OT: Restaurant chains you miss

TiogaLion

Oct 31, 2021
There is one Gingerbread Man left and it's in Carlisle. I used to love their Super Nachos with sour cream and guacamole.

Reactions: ODShowtime

wbcbus

Oct 8, 2021
I loved the Pizza Hut lunch buffet when I was in graduate school. Of course, I had little money back then, so a cheap trough was revered. Any buffet.

You revered the Beaver Stadium urinal troughs? I guess it’s a type of buffet, not that there’s anything wrong with that.

• Wow
Reactions: BobPSU92

Woodpecker

Oct 7, 2021
I have some good news for you, my friend.
Wow, the DP must have been almost new when my buddy's POS Datsun broke down on I80 on our way back to school. We managed to get it into the Dutch Pantry parking lot and, when we couldn't get it started, we hitched the rest of the way. As far as I know, he just left it there.

PSU87

Oct 12, 2021
Loved the old sit down Pizza Hut in the Port on the Golden Strip. Big red plastic cups full of beer or pepsi, great salad bar, and really good pizza.

KFC used to have a good buffet up until around the turn of the century. Taters, gravy, slaw, and all the bird you wanted.
Ahh...the days when Pizza Hut had good pizza. Yes.

• Love

Roar More

Oct 30, 2021
Still one located on Ohio 23 (High Street) in Worthington north of C’bus.

As a follow-up, it apparently is closed now. :-(

I have been to the Dutch Pantry in Clearfield, although over 20 years ago.

Another chain I haven’t seen in years is The Red Barn.
Ah, Red Barn. I worked at the one on South Atherton. We were permitted to take home any unsold product when we closed. It's amazing how much fried chicken was prepared in anticpation of that last half hour rush that never materialized.

eilion

Oct 21, 2022

The Club Burger

They used to sell drinks in Loony Tunes glasses too

Those glasses ruled but the burgers were among the worst ever.

Roar More

Oct 30, 2021
A local Pittsburgh chain that lasted for a hot minute was Winky's. Supposedly there was one in Wilmerding.

I was known to enjoy the Chi Chi's lunch buffet, especially the churros with strawberry sauce.

I saw a Pizza Hut lunch buffet last week in Cranberry, PA. Unfortunately, it was at 5:30.

I concur that Roy Rogers made a good roast beef sandwich.

Hometown buffet was also good for stretching my federal per diem budget.

Most Pittsburghers of a certain age miss Isaly's, especially their skyscraper cones. Toasted almond fudge was my favorite. (My mother would buy it by the tub.) They still live on via Klondikes and chipped chopped ham bbq sauce.

Reactions: Bison13 and Fac

PSU Mike

Oct 6, 2021
Can we start a list of fast food we wished would disappear for the good of all mankind?

Arby’s “roast beef.” I mean does anybody need some thick soggy paper bags served up as a premium sandwich?

Reactions: PSUJam

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
A local Pittsburgh chain that lasted for a hot minute was Winky's. Supposedly there was one in Wilmerding.

I was known to enjoy the Chi Chi's lunch buffet, especially the churros with strawberry sauce.

I saw a Pizza Hut lunch buffet last week in Cranberry, PA. Unfortunately, it was at 5:30.

I concur that Roy Rogers made a good roast beef sandwich.

Hometown buffet was also good for stretching my federal per diem budget.

Most Pittsburghers of a certain age miss Isaly's, especially their skyscraper cones. Toasted almond fudge was my favorite. (My mother would buy it by the tub.) They still live on via Klondikes and chipped chopped ham bbq sauce.
I liked Chi' CHi's I liked their fried Ice Cream.
There still are some Roy's on the PA and NJ turnpike.

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
Can we start a list of fast food we wished would disappear for the good of all mankind?

Arby’s “roast beef.” I mean does anybody need some thick soggy paper bags served up as a premium sandwich?
As fast food places go I like Arby's. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Roar More

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Also technically a chain restaurant for eastern PA was Seafood Shanty. I used to go to the one on the Warrington/Doylestown border. Was a big deal back in the day to go out there. Started in Berks county I believe here is a link on the the restaurant chain back then...

Seafood Shanty Link

Captain Geech and the Shrimp Shack Shooters were regular performers there.

Reactions: Bwifan

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
Tony Roma's was Miami based and spawned a lot of good rib joints in SoFla.

DeCesare's in North Palm was the best mid 80's. I sat at the circular bar one night while Mickey, Whitey, and Billy told stories for drinks.

I miss those style ribs. They weren't smoked. They were greasy and fatty. And delicious.

Reactions: Zenophile

SleepyLion

Sep 1, 2022
I have some good news for you, my friend.
We eat there 3 or 4 times a year. Usually someone over the age of 90 is making the choice of where to go. It is still pretty good comfort food.

Nittany.Lion

Oct 6, 2021
Tony Roma's was Miami based and spawned a lot of good rib joints in SoFla.

DeCesare's in North Palm was the best mid 80's. I sat at the circular bar one night while Mickey, Whitey, and Billy told stories for drinks.

I miss those style ribs. They weren't smoked. They were greasy and fatty. And delicious.
I used to go to Tony Romas frequently back in the mid-80's when I lived in WPB, iirc, off Palm Beach Lakes Blvd at the time. The baby backs were my/wife's favorites. Their website shows two locations in SFL, one in WPB, I thought the chain had shut down.

Reactions: MtNittany

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
I used to go to Tony Romas frequently back in the mid-80's when I lived in WPB, iirc, off Palm Beach Lakes Blvd at the time. The baby backs were my/wife's favorites. Their website shows two locations in SFL, one in WPB, I thought the chain had shut down.
There was one in Stuart on US 1 until a couple of years ago. I never made it up there before they shuttered.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Boston Market.

Just my 2 cents but Roy Rogers is awful. How on earth they are still in business on the PA Turnpike is mind boggling.

BW Lion

Oct 14, 2021
I need to go research the history of “Big Boy” as it seems the Shoney’s departed from the franchise and thus most the rotund burger bearers ((which are worth a lot of $$ if you can find one)

I’m more familiar with Bob’s Big Boy, but that might be more of a Midwestern thing.

BW Lion

Oct 14, 2021
Sign of the Beefcarver.

And they’re still open. 👍👍

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
Boston Market.

Just my 2 cents but Roy Rogers is awful. How on earth they are still in business on the PA Turnpike is mind boggling.
I'm sure it is awful - especially if the state is involved. Pretty much everything is now. There was a time though that it was good. Really good on College Ave. at 2am.

Latest posts