OT: State of Penn State(If anyone cares about this stuff)

Fizz1

Oct 30, 2021
University-wide (excluding Penn College of Technology), fall 2020 total enrollment stands at 89,816, down by 1.8% or 1,611 from 2019. At University Park, enrollment decreased by 1.8% or 822 students to 45,901. Overall enrollment at Commonwealth Campuses, including Great Valley, declined by 5.1% to a total of 26,926. Undergraduate enrollment (excluding Penn College of Technology) declined by 2.2% from 76,099 in 2019 to 74,446 in 2020.

Fall enrollment for 2021 at UP is 40,600.

These numbers are from PSU's enrollment website.
Enrollment statistics are easy to fix. Lower entrance standards, which would be a shame.

PSUFTG

Nov 1, 2021
Enrollment statistics are easy to fix. Lower entrance standards, which would be a shame.
You are right, obviously. Unfortunately, that has already been done (rather dramatically) and still seats (most notably at commonwealth campuses) remain empty.
There are many reasons why, of course.

PSU12046

Oct 18, 2021
You are right, obviously. Unfortunately, that has already been done (rather dramatically) and still seats (most notably at commonwealth campuses) remain empty.
There are many reasons why, of course.
From Yesterday's "Town Hall Meeting":

Penn State operated at nearly a $200 million deficit throughout the 2021-22 fiscal year, prompting a new university-wide “strategic hiring freeze” that’s expected to stretch through at least summer 2023. Many factors increased that deficit, officials said, including enrollment declines, limited state funding, COVID-19-related economic pressures and nationwide inflation.

Bendapudi said the university received an exception from its Board of Trustees to approve its next fiscal year budget in September rather than this past July, when fiscal budgets are typically considered each year

Manofsteel200

Oct 27, 2021
A crappy advisor brings back so many memories. Look on the bright side - you have a prime opportunity to teach her no one will ever or can ever look out for her interests better than she can.
Overall, at least with Neeli we are starting to address the deficits, or least acknowledge that all is NOT well. I used to tell my boys that the only education I would pay for was a PSU education. That isn’t the case anymore. I’d rather they not attend PSU due to financial reasons.

Manofsteel200

Oct 27, 2021
A crappy advisor brings back so many memories. Look on the bright side - you have a prime opportunity to teach her no one will ever or can ever look out for her interests better than she can.
I had the same issues 29 years ago. And your advice is sound. Learn for yourself what you need to take. After my initial consult with my advisor, I never went back.

J.E.B

Oct 30, 2021
Minute eight - Sara Thorndike - balance sheet is great. Apparently you are supposed to ignore all of Neeli's comments about the deficit.
“Neeli gets it”! We Are. What she didn’t say is Barron and the cabal screwed this pooch up big time and she is here to inflict pain that was coming one way or another. His merry band of theives are in retirement enjoying consultation fees otherwise known as golden parachutes. No more lush buffets. Its happy meals at the drive thru. Enjoy your museum. Now get in the car, kids.

91Joe95

Oct 6, 2021
“Neeli gets it”! We Are. What she didn’t say is Barron and the cabal screwed this pooch up big time and she is here to inflict pain that was coming one way or another. His merry band of theives are in retirement enjoying consultation fees otherwise known as golden parachutes. No more lush buffets. Its happy meals at the drive thru. Enjoy your museum. Now get in the car, kids.

Actually she said they did, and are doing, a great job. I'm about 20 minutes in, and while I want to acknowledge they are at least talking about the problem, they don't seem remotely interested in cutting real costs. They're cutting numbers that haven't been spent and calling it a reduction, they want to jack up revenue (i.e., tuition, fees, etc). Their master plan is to bring in consultants. Earlier Neeli said even some in upper levels of management didn't understand the size of the deficit. That's a pretty extraordinary statement, and yet she gives them a vote of confidence. The continued double speak by everyone on the panel screams more of the same.

Reactions: Psu00 and PSUFTG

Moogy

Nov 23, 2021
We have a freshman currently at Main. We spent freshman orientation doing all the fluff then she went off to schedule classes with her academic advisor. She was with him for 1 1/2 hours and came out stressed to the max. She then tells me he had her take a 4 credit Statistics class to which I replied are you effing kidding me? She tried to reach out to get things changed and it turned out he was no longer with the University and wasn't assigned with a new advisor until classes started then was assigned a temporary advisor. I'm living it not bitching from my couch.

They had/have advisors at PSU? I wonder if I had one in the early/mid-90s when I went there?

