Penn State - Maryland Dual Thread

JDLion

Oct 30, 2021
I can see your point, but purposely embarrassing an opponent is never a good look, especially for a 3 time National Champ.
There is alot wrong with this statement. If your a D1 wrestler and you quit the way he did then he embarrassed himself already. Nothing that Carter did purposely embarrassed the kid. He had done that to himself. And for the coach you make it more embarrassing by making something out of it. It's on the MD coach to either recruit better or coach better. That's not on the PSU staff or wrestlers.

SJLuvsLions

Oct 10, 2021
Wrestle the match or forfeit. The MD wrestler quit. Cater wanted the pin. The MD coach thinks he's defending his wrestler. I see both sides. Much to do about nothing.
Sorta related, but when I was coaching football some of our games got way out of hand really early...I mean like midway through the 2nd Quarter.

To start the 2nd Half we would let the starters have one series and then send in the 2nd Teamers and eventually the 3rd String. At times THEY continued to rack up the points. And at that point sometimes we would start hearing the BS from the opposing coach about "running up the score" and embarrassing his kids.

We knew that we did everything we could do to hold the score down, so our response was usually a fairly polite, "Hey Coach, do a better job of coaching and the score wouldn't be that bad. Maybe YOU should work a little harder. We're never going to tell our kids to just lay down."

Starocci was under no obligation to NOT go for a pin to enhance his standing in National Rankings. Just because that kid gave up, which he obviously did, Carter didn't have to give up on the match too. What's one of CJF's Core Principles? "Compete in everything you do."

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
There is alot wrong with this statement. If your a D1 wrestler and you quit the way he did then he embarrassed himself already. Nothing that Carter did purposely embarrassed the kid. He had done that to himself. And for the coach you make it more embarrassing by making something out of it. It's on the MD coach to either recruit better or coach better. That's not on the PSU staff or wrestlers.
I agree with you from the MD coach perspective. Why draw more attention to it? You just embarrassed your guy as much as Carter did.

Karl_Havok

Oct 6, 2021
Sorta related, but when I was coaching football some of our games got way out of hand really early...I mean like midway through the 2nd Quarter.

To start the 2nd Half we would let the starters have one series and then send in the 2nd Teamers and eventually the 3rd String. At times THEY continued to rack up the points. And at that point sometimes we would start hearing the BS from the opposing coach about "running up the score" and embarrassing his kids.

We knew that we did everything we could do to hold the score down, so our response was usually a fairly polite, "Hey Coach, do a better job of coaching and the score wouldn't be that bad. Maybe YOU should work a little harder. We're never going to tell our kids to just lay down."

Starocci was under no obligation to NOT go for a pin to enhance his standing in National Rankings. Just because that kid gave up, which he obviously did, Carter didn't have to give up on the match too. What's one of CJF's Core Principles? "Compete in everything you do."

When I was in high school we beat Connellsville 18-0 in soccer. I was a sophomore. We were up like 10-0 at the half. Coach started the JV squad in the second half (which I was a part of as a sophomore). I had a hat trick. We had to pass the ball like six times before we were allowed to take a shot. There is only so much you can do as a coach.

SJLuvsLions

Oct 10, 2021
When I was in high school we beat Connellsville 18-0 in soccer. I was a sophomore. We were up like 10-0 at the half. Coach started the JV squad in the second half (which I was a part of as a sophomore). I had a hat trick. We had to pass the ball like six times before we were allowed to take a shot. There is only so much you can do as a coach.
Yeah I coached against guys who really expected us to basically kneel down 3 times and then punt once the score hit 50. I agree with what your coach did, but even that is humiliating to the opponent because your team obviously didn't even compete full tilt and still stomped them.

The Maryland kid who wrestled vs Carter absolutely gave up and almost laid down on his back and forced Carter lift his shoulders OFF the mat. It was embarrassing.

