Jul 21, 2023
This guy

Jams out to make the clams come out.

Swifty

Jan 21, 2022
Jon Lord (Deep Purple)
Richard Wright (Pink Floyd)
Jordan Rudess (Dream Theater)
Derek Sherinian (Planet X, Dream Theater, Platypus, Black Country Communion)

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022
Is Ronnie Milsap underrated?

I know he's a country artist but he's had hits crossover to the pop charts so he might count.

Reactions: Bwellgolf

Harvard Gamecock

Jan 20, 2022
Patrick Moraz
Nicky Hopkins
Although a recognizable name, in my opinion not enough credit is given to
Bruce Hornsby. I've seen him twice in concert, a consummate musician.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bwellgolf

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
Patrick Moraz
Nicky Hopkins
Although a recognizable name, in my opinion not enough credit is give to
Bruce Hornsby. I've seen him twice in concert, a consummate musician.
Forgot about Hornsby - excellent choice. Not as well known as he should be!

Cackmandu

Feb 2, 2022
Last musical post of the off season ;)

Leon Russell
Benmont Tench - TP & Heartbreakers
Chuck Leavell - Allman Bros
Again, these guys are some of the best ever, hard for me to put them in the underrated catagory, but I like the way you think Preston and thanks for keeping the summer threads more on the fun entertaining side!
Leon Russell, jeez what more can you say when Elton idolized him and there wouldn’t have been a mad dogs and englishmen tour without him he was the band leader, his solo career was excellent, go listen to Carney, he also wrote one of those songs that will be covered until the end of time, a song for you!
Chuck Leavell, you could easily say he’s the best ever, his wiki page reads like a who’s who of the history of rock and roll, he’s played and toured with everybody. When Clapton needed a touring keyboardist Leavell’s name was the first mentioned!
Benmont Tench, as I already mentioned the heartbreakers are one of my favorites and no great band doesn’t have a great keyboardist!

in that vein, is Paul Shaffer underrated? He is damn good!

Last edited:
Reactions: Prestonyte

Cockburn

Joined Mar 5, 2000
Jan 19, 2022
Greg Hawkes ~ The Cars
Steve Nieve ~ the Attractions (Elvis Costello)

Harvard Gamecock

Jan 20, 2022
George Winston.
Sadly I just recently heard of his passing. His album December is one of the best Christmas albums I have ever listened to.
EDDIT:
Unless I missed it I'm surprised no one has mentioned Partick Moraz

Last edited:

ToddFlanders

Jan 20, 2022
I’ve been thinking about this for a while, and I think every keyboardist in the rock/pop genre is properly rated. None too high, none underrated.

Harvard Gamecock

Jan 20, 2022
I’ve been thinking about this for a while, and I think every keyboardist in the rock/pop genre is properly rated. None too high, none underrated.
Personally, hard for me to imagine that not ranking Keith Emerson, Rick Wakeman, or Booker T. Jones as very high is an option.

Reactions: Cackmandu

ToddFlanders

Jan 20, 2022
Rated by whom?

It doesn't matter - if you're a rock keyboardist and someone has bothered to even mention your name, you've gotten all the accolades you deserve.

Are there a handful of guys that have made a difference in some great songs? Sure - but they get their due. But in general it's a tertiary instrument at best, and just used to add some depth to the sound.

• Haha
Reactions: Stardust710

Swifty

Jan 21, 2022
It should probably be stated, if not already, that Prince can be named in all of these categories. He was unbelievably proficient at anything he picked up. The same can be said of guys like Brendan O'Brien, Butch Walker and Clay Cook. They fall under the category of "Do you know a _________ player? Prince was better than the person you know."

Stardust710

Jul 21, 2023
It doesn't matter - if you're a rock keyboardist and someone has bothered to even mention your name, you've gotten all the accolades you deserve.

Are there a handful of guys that have made a difference in some great songs? Sure - but they get their due. But in general it's a tertiary instrument at best, and just used to add some depth to the sound.
🤣

Harvard Gamecock

Jan 20, 2022

Something is telling me you were made to take piano lessons and you hated it. 🙂

IOPGCock

Jan 30, 2022
Throwing in a Duke to win the ACC vote for the keyboardist in Faith No More.