OT: Tire Recommendations

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Looking for a new set of summer tires this spring. Have it boiled down to BFG KO2 and Yokohama Geolander A/T GO15. Going on a 3/4 ton and they will get about 8-10,000 miles a year, half of which will be pulling an 8,000 lbs travel trailer. Off roading is really just dry rocky trail type stuff, but I dont want to fear a wet spot either (TWHS.)

Wife has KO2's on her Jeep and they are incredible off road and in the snow, but I am not sure if they would be great towing. Never had Geolanders, but have always considered them a premium brand. Both have a 50,000 mile warranty.The geolanders are smoking cheap and would save me $350 for a set of 4.

Anyone have either of these in a tow vehicle? Any reason to pay 30% more for the KO2's?

MrKotter

Aug 22, 2012
A 3/4 ton will eat BFG ATs up. Unless something has changed with them recently, they are pretty soft. At least that was my experience. I have the Yokos you're looking at on a 2003 2500 w/a Duramax and they are wearing much better than my BFGs did. Off road traction goes to the BFGs though. You didn't mention them but the Toyo AT3 is a good tire for 3/4 tons. I have a set on a 2022 2500 gas burner and really like them. Only have about 2000 miles on them but they're holding up well.

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I remember years ago when my dealer talked me into my fist set of Geolanders. Made me a hell of a deal since they were just being introduced . They stayed relative cheap for a couple of more years until people caught on to just how good they were. Well they ain't cheap no more because they proved themselves to be great tires. I think you would be pleased.

Edited to add: My second choice would be Toyo's

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Looking for a new set of summer tires this spring. Have it boiled down to BFG KO2 and Yokohama Geolander A/T GO15. Going on a 3/4 ton and they will get about 8-10,000 miles a year, half of which will be pulling an 8,000 lbs travel trailer. Off roading is really just dry rocky trail type stuff, but I dont want to fear a wet spot either (TWHS.)

Wife has KO2's on her Jeep and they are incredible off road and in the snow, but I am not sure if they would be great towing. Never had Geolanders, but have always considered them a premium brand. Both have a 50,000 mile warranty.The geolanders are smoking cheap and would save me $350 for a set of 4.

Anyone have either of these in a tow vehicle? Any reason to pay 30% more for the KO2's?
Don’t worry about tires as long as you wrap ‘em around some cragar classics***
1674925895577.jpeg

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
My uncle sells tires and recommended geotours on my truck. He says they’re good for the price and what I do. I pretty much drive on paved roads 99% of the time. They are only a month old, so I have very little personal experience, but my uncle put them on his vehicle and he drives 100 miles/day and likes them.
I’ll never put Michelins on a vehicle again. Despite rotating regularly, I’ve never gotten close to the rated mileage. Michelin prorated the warranty but I was not impressed.

ETA: they are GeoDrive tires.

Last edited:

MaxwellSmart

May 28, 2007
I don't own a 3/4 ton but I've had ATKO2, Geolander and ToyoAT/3 on my trucks and Geolander wore out the quickest. The 10 ply KO 2s on my current truck still look new with 25k miles on them. The Toyo's got around 74k miles on them and that's what I was going to go back with but they were backordered for several weeks. I tried Geolanders on a jeep and a 1/2 ton and neither set made it past 50k miles.

grinningmule

Jul 15, 2021
I put General Grabber A/TX on my last truck. Ride is smooth and quiet. Similar tread pattern to the BFG. I ended buying them through Walmart with the lifetime road hazard, rotation/balance.
1674933350528.png

Treemydawg

Sep 29, 2013
I’ve had the Yokohama a/t 3 on my 3500 truck for the for the last two years. I’m on my third set and I can’t find a complaint about them. They last longer than any other tire I have ran.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I got Geolanders. My off roading consists of steep gravel mountain roads. Occasional slush. Not much mud. They handle it with no problems. Most of all, they are fairly quiet doing 75.

garddog

Dec 10, 2008
Only 1 choice for 3/4 ton if your pulling on roads mainly.

Michelin LTX

Should get 80k out of them easily as long as you rotate and keep it aligned.

Geolander's are better than KO2, but no where close to the longevity of the LTX.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Only 1 choice for 3/4 ton if your pulling on roads mainly.

Michelin LTX

Should get 80k out of them easily as long as you rotate and keep it aligned.

Geolander's are better than KO2, but no where close to the longevity of the LTX.
I mentioned summer tire, but based on where I live, I still need my summer tires to be 3Peak rated for those May and June snow storms. The only Michelin that fits my truck and is both E and 3P rated is the Agilis. I had LTX's on my F150 when I moved out here and was sliding everywhere on them in snow and ice.

The LTX was great in the south though, I remember when I traded it in they commented on the brand new Michelins... Had like 25k miles om them.

I think I am going to go with the Geolanders or Grabber ATX recommended. It appears the mixed reviews on the KO2'S are because they have 2 rubber compounds. The original is soft and bad when towing, but 3peak rated. They also have the same tire made with "DT" rubber that is harder, and holds up to towing, but sucks in snow and ice. Toyos are just too damn expensive.

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
I’ve had Ko2’s on my current truck for 74,000 miles. They still have some tread, but I’m going to get a new set soon because they’ve gotten noisy. They are fantastic tires.
I’ve driven 160,000 miles in 2 different trucks on ko2’s and have never had any issues. No flats.

Reactions: Armchair QB.sixpack

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Have Toyo Open Country A/T III on my truck and Yokahama's on my car. Happy with both,

Last edited:

Anon1664516582

Sep 30, 2022
Yoke’s made in West Point and Cooper’s are made in Tupelo. Continental r made in Himds county and Michelin r made in South Caroline. The former head of Nissan was head of Michelin. He is now ne of the most impressive CEO’s I had ever met. Spoke 17 languages. He fell in love with Mississippi. I used WorldCom’s G4 to go pick him up at LAX from Tokeyo. WorldCom had bought Greg Norman’s old plane. Still had the Shark 🦈 on the instrument panels… That’s the way to fly folks. Fly into a General Aviation spot and never deal with the crap of commercial airports.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Yoke’s made in West Point and Cooper’s are made in Tupelo. Continental r made in Himds county and Michelin r made in South Caroline. The former head of Nissan was head of Michelin. He is now ne of the most impressive CEO’s I had ever met. Spoke 17 languages. He fell in love with Mississippi. I used WorldCom’s G4 to go pick him up at LAX from Tokeyo. WorldCom had bought Greg Norman’s old plane. Still had the Shark 🦈 on the instrument panels… That’s the way to fly folks. Fly into a General Aviation spot and never deal with the crap of commercial airports.
It’s tacky to buy used private jets. Do it right or don’t do it.

Reactions: Anon1664516582

SirBarksalot

May 28, 2007
I would go with the Geolander. I use Falken WildPeaks though. But I only tow around 800lbs.
I was going to vote for WildPeaks as well, but when I saw his rig(s) I’d probably go with the BFGs. Ive had both, but with my fairly lightweight non towing vehicle, I like the Falkens better for my purposes.

Reactions: BoDawg.sixpack