I held off on getting a headset last year because I didn’t want to get something that was about to be replaced, but I think I’ll pick up a Quest 2 before too long. If I can stream Netflix and movies on it while occasionally playing/watching a game, I should get pretty good use out of it
 

jethreauxdawg

Heisman
Dec 20, 2010
11,900
17,203
113
Seems like the NBA bubble would’ve been the perfect place for it. I wonder why they didn’t use it more if the tech was available?
 

BigMotherTucker

Sophomore
Aug 20, 2006
6,805
199
63
True dat... But on top of that. My wife and kid love beat Saber, I have all the star wars games for it, myst, climb, and just got a VR football game that I can't put down. It's pretty emersive.
 

mcdawg22

Heisman
Sep 18, 2004
13,673
12,184
113
True dat... But on top of that. My wife and kid love beat Saber, I have all the star wars games for it, myst, climb, and just got a VR football game that I can't put down. It's pretty emersive.
Pretty much the same. We like Sports Scramble, Roller Coasters and the TopGolf game. For the OP my only concern with watching a lot of sports/streaming would be the headset would start irritating your face.
 

johnson86-1

All-American
Aug 22, 2012
15,185
5,726
113
I’ve been itching to get on the VR train for a couple years now, but when it comes down to shelling out $400, I just can’t justify it by playing maybe 30 minutes of a game every couple weeks. I also had assumed that games cost about the same as iPad apps, but man was I wrong. Most are $30+

Anyway, one thing I do definitely do a lot is stream shows, and I’m just curious... have any of y’all tried VR for watching Netflix, movies, etc? Any other uses for VR that would make it something that doesn’t end up sitting in a box for 99% of the week?

Man, that was a round about way of asking if vr porn is worth it.
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White Baseball "This is Home": 2028 OF Axton Westmoreland commits to Mississippi State
  2. 02 Maroon and White Basketball Mississippi State MBK Assistants speak on size and length added to 26-27 squad
  3. 03 Maroon and White Football "Go make the play": Mississippi State HC Jeff Lebby on Defense and responding to Alabama game
  4. 04 Maroon and White Basketball Mississippi State WBK to play exhibition at Choctaw Central HS
  5. 05 Rivals Football Recruiting WR Darion Moseley backs off pledge to Arkansas, has Big Ten and SEC schools on his list