OT: Pro Tip On Brake Replacement

Jeffreauxdawg

All-American
Dec 15, 2017
8,891
8,003
113
Just had my brakes replaced on my truck back in March. I had the dealership do it while I was getting an O2 sensor replaced under warranty. 1200 miles and a month later I am driving along through downtown, and clunk-bang-boom as soon as I hit the brakes at 35 mph.

Then it stops, until I released the brake pedal, and clunk-bang, boom. I knew what it was immediately. The calipers. I replaced my own brakes 20 years ago and didn't use locktite on the caliper bolts. Sucker fell of and destroyed my rim back then...

In a miracle of timing I was on my way to my tire place this afternoon to get my winter/summer tires rotated. So I coasted about a mile timing lights without hitting brakes all the way to the shop and they confirmed the caliper bolts were AWOL. He said it happens way more than anyone would believe.

If you get your brakes replaced. Make the technician write down what the caliper bolts were torqued to and confirm that he applied loctite. I was really close to having a very bad day. Already called the dealership. Going to get he repair covered and a free oil change.
 

Mobile Bay

All-Conference
Jul 26, 2020
4,242
2,184
113
May I ask what you drive?

120k miles on my Tacoma and the pads haven't even squeaked. Makes me nervous.
 

Dawgpile

Senior
May 23, 2006
2,414
912
113
I've done brake jobs on my cars/trucks dozens of times over the years... Never used a torque wrench, never used Loctite, never had a problem.
 
Last edited:
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White Football "Complementary team football is what they're doing really well": Alabama HC Kalen DeBoer on Mississippi State matchup
  2. 02 Maroon and White Football SEC Nation returns to Starkville, beginning with Friday Finebaum show
  3. 03 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State Week 5 Preview: Alabama Players to Know
  4. 04 Rivals Football Recruiting No. 16 Mississippi State hosts Alabama with a 2027 flip target, two elite QBs and other top prospects visiting
  5. 05 Rivals Football Recruiting How strong is CB Julian McDonald’s Mississippi State commitment with LSU still pushing?