OT- work boots

o_tacodawg

Redshirt
Jan 2, 2020
957
47
28
Been in the shipbuilding industry going on 6 years now. I bought a new pair of Thorogood’s today since they’ve always been my go to- my absolute favorite boot in terms of comfort and longevity- the price is steep though.

Curious to know what working folks on here might have as their favorite steel toe/work boot?

My last pair lasted me a little over a year (granted I’m a shipfitter and put a hurtin on a pair of boots.)
 

Muttley

Senior
Aug 22, 2012
1,522
993
113
When I was in the oil field I wore red wings, but that was 35 years ago. I'm sure there are better boots out there now.
 

tired

All-Conference
Sep 16, 2013
3,724
1,497
113
Timberland Pro Excave are some of the most comfortable I've ever worn. Pretty durable & look good too, if that matters
 

karlchilders.sixpack

All-Conference
Jun 5, 2008
21,084
4,856
113
Not really qualified to speak to your question, but

I have pair of Red Wing Wellington's (steel toe)

That are solid

They can stand on their own.
 

NWADog

Junior
Aug 16, 2014
757
228
43
I’d look at Danner boots. I have a few pair for hiking purposes. Pretty well known for comfort and durability. They have several lines of steel toes.
 

anon1781797764

Redshirt
Oct 29, 2012
153
3
18
Had a pair of Justin USA 4794 non-steel toe for 10 years+ light work and casual wear that were great. Wolverine Durashocks are really good too but inside heels tend to break down after a couple years, at least on the pair I had years ago.
 

Dawg1979

Redshirt
Jun 23, 2015
1,546
0
0
23+ steel toe worker/wearer


Lace Up - Twisted X. their pull ons are good too

Pull On - Red Wing. no one close on steel toe comfort and longevity
 

xxxWalkTheDawg

Redshirt
Oct 21, 2005
4,262
0
25
Been in the shipbuilding industry going on 6 years now. I bought a new pair of Thorogood’s today since they’ve always been my go to- my absolute favorite boot in terms of comfort and longevity- the price is steep though.

Curious to know what working folks on here might have as their favorite steel toe/work boot?

My last pair lasted me a little over a year (granted I’m a shipfitter and put a hurtin on a pair of boots.)

the price may be steep... but buy what’s comfortable. Don’t go cheap. Your knees, back, and ankles will thank you later in life.
 

Jeffreauxdawg

All-American
Dec 15, 2017
8,891
8,003
113
23+ steel toe worker/wearer


Lace Up - Twisted X. their pull ons are good too

Pull On - Red Wing. no one close on steel toe comfort and longevity

I need safety toe for job site osha requirements, but work more in a meeting and office environment. Twisted X makes great business casual safety options. Love mine.

For Taco... If you work low at times and have to take a knee, I recommend Keen. I was on a job site yesterday with 6 guys and everyone was wearing Chippewa, Danner, or Red Wing. Except one dude. He was wearing Keen's with that rubber covering over the toe. Everyone else had toes chewed up to hell except for this guy. I'm sure they don't last forever, but the toe cap definitely extends the life.

If you are around welding in the shipyard I am not sure if the rubber toe cap works or not. But in construction, the toes are what goes first. It also clicked with me that my cold weather boots from Lacrosse have a toe cap and are 7-8 years old and look brand new. I only wear them 15-20 times a year (including this week), but they should look a lot worse. Those rubber toe caps help big-time if you are destroying the toes.

What everyone else's boots looked like yesterday:

View attachment 19443

What mine and the guy in the Keen's look like:

View attachment 19444

View attachment 19445

The rubber toe cap thing never hit my radar until yesterday. I just assumed it was the steel rubbing against leather, but it's actually the leather get sandwiched between steel and concrete. Or just concrete. Probably super obvious to everyone else though.
 
Last edited:

o_tacodawg

Redshirt
Jan 2, 2020
957
47
28
I’ve been a shipfitter for the duration of my career. Lot of hot work, burning, welding, weld washing.

I lucked up and got a work leaderman job here recently so I’m off my tools now. Just a ton of walking and climbing for me.
 