Reactions: Dalions81

Moogy

Nov 23, 2021
My guess is that they could stop educating people (just sit in class and stare at old game clips) and hike tuition up to $200K per year, but as long as they renamed the school to Joe Paterno University and had shrines dedicated to him on every corner (including making that new museum the Museum o' Joe Paterno), many of the posters here would think it's the greatest place on earth and would send their kids/grandkids there without hesitation.

91Joe95

Oct 6, 2021
My guess is that they could stop educating people (just sit in class and stare at old game clips) and hike tuition up to $200K per year, but as long as they renamed the school to Joe Paterno University and had shrines dedicated to him on every corner (including making that new museum the Museum o' Joe Paterno), many of the posters here would think it's the greatest place on earth and would send their kids/grandkids there without hesitation.

You should probably suggest that to the Uuniversity because they seem to be out of ideas.

OuiRPSU

Oct 6, 2021
I have friends who are third generation PSU grads and long-time season-ticket holders. They're heading to Auburn this weekend to cheer for PSU and cheer for their son who will be marching with the Auburn band. PSU was his dream school, but the excellent grades and test schools that earned him nothing from State earned him merit scholarships at Auburn. (Alabama offered him more, but he thought the social scene was too Greek-focused for his taste.) Auburn offered him more to be part of the band than PSU offered him in total. The debt he would have taken on by going to Penn State just wasn't/isn't worth it.
Yep. Bama definitely has a big Greek scene, but so does PSU. My son had no interest in joining a fraternity and there was plenty of other stuff for him to do there. The campus is nice, but PSU is WAY nicer. Tuscaloosa is also kind of a dump. Well, at least some of it is.

Reactions: ewb75

OuiRPSU

Oct 6, 2021
Yep, including my son, SEC 1st semester freshman. At least 15 kids from our area went south with great academic scholarships in 4 or 5 schools…
Big SEC schools are making a huge push up north and it’s a pretty easy sell, actually: A big university with a big football program, tons of options outside of athletics, a crap ton of scholarship money, and a winter that doesn’t come close to parking lot 80. What’s not to like?

Reactions: ewb75 and Bison13

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Actually she said they did, and are doing, a great job. I'm about 20 minutes in, and while I want to acknowledge they are at least talking about the problem, they don't seem remotely interested in cutting real costs. They're cutting numbers that haven't been spent and calling it a reduction, they want to jack up revenue (i.e., tuition, fees, etc). Their master plan is to bring in consultants. Earlier Neeli said even some in upper levels of management didn't understand the size of the deficit. That's a pretty extraordinary statement, and yet she gives them a vote of confidence. The continued double speak by everyone on the panel screams more of the same.

Do you really think Neeli Is going to call out her bosses publicly? That isn’t wise.

Reactions: Bison13

OaktonDave

Oct 12, 2021
It’s a free country. If students feel that they would rather go elsewhere because of “value”, so be it. There are a lot of less expensive options including community colleges they can attend for a cheap education. Apparently many of them still choose PSU over these less expensive options, and the numbers that make that choice are increasing. There are plenty of factors other than cost which obviously factor into choices students and their parents make, and many of us who graduated from PSU are wealthy as a result of our PSU degree, so cost is a non factor fortunately
There are schools rated significantly higher than PSU that cost $10,000+ less per year and offer similar college experiences (college town, strong school spirit, good social scene, good intercollegiate athletics, etc.) In many cases, one isn't choosing between Penn State and community colleges, but between Penn State and better schools that cost significantly less. I'm financially comfortable enough to have retired at 56, but if the car I want to buy is much more expensive at my favorite dealership than the identical car at another dealership, I'm not buying from my favorite dealership for sentimental reasons. As you said, it's a free country, and if people want to spend an extra $50K for sentimental reasons it their money. Personally, I'd rather spend or donate the $50K elsewhere.

Last edited:

TheBigUglies

Oct 26, 2021
Wow. Lots of great points in this thread and similar experiences.

I too had a crappy/non-existent advisors back in the 80s. My kids the past few years have complained to me that they couldn't get appts with their advisors in time to make class schedule adjustments, etc. The advisors seem to disappear when the students need them the most around the beginning of each semester. One advisor had an automated email response saying they are not available.

Someone earlier said to layoff everyone, however, I know some people on the frontlines that keep this place together when the upper management do don't squat. I think the master plan to bring in consultants is probably a good idea because those in decision making positions have gotten lazy or are incompetent in their cushy jobs which is adding to the problems. Ever since I moved to State College the word was that once you get a job at PSU you are set for life because they don't fire anybody. This seems to have resulted to having a bunch of people who don't really give a crap and are just collecting a paycheck until they can retire with the pension.

