OT video of bridge collapse in Baltimore

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Yeah been up watching that. it looks like that Cargo ship hit one of the supports and fell on the ship.

Last edited:

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
Looking at the video you can see lots of cars driving over it but at the moment of impact I couldn't see any.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Our nation's failing infrastructure will be our downfall.**

Kidding in this instance.
Really hope injuries are minimal. The time of incident helps there.
Awful to see this.

preacher_dawg

Nov 12, 2014
Our nation's failing infrastructure will be our downfall.**

Kidding in this instance.
Really hope injuries are minimal. The time of incident helps there.
Awful to see this.
I soooooo badly want to put something political here, but I don’t want to be that guy

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
Would losing power cause it to drift right into the support structure? Hmm. I'm not a suspicious person but...

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
Get ready for our wonderful uniparty to bicker about an infrastructure bill for much needed pier protection for bridges that in actuality neither party want to spend on such uselessness when there’s colleges in Egypt that need our money worse.

bolddogge

Aug 23, 2012
This tragedy raises so many questions with me. So the ship loses power and just slams into the bridge? Both engines? The lights were still functioning on so there was electrical power. Who was piloting the ship? Should have been local. Is traffic supposed to be that close to the bridge anyway or closer to the middle of the span? What were the options when this happened? It wasn't moving that fast. So, there should have been some time to take some type of action. Was dropping the anchor not an option? Maybe it was and just getting drug along behind. Sad situation.

Reactions: preacher_dawg

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
Would losing power cause it to drift right into the support structure? Hmm. I'm not a suspicious person but...
If this was done on purpose to try and kill people don’t you think they would have done it during the day when there is more traffic?

not everything is a conspiracy. I mean there was smoke coming from the boat so it obviously had issues

Baddog11

Aug 28, 2013
I’m sure all captain’s name will be public soon enough, if not already.

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016
I heard a guy on tv this am say that in the harbor, the captain is not in control of the ship. Instead, someone on the dock is.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
If you can't steer the ship under power it would cause it to drift in whatever direction it was heading when it lost power. Inertia and physics stuff trumps conspiracy theory. It looked to be rounding a bend and trying to turn to what would have been the ships right (starboard for you boat people). You could see the thick black smoke on first restart that looks like he was going full throttle to correct but it was too late and then of course power went out again.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I heard a guy on tv this am say that in the harbor, the captain is not in control of the ship. Instead, someone on the dock is.
I would be surprised to hear someone not on the vessel was steering. Typically a pilot is in control in harbors etc.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
If the ship is dead in the water it’s going to do whatever it wants. Those ships have backups but sometimes those fail too. I was talking to a riverboat pilot about a month ago and he had his main go down and the backup failed after about 5 minutes of running and he was drifting dead in the water toward a bridge. Luckily a tug was nearby and came to his rescue to steer him to safety.

Reactions: Maroon13

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I soooooo badly want to put something political here, but I don’t want to be that guy
I went sarcastic with blaming it on aging infrastructure(a political football) to hopefully get ahead of any of the usual hot take tragedy blaming that some do here.
Its a massive boat that malfunctioned and ran into a bridge- tragedies unfortunately happen, even with the best efforts to minimize frequency.

At least 7 people are still missing?...that is horrific to hear- driving on a bridge and its suddenly no longer under you.

Reactions: preacher_dawg

kired

Aug 22, 2008
This was from CNN

The container ship Dali, which had just left the Port of Baltimore and was en route to Colombo, Sri Lanka, was not being piloted by its own crew, but by local pilots who are used specifically to avoid accidents like the one that occurred early Tuesday morning.

"Pilots move ships in and out of the Port of Baltimore," said Maryland Transportation Secretary Paul Wiedefeld at a news conference Tuesday.

The pilots get on board just outside of local channels, and take the ships into ports. Outbound ships like this one take the ships from the ports out to open water.

Reactions: patdog

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
If this was done on purpose to try and kill people don’t you think they would have done it during the day when there is more traffic?

not everything is a conspiracy. I mean there was smoke coming from the boat so it obviously had issues
I missed the smoke but I did see the power loss, so you're probably right. However, if it were a deliberate act, it could have been a "crime of opportunity." Deliberate acts aren't limited to just terrorism or mass murder. Not saying this is the case, but the pilot could've been disgruntled or mentally ill. But again, you're probably right and it was a VERY unfortunate accident.

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
This was from CNN

The container ship Dali, which had just left the Port of Baltimore and was en route to Colombo, Sri Lanka, was not being piloted by its own crew, but by local pilots who are used specifically to avoid accidents like the one that occurred early Tuesday morning.

"Pilots move ships in and out of the Port of Baltimore," said Maryland Transportation Secretary Paul Wiedefeld at a news conference Tuesday.

The pilots get on board just outside of local channels, and take the ships into ports. Outbound ships like this one take the ships from the ports out to open water.
As an aside, riverboat pilots make BANK.

Reactions: Muttley

preacher_dawg

Nov 12, 2014
Why? Which administration are you going to blame for a bridge not being strong enough to handle being hit by something the size of an aircraft carrier?
Not that exactly. Just when I hear people of a certain political persuasion complain about our infrastructure.
I went sarcastic with blaming it on aging infrastructure(a political football) to hopefully get ahead of any of the usual hot take tragedy blaming that some do here.
Its a massive boat that malfunctioned and ran into a bridge- tragedies unfortunately happen, even with the best efforts to minimize frequency.

At least 7 people are still missing?...that is horrific to hear- driving on a bridge and its suddenly no longer under you.
Sorry I missed the sarcasm, and yeah, I agree. Freak accident.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Newer bridges have safety rail under water that will steer the ship clear of the bridge if this happens...

Reactions: eckie1

YesIAmAPirate

Oct 3, 2022
Why? Which administration are you going to blame for a bridge not being strong enough to handle being hit by something the size of an aircraft carrier?
The bridge opened in March 1977, a mere 2 months after Jimmy Carter took office. There's your answer

• Haha

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
This was from CNN

When I was on ship in the Marine Corps and when the ship went into any dock around the world you could watch a little boat travel right up to the side of the ship and the port pilot would hop off and unto the ship. Craziest thing to watch.

Reactions: Muttley and kired

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
Question: anyone know whether a similar arrangement (local pilot steerage) is used for container ships arriving at ports in Mobile, Gulfport, New Orleans? Curious.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016

That bridge isn't really that old. It was completed in 1977.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Question: anyone know whether a similar arrangement (local pilot steerage) is used for container ships arriving at ports in Mobile, Gulfport, New Orleans? Curious.
This is how it's done at every port in the world. Only local pilots know the harbor/bay/river well enough to pilot those ships there.

Reactions: fang

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
My god, that seems like something out of a movie. Total collapse within 5 seconds, like a house of cards.
That film is speeded up. I saw where the first power outage lasted for a bit over a minute.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
This was from CNN

There were two pilots on board.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
It is used everywhere.

Realist.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012
On the MS River, local Bar Pilots move boats through the river mouth to near Pilotown. Then local River Pilots move the ship further upriver.

Reactions: Mjoelner