OT: TMB TV/Streaming Shows Club: Thread for streaming/TV show discussion…

Obliviax

Oct 12, 2021
I started watching this when it first came out but never finished. MAX is kind of not promoting it because Ansel Elgort was accused by a 17 year old of soliciting nude photos of her when he was 20 and it was a big topic during his press for West Side Story.

But, I did like what I saw - it's incredibly difficult to do what this guy did (it's a true story) by getting hired by a Japanese newspaper.
I've never been to Japan so only have opinions based on observations. But Japan feels like one of the most unique cultures based on being somewhat Isolated until the last 150 years or so. Japan wasn't easy to get to before the 1850s or so. As such, continues to be a very closed society. Adding to that is a unique language: written and spoken. Tokyo also looks very dystopian. All of that adds to a very unique feel.

I didn't know about Ansel. Although it seems today, if you haven't been accused of sexual assault you aren't trying hard enough. His grasp of the Japanese language has been impressive as is the other gaijin lead, Rachel Keller (Carnegie Mellon Grad).

They are in the middle of releasing season two now.

My sister is headed to Japan on Friday and I am interested in talking to her when she gets back.

Reactions: Midnighter

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
I've never been to Japan so only have opinions based on observations. But Japan feels like one of the most unique cultures based on being somewhat Isolated until the last 150 years or so. Japan wasn't easy to get to before the 1850s or so. As such, continues to be a very closed society. Adding to that is a unique language: written and spoken. Tokyo also looks very dystopian. All of that adds to a very unique feel.

I didn't know about Ansel. Although it seems today, if you haven't been accused of sexual assault you aren't trying hard enough. His grasp of the Japanese language has been impressive as is the other gaijin lead, Rachel Keller (Carnegie Mellon Grad).

They are in the middle of releasing season two now.

My sister is headed to Japan on Friday and I am interested in talking to her when she gets back.

Dystopian? I'd say 'futuristic' - it's extremely clean, modern, and safe for a city of 23 million people. Like a neon New York. And agree - the culture is completely unique; you're just as likely to see women in a kimono on the metro as you are to see cosplayers in Harajuku looking like cyberpunks. Compare that to Beijing where most people have adopted very western apparel and culture. Every country has their issues, Japan is no different, but they are a people who prioritizes the whole over the individual and visiting there is a true joy and adventure because of it (would kill to go back and re-live my three years there as a high-schooler - I fumbled the experience big time....).

The Yakuza stuff is always interesting but a bit overblown. We had lower level motorcycle gangs around where we lived called Bosozoku, but they never bothered us.

Reactions: Obliviax

Obliviax

Oct 12, 2021
Dystopian? I'd say 'futuristic' - it's extremely clean, modern, and safe for a city of 23 million people. Like a neon New York. And agree - the culture is completely unique; you're just as likely to see women in a kimono on the metro as you are to see cosplayers in Harajuku looking like cyberpunks. Compare that to Beijing where most people have adopted very western apparel and culture. Every country has their issues, Japan is no different, but they are a people who prioritizes the whole over the individual and visiting there is a true joy and adventure because of it (would kill to go back and re-live my three years there as a high-schooler - I fumbled the experience big time....).

The Yakuza stuff is always interesting but a bit overblown. We had lower level motorcycle gangs around where we lived called Bosozoku, but they never bothered us.

I recall my first visit to Singapore with a big group of mostly men, in the late 1990s. This was my first visit to the non-western world.

Getting off the bus from the airport, they told us to throw away any playboy or penthouse magazines as being caught with one would get you lashes. In the next breath, they told us to only use hookers who were registered with the govt and had updated health records. It was odd that those two went together. Later that night me and my two friends (one a born-again Christian and a devout jew) were employed by the club's band to dance with this table of three girls. Imagine my surprise when I found out they were hookers and I tried to get a message to my two single friends who thought they were doing great!

It was explained to me that sex was considered a normal bodily function that is not only fun but necessary for health. When asked how they could have hookers all over but not playboy magazines, they explained that it was illegal to get a guy charged up and not fulfill him. They explained that this was one of the reasons why they had ZERO violent crime.

Really my first introduction to the massive differences in culture. Nothing is wrong or right...just different.

I also have to say that Japanese and Korean women are, to me, the least attractive females on the planet (by grouping). Now, the mixed-race gals in Singapore were something quite a bit different.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
I recall my first visit to Singapore with a big group of mostly men, in the late 1990s. This was my first visit to the non-western world.

Getting off the bus from the airport, they told us to throw away any playboy or penthouse magazines as being caught with one would get you lashes. In the next breath, they told us to only use hookers who were registered with the govt and had updated health records. It was odd that those two went together. Later that night me and my two friends (one a born-again Christian and a devout jew) were employed by the club's band to dance with this table of three girls. Imagine my surprise when I found out they were hookers and I tried to get a message to my two single friends who thought they were doing great!