NoSoup4U

Oct 14, 2021
I can see your point, but purposely embarrassing an opponent is never a good look, especially for a 3 time National Champ.
Well the problem lies at the start of the 3rd it was 18-6 right?? If the MD wrestler was laying down, so to speak, why did he choose down to start? a take down is the tech fall ---so by choosing down now carter has to release [18-7] and a tech fall isnt reached with take down [21-7]- unless with another release [21-8] and takedown [24-8]

I think Carter just switched gears and said well I gotta turn for 3 or 4 or get a pin now

psykim

Oct 7, 2021
Man is this team good. Aaron Brooks wrestled a very good wrestler-Maryland's best-and sure controlled the match Some of the other PSU wrestlers outc;lassed their opponent. Mesenbrink sure is fun to watch. And glad Haines had a dominant victory. Now, on to some tough matches-Ohio State and Iowa are never easy.

SleepyLion

Sep 1, 2022
Congratulations on your accomplishments. 😉

Dec 23, 2021
CStar is so insensitive. He needs to take some Emotional Intelligence courses so he can recognize when he is damaging his opponent's psyche. He should have allowed the other guy to take him down, this way his opponent could walk off the mat with his head held high and boast how he took down the #1 ranked and 3x reigning NCAA champion. It would fill him with confidence, he would go on tear the rest of the season, placing in the top 4 at Big Ten's. It would continue on through the NCAA championships and he would make it to the finals to be matched against CStar. Gushing with confidence in how he "earned" that 1 take down in the meet, he stuns the crowd and denies CStar from being a 4x. He then becomes a multiple NCAA champ and even goes on to win an Olympic Gold.
CStar meantime retires from the sport knowing that he did the "greater good" by unleashing the champion within the Maryland wrestler. Everyone lives happily ever after.

SleepyLion

Sep 1, 2022
CStar is so insensitive. He needs to take some Emotional Intelligence courses so he can recognize when he is damaging his opponent's psyche. He should have allowed the other guy to take him down, this way his opponent could walk off the mat with his head held high and boast how he took down the #1 ranked and 3x reigning NCAA champion. It would fill him with confidence, he would go on tear the rest of the season, placing in the top 4 at Big Ten's. It would continue on through the NCAA championships and he would make it to the finals to be matched against CStar. Gushing with confidence in how he "earned" that 1 take down in the meet, he stuns the crowd and denies CStar from being a 4x. He then becomes a multiple NCAA champ and even goes on to win an Olympic Gold.
CStar meantime retires from the sport knowing that he did the "greater good" by unleashing the champion within the Maryland wrestler. Everyone lives happily ever after.
Would have been Perfect but forgot the participation trophy.

SRATH

Oct 30, 2021
Well the problem lies at the start of the 3rd it was 18-6 right?? If the MD wrestler was laying down, so to speak, why did he choose down to start? a take down is the tech fall ---so by choosing down now carter has to release [18-7] and a tech fall isnt reached with take down [21-7]- unless with another release [21-8] and takedown [24-8]

I think Carter just switched gears and said well I gotta turn for 3 or 4 or get a pin now
The ref's were helping the MD kid by not calling stalling ( Not blaming the refs, the kid was getting pummeled ). The last part of the 2nd he wasn't doing anything other than trying to get out of the period.

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
The ref's were helping the MD kid by not calling stalling ( Not blaming the refs, the kid was getting pummeled ). The last part of the 2nd he wasn't doing anything other than trying to get out of the period.
Shades of Andrew Alton vs Grajales, but not quite as bad.

Reactions: SRATH

JBott

Nov 1, 2021
No need for Starocci to Tweet what he did IMO.
Agreed! I also don't think that the U Md coach should have bitched to Cael and Casey about Carter going for the pin, but part of me (the former D1wrestler, coach, and father) wishes that Carter just would have taken the U Md wrestler down and ended the match!
I once beat a kid 39-3 (I'm old..............no TF then) in the quarterfinals of a tournament because I needed to wrestle the entire match in order to help lose weight for the next day's weigh in and also because his coach "jokingly" said to me ................" You better be ready for Johnny tonight!" In hindsight, I should have worked for the fall and lost the weight on my time, not at the expense of a "lesser/more inexperienced" wrestler.

Reactions: WV lion

Karl_Havok

Oct 6, 2021
Congratulations on your accomplishments. 😉

Well at the time I was the first sophomore to ever score three goals in a varsity game. That was one more goal than I scored playing varsity the next two years which brought my career total to five. 😐

• Haha
Reactions: LB99

Latest posts