Also, we are not pissed that they are trying to fix it, many on here have been questioning the lack of leadership and constant spending(buildings, assistant ADs, etc) over the past 10 years which is not a problem. Imagine that some on this board saw this coming many many years ago.

Also, also, PSU are tight wads with merit scholarships, I know many kids who are ranked top in class, high SAT/ACT scores, who get nothing from PSU and end up going elsewhere because the other university offers them money.

One last thing I heard, international students make decisions based on rankings, now that PSU rankings are in the crapper, I am expecting the international student application/attendance to start dropping. The international students bring a lot of money to this town and spend it(Cars, Housing, electronics, etc). They also pay out of state tuition I believe so that is probably going to take a hit as well.

Anyway, I hope PSU can get their heads out their asses and fix this.

Last edited:

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
They had/have advisors at PSU? I wonder if I had one in the early/mid-90s when I went there?
When we called in classes from our land line after sorting through the one inch thick book only to find the class filled?

Reactions: republion

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
There are schools rated significantly higher than PSU that cost $10,000+ less per year and offer similar college experiences (college town, strong school spirit, good social scene, good intercollegiate athletics, etc.) In many cases, one isn't choosing between Penn State and community colleges, but between Penn State and better schools that cost significantly less. I'm financially comfortable enough to have retired at 56, but if the car I want to buy is a much more expensive at my favorite dealership than the identical car at another dealership, I'm not buying from my favorite dealership for sentimental reasons. As you said, it's a free country, and if people want to spend an extra $50K for sentimental reasons it their money. Personally, I'd rather spend or donate the $50K elsewhere.

How much does ranking mean? Say all things are the same, but PSU's USN&WR ranking is something like 35. I think it's been shown that PSU has some very good academic programs - many in business and engineering are nationally ranked in the top ten. It's worth noting that one of the key metrics USN&WR uses in their ranking is 'peer assessment'. Which is a number - on a scale of 1-5 - assigned by every college president and admissions director for every other university in the country which is supposed to measure their perceived academic reputation of said universities. Now, how does the President of the University of Alabama know if or how good a school say, the University of Maine is at providing a quality education? How do they know what number to assign? Maybe they heard Maine has a good hockey team? Unfortunately doesn't matter. It's still counted and weighed in with everything else. And finances/financial health is also a big consideration (endowment, etc.). So, a lot has to do with reputation and money - do the math....(@LionJim )....

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
How much does ranking mean? Say all things are the same, but PSU's USN&WR ranking is something like 35. I think it's been shown that PSU has some very good academic programs - many in business and engineering are nationally ranked in the top ten. It's worth noting that one of the key metrics USN&WR uses in their ranking is 'peer assessment'. Which is a number - on a scale of 1-5 - assigned by every college president and admissions director for every other university in the country which is supposed to measure their perceived academic reputation of said universities. Now, how does the President of the University of Alabama know if or how good a school say, the University of Maine is at providing a quality education? How do they know what number to assign? Maybe they heard Maine has a good hockey team? Unfortunately doesn't matter. It's still counted and weighed in with everything else. And finances/financial health is also a big consideration (endowment, etc.). So, a lot has to do with reputation and money - do the math....(@LionJim )....

I also laugh a bit at the broad brush by which USN&WR categorizes “National Universities”. Some years ago, Penn State and Yeshiva University were ranked close together. “Hmmm…do I go to Penn State or Yeshiva? They’re both ranked high and are oh so similar schools.”

When you look at that list, I think you will see a lot of schools that kids aren’t choosing between by virtue of size, cost, location, academic focus, etc. It often is not an apples to apples comparison.

Oh well. F*ck us anyway and just because.

PSUFTG

Nov 1, 2021
Which would be a strong argument as to why one should look at actual relevant data, rather than "rankings".
But that is significantly more taxing on time, effort, and reason - than is "what's the rank?". On the other hand, those who do (look at actual data) will not only have a clearer picture of "where things are", but will also have a much better understanding of "why", and a reasonable ability to know how change can be achieved.

OaktonDave

Oct 12, 2021
Fair points. The overall ranking have a lot of subjectivity as do the individual academic programs, albeit to a lesser degree. I would also think there are some regional biases that come into play, although I doubt those biases would adversely affect PSU. When looking at schools, we've focused on factors that are important to our son. Focusing just on his planned major, Penn State didn't distinguish itself over most of the schools on his list; it was similar. Given the significant cost difference (even if we could get in-state rates.) One would hope that it would stand out, but it doesn't. If we were looking at small schools that don't offer what PSU offers, one could argue we're not comparing similar schools, but that not the case.