It was explained to me that sex was considered a normal bodily function that is not only fun but necessary for health. When asked how they could have hookers all over but not playboy magazines, they explained that it was illegal to get a guy charged up and not fulfill him. They explained that this was one of the reasons why they had ZERO violent crime.

Really my first introduction to the massive differences in culture. Nothing is wrong or right...just different.

I also have to say that Japanese and Korean women are, to me, the least attractive females on the planet (by grouping). Now, the mixed-race gals in Singapore were something quite a bit different.

Hmm. Similar disposition on sex in Japan - even 'acceptable' to some wives for husbands to engage in extracurriculars as long as it is known and not brought home.

Strong disagree on attractiveness of Japanese women - top three easily for me (with Latina and Eastern Europe).

Obliviax

Oct 12, 2021
Hmm. Similar disposition on sex in Japan - even 'acceptable' to some wives for husbands to engage in extracurriculars as long as it is known and not brought home.

Strong disagree on attractiveness of Japanese women - top three easily for me (with Latina and Eastern Europe).

might be a good poll. I like dark gals: Italian and Latina.

BTW, Season 2 of "Full Swing" dropped today. Last season's PGA tour was kind of crazy with LIV and the Ryder Cup season.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
might be a good poll. I like dark gals: Italian and Latina.

BTW, Season 2 of "Full Swing" dropped today. Last season's PGA tour was kind of crazy with LIV and the Ryder Cup season.

Watching the tennis version - Break Point - episode 1 was about Nick Kyrgios; he's a hot head but so, so talented. Finding out he doesn't have a coach or trainer really explains a lot....

I did a Latina poll sometime ago; can't remember which country won. Italians/French are high on my list too. One thing I noticed living in Europe is that younger German girls were very pretty, but they didn't maintain it by mid-late 20's; just got very plain.

Obliviax

Oct 12, 2021
Watching the tennis version - Break Point - episode 1 was about Nick Kyrgios; he's a hot head but so, so talented. Finding out he doesn't have a coach or trainer really explains a lot....

I did a Latina poll sometime ago; can't remember which country won. Italians/French are high on my list too. One thing I noticed living in Europe is that younger German girls were very pretty, but they didn't maintain it by mid-late 20's; just got very plain.
When I was in Kaliningrad, I was really surprised at how beautiful the women were. First, as is with a lot of euros, they walk a lot and eat better so are in better shape, generally. Second, Kaliningrad has a unique blend of northern, eastern Europe with a mix of Scandanavian. A lot of blond hair, blue eyed, but darker complected gals. If my wife ever dumps me, I will go there for the next Ms. Obliviax.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
When I was in Kaliningrad, I was really surprised at how beautiful the women were. First, as is with a lot of euros, they walk a lot and eat better so are in better shape, generally. Second, Kaliningrad has a unique blend of northern, eastern Europe with a mix of Scandanavian. A lot of blond hair, blue eyed, but darker complected gals. If my wife ever dumps me, I will go there for the next Ms. Obliviax.

I will be in Tokyo.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Wonka on Max. It is a highly entertaining musical, well done, and featuring PSU Alum Keegan Michael Key. Timothee Chalamet is terrific in it.

Took the kids to the theater to see it and they loved it. I thought it was fine too - no need to try to remake the original. Chalamet is really good (he’s good in everything TBH - have you seen The King?) and Key is great. Nice seeing Carson from Downton here too. I could stand for more Hugh Grant as an Oompa Loompa though - he stole the show.

Reactions: Zenophile

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
Took the kids to the theater to see it and they loved it. I thought it was fine too - no need to try to remake the original. Chalamet is really good (he’s good in everything TBH - have you seen The King?) and Key is great. Nice seeing Carson from Downton here too. I could stand for more Hugh Grant as an Oompa Loompa though - he stole the show.
Maybe I'll give it a try. I still have PTSD from the Tim Burton/Johhny Depp remake. :eek:

Got GSPs

Oct 7, 2021
I am loving Shogun so far. I’m three episodes in and am fighting the urge to rewatch them in the mean time before the fourth episode drops on FX.
I’ve seen an early reports saying Shogun season 2 is possible depending upon how the show is received by audiences, and a more recent story saying that there will be no season 2 because the book doesn’t have a season 2 and they like where/how this season ends. Maybe the compromise is another samurai show but the characters and story are new. Kind of like Fargo and True Detectives have done.

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
The great Curb Your Enthusiasm came to its end last night with a satisfying episode that actually addressed and corrected the unsatisfying ending of Seinfeld and included Jerry himself who saved the day. They even brought back the adult woman who played the little girl who hugged Larry in the women’s bathroom when he had stuffed the water bottle into his pants. Man what a show. Gonna miss them all, especially Leon’s extrapolations.

Reactions: laKavosiey-st lion