Penn State - Maryland Dual Thread

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
No need for Starocci to Tweet what he did IMO.

Agreed! I also don't think that the U Md coach should have bitched to Cael and Casey about Carter going for the pin, but part of me (the former D1wrestler, coach, and father) wishes that Carter just would have taken the U Md wrestler down and ended the match!
I once beat a kid 39-3 (I'm old..............no TF then) in the quarterfinals of a tournament because I needed to wrestle the entire match in order to help lose weight for the next day's weigh in and also because his coach "jokingly" said to me ................" You better be ready for Johnny tonight!" In hindsight, I should have worked for the fall and lost the weight on my time, not at the expense of a "lesser/more inexperienced" wrestler.

I think CStar is getting a bit of unwarranted grief here.

First, look at his tweets throughout his college career. They are edgy, and never show him backing down from pretty much anything. It's who he is.

Second, the MD coach started his whining with CS, then continued it with Coach Cunningham. I believe CStar was the next person in line (it was during the handshakes after the dual), and he heard the entire exchange, which was basically a complaint against CStar's actions in the dual.

There were multiple instances in the dual where PSU wrestlers would work for extra team points. They would cut MD guys in the 3rd period to get another TD for a major. Davis would get 4 NF, then release that hold, go back to the same hold, and get 4 more NF until he got the TF. Etc.

Was CStar likely to lose to Mason Stein? Almost no chance. Did it matter if PSU got 5 team points or 6 points from him in the dual? Pretty much not. Do we want PSU wrestlers going for bonus points? Absolutely, every chance they can (we've won NCAAs on the basis of our bonus points).

Would I have tweeted out what CStar did? No, but I'm pretty mellow, and don't look to create problems. That said, MD's Alex Clemsen was as much in the wrong with his complaint (after his team got blown out) that "no, you don't have to pin ..." Every wrestler tries to win, and if they can win by a pin so much the better. I'm sure Coach Clemsen would have been celebrating if any of his guys had pinned a PSU wrestler.

Could CStar have TFed Stein? Absolutely. In fact, he avoided a TD because he elected to go for a pin. I have no problem with that decision.

And if CStar wants to defend his coach (head or assistant) who gets grief for CStar's decisions on the mat, I think that's well within the bounds of competition.

Latest posts