My sense (not something I get from you) is that many around the university think that PSU is so much better than other schools that the cost should be seen as a matter of getting what you pay for. Unless the frame of reference is confined to state schools in PA, that view is mistaken.

Last edited:

Lion10

Nov 1, 2021
Explosion Reaction GIF
This one brings about a huge laugh from me every time I see it (and I see it a lot on here). Classic!

Last edited:
Reactions: PSU12046

Nitwit

Oct 12, 2021
Wow. Lots of great points in this thread and similar experiences.

I too had a crappy/non-existent advisors back in the 80s. My kids the past few years have complained to me that they couldn't get appts with their advisors in time to make class schedule adjustments, etc. The advisors seem to disappear when the students need them the most around the beginning of each semester. One advisor had an automated email response saying they are not available.

Someone earlier said to layoff everyone, however, I know some people on the frontlines that keep this place together when the upper management do don't squat. I think the master plan to bring in consultants is probably a good idea because those in decision making positions have gotten lazy or are incompetent in their cushy jobs which is adding to the problems. Ever since I moved to State College the word was that once you get a job at PSU you are set for life because they don't fire anybody. This seems to have resulted to having a bunch of people who don't really give a crap and are just collecting a paycheck until they can retire with the pension.

Also, we are not pissed that they are trying to fix it, many on here have been questioning the lack of leadership and constant spending(buildings, assistant ADs, etc) over the past 10 years which is not a problem. Imagine that some on this board saw this coming many many years ago.

Also, also, PSU are tight wads with merit scholarships, I know many kids who are ranked top in class, high SAT/ACT scores, who get nothing from PSU and end up going elsewhere because the other university offers them money.

One last thing I heard, international students make decisions based on rankings, now that PSU rankings are in the crapper, I am expecting the international student application/attendance to start dropping. The international students bring a lot of money to this town and spend it(Cars, Housing, electronics, etc). They also pay out of state tuition I believe so that is probably going to take a hit as well.

Anyway, I hope PSU can get their heads out their asses and fix this.
Covid travel restrictions caused the numbers of international students to decline (especially Chinese students) over the past two years and this contributed to the decline in tuition income. Now that classes are back to in person teaching and it’s easier to travel internationally those students are returning to campuses across the USA, not just at PSU of course. Since they pay substantially more for their tuition, this will provide some positive financial impact.

Reactions: TheBigUglies

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
My advisor was so bad the only way I got in to classes that I needed was because I knew the registrar Mr Wager.

Wager should have been in the Office of the Bursar. $$$$$

”Wager, wanna wager whether these kids can pay their bills?” 🤣

😞

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Covid travel restrictions caused the numbers of international students to decline (especially Chinese students) over the past two years and this contributed to the decline in tuition income. Now that classes are back to in person teaching and it’s easier to travel internationally those students are returning to campuses across the USA, not just at PSU of course. Since they pay substantially more for their tuition, this will provide some positive financial impact.

Except that Penn State will continue to prioritize its mission to serve Pennsylvanians.

BeerLion

Oct 12, 2021
As the dad of a HS senior, the line that troubles you is the very reason we haven't seriously looked at Penn State. As a Virginia resident, the value PSU offers does not justify the expense when other schools offer a comparable education and college experience at a much lower cost.
I also live in Virginia and my daughter is a freshman this year. When looking at colleges she asked about going to PSU, mainly because she thought I would like her to go there. I told her if she wanted to go there she would have to come up with big scholarships or big loans because I an not going to consider paying what they want. (approx: $54,000 per year) She choose James Madison University. In a lot of ways it reminds me of PSU. In the mountains, small town in the middle of nowhere. She loves the place, I love the place and it is only (I say only) $20,000 a year. She can go nearly three years for the price of one at PSU. Both those figures are for tuition, room board and all the fees they add on.

TheBigUglies

Oct 26, 2021
Wasn't talking past. Was talking future based on rumblings I have heard from some intl students.

Metal Mike

Oct 28, 2021
Observations:

Back in the day when I was looking at schools, what I would major in was a key part of my decision. Did the school have my major and the ranking of the major against other schools.

When the Board of Trustees changed how to select replacements for the Business and Industry representatives it had a major negative impact on the Board. No longer would professional organizations nominate individuals, but now outgoing Board Members nominate a replacement.

The whole thing with the firing of Paterno, the Sandusky affair, the Freed Report and the way the University treated the Alumni caused many of us to stop giving. This has contributed to the deficit.

