Penn State - Edinboro dual thread

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
174: #1 Carter Starocci vs. Joey Arnold (JA)

Per 1
A quick TD by CStar and a cut, 3-1. Another TD by CStar and they go OOB, 6-1. CStar cuts him, 6-2. CStar quickly behind for a TD and cuts him, 9-3. CStar shoots a double for the TD, 12-3, and then cuts him, 12-4. CStar with another double for a TD, 15-4 as they go OOB. CStar cuts him on the restart, 15-5. CStar with a throw-by and gets the TD, 18-5. CStar seems to want to tilt him now, but they go OOB with 51 sec left. He works a double grapevine and tilts him, then JA rolls a bit, and stoppage for PD, as CStar's knee was in some danger. You could hear a pin drop in Rec Hall, as they check on CStar's right knee. It's a 22-5, TF, @ 2:45

39-0, PSU

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
Hoping it is just a sprain for Carter. Can he still qualify for Nationals if he was to skip the Big Ten championships?
Must wrestle in Big tens to qualify for Nationals. Yes let’s say our prayers he’ll be alright. He could forfeit out of big ten’s as well. Let’s hope it’s minor. I’m sure he’ll have an MRI.

Last edited:
Reactions: GulfCoastLion

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
184: #6 Bernie Truax vs. Brody Evans (BE)

Per 1
Truax in on a low shot for a TD, 3-0. Truax with a nice ride from the right side. BE is out, 3-1. Stall warning on BE. Truax in on the legs but they go OOB as a stall call on BE makes it 4-1. Truax in on a single and gets the TD, 7-1. He works a 2-on-1 and gets swipes before BE rolls thru -- 4 NF, makes it 11-1. End.

Per 2
BE takes bottom. Olympic freestyle start for Truax and he cuts him, 11-2. Stoppage for interlocking fingers. Truax sort of shoots and nearly in, but BE fights it off. Truax circles around and gets the TD, 14-2. Truax cuts him, 14-3. Truax with a double leg for the TD, 17-3. Truax working a 1-on-1 and gets a tilt, and the buzzer sounds. 4 NF makes it a 21-3, TF, @ 5:00

44-0, PSU

SRATH

Oct 30, 2021
When I moved to Boro in 2019, they had already started to fall off. They had guys who looked the part, but lacked the speed. Mostly PA kids. Now they have

Their coach is a good guy, but I think everyone else is a volunteer. Bruce B was the AD, but I think he retired.

The campus is a ghost town.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
197: #1 Aaron Brooks vs. Jack Kilner (JK)

JK is the best wrestler on Edinboro's team, so this may be a little more interesting

Per 1
AB in on a leg and gets the TD, 3-0. JK up and out, 3-1. AB in on a double and gets the TD, 6-1. JK with the esc, 6-2. AB in on the legs for a TD, 9-2. AB working from the left side. End. RT @ 1:40 for AB

Per 2
AB takes bottom. Caution on JK. AB to his feet, and JK cuts him, 10-2. AB in on the legs and gets another TD, 13-2. AB cuts him, 13-3. AB in on a double and gets the TD, 16-3, and he cuts him, 16-4. AB in on a single and gets the TD, for a 19-4 TF @ 3:55.

49-0, PSU

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
I think PSU can tie their biggest margin of victory in a dual if Kerk gets the pin.

285: #1 Greg Kerkvliet vs. Nick Lodato (NL)

242.2 vs. 214.8

Per 1
Kerk in on a single and gets the TD, 3-0. NL works up and out for the esc, 3-1. Kerk in on a shot and takes NL to his back, so it's 10-1. Kerk locks a cradle and gets the pin @ 1:27!!!!

55-0, PSU

It matches the biggest dual meet victory (previously 55-0 against Buffalo in 2018)

NoSoup4U

Oct 14, 2021
Replay did not look good for Carter. Minimum is a knee sprain, but may be much worse.
Well didn't look as bad as when Nolf's injury happened (you saw his knee pop) didn't see that happen here

So hoping of the best

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Byers interviews Truax

Q: talk about wrestling this season
- nothing like Rec Hall. This is amazing

Q: is it difficult to keep your focus after seeing Starocci
- it is difficult seeing your teammate go down, but I had to remember to do my job. I patted him on his back as he went by

Q: I thought you might get the pin
- 5 more seconds and I would have had it

Q: talk about the experience in the room
- it's been better than I expected. Being surrounded by the coaches, the teammates, the club. Once you get in there, there is so much to learn. It's going to change my life forever. Learning to grow as a man. It's been amazing to be here -- I'm forever blessed to have been here

Q: Guys from different backgrounds join each year
- we don't all conform into one individual. We go and do our thing. Being part of this program is great. The coaches tell us to be ourself, and makes you able to be true to yourself

Q: How do you feel heading to the postseason
- we're all right where we need to be. We're not nervous, which is the right place to me

Q: Any tweaks you're trying to make heading to the postseason
- feeling good, there are always tweaks as you try to get better

Q: was it difficult to soak in the day, as you've only been here 1 year
- I probably stopped 3 - 5 times to savor the experience. This is my last college dual. I got to see my family, my girlfriend. We're so blessed to go do what we do, and have fun doing it