Sep 21, 2017
973
758
93
Another vote for Red Wing. Thorogoods are going to be hard to beat for the money. I work with a lot of boiler makers and you can always pick out the green horns because they are not wearing them. If you are looking to change things up go to an actual Red Wing store and get fitted they run about half to a whole size larger than normal boots. They will have a whole wall of different work boots. If you want longevity pick a pair that can be resoled.

Now if you want to go on the uber high end look at Nicks boots.
 

PapaDawg

Senior
Nov 19, 2014
821
762
93
Been in the oilfield for 41 years and, IMO, Redwings are the gold standard. Shipbuilding would seem to be a lot like the oilfield work minus the chemical exsposure to footwear some oilfield positions encounter. Wolverine Durashocks are easier to break in and more comfortable, but the leather does not withstand the chemicals as well.
 

dawgstudent

Heisman
Apr 15, 2003
40,514
22,223
113
I have a pair of Georgia work boots that are 22 years old. Still look good and fit well.
 

GloryDawg

Heisman
Mar 3, 2005
20,644
19,364
113
Red Wing makes good boots or at lest they use to but I have been sitting behind desk for 26 years since the last time I needed them for work.
 
Last edited:

Crazy Cotton

All-Conference
Aug 26, 2012
3,918
1,736
113
Chippewa still makes some of their models in the USA. I used to wear the redwing moccasin toe but I can't find them anymore and switched to the Chippewa soft toe. I like boots without a lug sole because they're so much easier to clean, and once's a lug is full of mud it isn't helping.
 

aspendawg

Junior
Sep 10, 2009
432
230
43
Danner and Redwings are what I used to wear in Permian. On the North slope of Alaska a lot of people wore Xtratuff insulated steel toes but you're talking about -30 and 40 degrees...I've got a pair that aren't insulated and they're better than any waterproof boot I've ever worn and the choice of all Bering Sea fishermen..
 

Pars

All-Conference
Oct 11, 2015
1,707
2,521
113
Been wearing Danner for a few years. Hold up really well. Usually have a sale about now
 

Motodawg

Senior
Apr 19, 2018
607
578
93
I swore by Ariat for years but then I found Merrill Moab 2 work with composite toe and I’ll never buy anything else. They actually just switched them to another name that comes in a lot better looking patterns than the Moab 2 so I’ll look fly in my next pair. Light and tough and waterproof. They can’t be beat.
 

Uncle Ruckus

All-American
Apr 1, 2011
15,309
6,700
113
I've owned many different brands, but Ariat is the only one I buy now. When I was in the oil-field it was Ariat. My everyday books are Ariat. My dress boots. My work on the property boots. For the price, I don't think they can be beat.
 

Uncle Ruckus

All-American
Apr 1, 2011
15,309
6,700
113
I recommended Ariat below for slip-on. But if laces are an option, then Merrill is 100% the way to go. I got a pair super cheap a few years back and use them for hiking.
 

dawgman42

All-American
Jul 24, 2007
6,303
6,450
113
I have Carhartt composite-toed boots that I wear several times a year for small stretches, and they are great. They hold up well, have good cushioning, and the slip-proof bottoms have saved me a few times in refineries and petrochemical facilities.
 

o_tacodawg

Redshirt
Jan 2, 2020
957
47
28
I have Carhartt composite-toed boots that I wear several times a year for small stretches, and they are great. They hold up well, have good cushioning, and the slip-proof bottoms have saved me a few times in refineries and petrochemical facilities.

Ingalls doesn’t allow composite toe- Idknt ask me why.
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State Week 5 Preview: Who Carries the Load?
  2. 02 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State Week 5 Preview: Alabama Q&A
  3. 03 Maroon and White Mississippi State’s Isaac Smith and Fluff Bothwell “Probable” on initial SEC availability report
  4. 04 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State Week 5 Preview: Who Controls the Skies?
  5. 05 Maroon and White Football "Complementary team football is what they're doing really well": Alabama HC Kalen DeBoer on Mississippi State matchup