The decline under Barron in conjunction with the Board’s actions resulted in the decline. The Alumni no longer cared about the University.

If one looks at ranking from before 2012 and now this decline is a result of the decisions made by the Board.

Just my 2 cents.

J.E.B

Oct 30, 2021
Why complain about the ratings and how unfair they are to PSU? Admit there is a hill to climb and stake a claim to making it better. It comes off like whining and defending the previous regime who let it fall. Embrace it and better it. Low bar to improve upon. You can do it Neeli. Tighten the chin strap and get after it.

Reactions: 91Joe95

BriarwoodBash

Oct 12, 2021
So apparently there was a town hall today with the new Pres. I have heard people came out of it thoroughly frustrated and worrying about their jobs because it was all about budget deficit and things are not well within the ivory towers. Employee retention and morale are at an all time low according to the Pres(I did not see that mentioned in the article but heard from many that the pres made that statement). There was a mention of layoffs and restructuring in the meeting but the article seems to sugar coat that saying that someone said there will not be mass layoffs.

This line is especially troubling to me:

"This week, U.S. News & World Report rated Penn State the 207th-best school for value out of 223 national universities. It ranked last among all Big Ten institutions."

https://www.statecollege.com/penn-s...-tuition-increases-during-virtual-town-halls/
Thank for posting this, Big. I think deep down, most Alums still care what PSU is and becomes. As I see it, main issue is BOT doesn’t seem accountable to anyone. Who is it that says “ this isn’t ok and changes must be made”? Truly asking because I don’t know.

Nitwit

Oct 12, 2021
Wasn't talking past. Was talking future based on rumblings I have heard from some intl students.
I think the reputation of PSU’s engineering and computer sciences curriculum remain very strong and attractive to foreign students from Asia, and the cost is generally not a factor for these students. It’s more a question of what level of foreign or out of state students does PSU want to admit in order to alleviate any shortfall in tuition revenue. Some state universities such as Delaware and West Virginia admit well over 50% from outside their own state.

Reactions: TheBigUglies

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Why complain about the ratings and how unfair they are to PSU? Admit there is a hill to climb and stake a claim to making it better. It comes off like whining and defending the previous regime who let it fall. Embrace it and better it. Low bar to improve upon. You can do it Neeli. Tighten the chin strap and get after it.

One must realize that what one says publicly and behind closed doors can, and likely does, vary significantly. No way is Neeli going to publicly accept the rankings and say, “Well, we have work to do”, especially given Penn State’s broader academic reputation, which is better than the USN&WR ranking. Part of her job is to publicly talk up and promote Penn State.

Last edited:

Bison13

Oct 13, 2021
I also live in Virginia and my daughter is a freshman this year. When looking at colleges she asked about going to PSU, mainly because she thought I would like her to go there. I told her if she wanted to go there she would have to come up with big scholarships or big loans because I an not going to consider paying what they want. (approx: $54,000 per year) She choose James Madison University. In a lot of ways it reminds me of PSU. In the mountains, small town in the middle of nowhere. She loves the place, I love the place and it is only (I say only) $20,000 a year. She can go nearly three years for the price of one at PSU. Both those figures are for tuition, room board and all the fees they add on.
My kids have a ways to go and of course what they want to major in plays a part, but I love JMU for the same reasons. One reason I have not brought them to any PSU football games yet is hoping that the longer I wait the less they may want to come

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
People need to realize that Neeli making public statements is just a little different than a bunch of anonymous yahoos posting on a message board.*

* Which, of course, doesn’t change the fact that said anonymous yahoos are ALL.-KNOWING. o_O .

Moogy

Nov 23, 2021
When we called in classes from our land line after sorting through the one inch thick book only to find the class filled?
Yeah, I don't remember the physical process at all, so it must not have been too eventful for me. Look at the book, find the classes you need, the classes you want, and the classes you'll be willing to deal with if class availability/times don't work out for the other classes, and then just register. I don't remember an advisor even being an option. Maybe it's all much more complicated nowadays.

lions1995

Oct 29, 2021
As the dad of a HS senior, the line that troubles you is the very reason we haven't seriously looked at Penn State. As a Virginia resident, the value PSU offers does not justify the expense when other schools offer a comparable education and college experience at a much lower cost.
Same. As a Maryland resident, I have told both my kids they can apply to PSU, but unless there is significant financial aid on the table, they won't be going there. Maryland is a good school and in-state tuition is much lower. I have said in other posts, with the cost of most school for out-of-state students, I am not sure why anyone would leave their state to go to an out-of-state school unless there was significant financial aid on the table.