Paps looking for a raise

1msudawg

Aug 26, 2006
Looks like he wants to be the highest paid closer. Good for him.

"I feel a certain obligation not only to myself and my family to make the money that I deserve but for the game of baseball." Papelbon said. "Mariano Rivera has been doing it for the past 10 years and with me coming up behind him I feel a certain obligation to do the same."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3277121</p>

Seshomoru

Apr 24, 2006
The Sox paid a whopping $1.4 million or so combined for Paps, Pedroia, and Youkalis last year.

That's the MLB equivalent of cheap Mexican labor.

jakldawg

May 1, 2006
Last year, Papelbon was paid $425,500.
After some key purchases of kilts and lacy shirts, that doesn't leave a whole lot left over for the swear jar.

TBonewannabe

Mar 3, 2008
BoSox need to give Paps a raise. He is hands down the best closer in baseball. He needs to be payed at least close to this. He was a Huge part of winning the World Series. If they don't pay him someone like Steinbrenner will.

diehard4dawgs

May 23, 2006
I am glad he "feels the obligation to make the money that he deserves" I just hope he feels the obligation to give back to MSU so we can start buying some baseball players that can help us beat North Florida, Air Force, and Northwestern Arkansas State Technical Culinary Institute.

thedog

Mar 3, 2008
The writing is on the wall. Paps gone next year to a team that will pay him.

GOPdog

Jun 24, 2007
********. He's become a demi-god in Boston. Next year when he is eligible for arbitration he will get his money, but the first 3 years of a players major league service are the only times that the clubs have ANY leverage, so they are entitled to use it. They didn't have to give him a raise at all, but they would've gotten nailed next year in arbitration (if it gets to that point). The union and owners agreed on this in the CBA so it's not like this is new. He'll get his money next year, and I'll guarantee its from Boston.

ScoobaDawg

Jun 4, 2007
Exactly, the BoSox have him for this year no matter what, and the next 2 years are arbitration years in which they while have the first chance to lock him up. Boston also doesn't traditionally let the players reach arbitration and will settle things before the deadline.
The sox did not have to give him anything but the league minimum this season ($390,000). But as GOP said, they doing the right thing. Paps requested closer to 900k, similar to what Ryan Howard serviced with same service time. But received 775k, which was more than Mo Rivera (750k in 98) received for 2+ years of service time.

edit - league minimum was lowered this season.

J

JimHalpert.nafoom

I know they tried to make him a starter last year and he didn't want to, but if he ever wants to make the big bucks he'll need to become a starter.It would be interesting to see if he'd be able to maintain his fastball and intensity over 5 innings or so.

SoxFan343

Feb 25, 2008
He isn't eligible to be a free agent until he spends six years in the majors. He'll be in Boston until 2011 unless they trade him or waive him. Baseball isn't the NFL or NBA.

saddawg

Jun 25, 2006
screwed up is the world when Tommy Kelly gets $50 Mil and one of the best at his position and a championship hero gets less than a Mil. Gene Klein, former owner of the Chargers, said in his book that outside Hunt, the Rooneys and the Maras, pro football owners are the dumbest sumbitches he has ever seen.