Penn State - Maryland Dual Thread

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
184: #5 Bernie Truax vs. Chase Mielnik (CM)

Mielnik's father, Pete, was a PSU wrestler

Per 1
Truax in on a quick single, 3-0. He throws in a leg and tilts him with a cradle, and gets 4 NF, 7-0. CM gets to his belly, and Turax works a wrist combo to get tiles and 4 more NF, 11-0. Truax tilts him again but doesn't get swipes. Truax looks for a cradle, then switches to an arm bar and has him tilts,d and gets the pin @ 1:43

32-6, PSU

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
197: #1 Aaron Brooks vs. #5 Jaxon Smith (JS)

This should be fun, and AB gets to wrestle in his home state

Per 1
They go OOB with 2:12 left. Brooks gets a low single, he elevates it, and gets the TD, and they go OOB and crash into the table (right by Byers), 3-0, with 1:52 left. JS to his feet, and he's out, 3-1. Stall warning on SM. OOB with 1:12 left. PD stoppage with 1:07 left. AB working an underhook tries to spin and get the tD but they go OOB with 43 sec left. AB in on a low single, he elevates it, SM does a split and the buzzer sounds. RT @ 5 sec for AB

Per 2
JM defers, so AB takes bottom. He works up and is out in 8 sec, 4-1. 1 min left. AB in on a head outside single, he elevates, has JS dancing along the edge, reaches across for the hip and gets the TD as they are OOB with 34 sec left, 7-1. SM to his feet and AB cuts him, 7-2. End. RT is 0:03 for AB

Per 3
JS takes bottom. JS to his feet and AB cuts him 7-3. 1 min left. JS in on a single, then AB with heavy hips and gets behind for the D< 10-3. AB cuts him 10-4. AB gets in on a single, and gets behind with 15 sec left, 13-4. En.d It's a 13-4 MAJ for AB (first match all year that didn't end in a Pin or a TF)

36-6, PSU

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
285: #1 Kerk vs. Jordan Gabriel (JG)

248.8 vs. 240

Per 1
Kerk in on a head outside single, to a double, takes him to his back and gets swipes and 2 NF, 5-0. Then Kerk with a half nelson and gets the pin @ 0:55

42-6, PSU

Wrestler2u

Oct 8, 2021
As the teams started shaking hands Maryland coach Clemson did not look happy and said something to Cael and other coaches. Cael looked a little quizzical. Any idea what was said. My guess it had to do with the margin of dominance.

Reactions: Stneumann83

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Byers interviews CStar:

Q: how are you feeling this week
A - that was tough for me to miss last week. With or without me, this team is going to win. Now, I'm feeling a lot better, so we're back at it

Q: talks about Mesenbrink
A - you can tell that he loves wrestling. I was sitting behind Coach Casey on the bus down, and they were talking non-stop

Q: Talk about your match today
A - I think getting a pin is like getting a KO in a fight. A lot of guys on bottom just lay there, so it feels good

Q: From a team perspective, how is this team
A - a credit to the coaches. Their track record just year after year. We just keep getting better as a team. We're loose, and don't take ourselves too seriously. I think we can have a historic year

Q: The 8 starters got bonus today. Talk about
A - yeah, sometimes that goes thru my head. I just keep trying to get better, though there is some competition. Even thru the weight cuts, I love this

Q: With this dual meet finished, we turn to the final month. What is your focus
A - for me, work on everything. The coaches want me out of the room sometimes. It depends on the opponent. For me, I'll live in the room. It's being smart at practice. It's being smart all the time, and staying healthy

Got GSPs

Oct 7, 2021
I'm also curious about the beef that the MD coach had. Cael seemed to just blow it off but Casey Cunningham engaged a little. Maybe Penn State was supposed to rest one of their studs?

Reactions: Lion in KY

SJLuvsLions

Oct 10, 2021
As the teams started shaking hands Maryland coach Clemson did not look happy and said something to Cael and other coaches. Cael looked a little quizzical. Any idea what was said. My guess it had to do with the margin of dominance.
I'm betting he was pissed that Starocci toyed with his opponent and didn't let the match end. Carter kinda did humiliate the kid. I saw what you saw too.

gpsu88

Sep 1, 2022
A pin for you and you and you. CS had to be frustrating to face, nah I’m not taking the tech I’m going to pin you and there’s nothing you can do about that

JBott

Nov 1, 2021
I'm betting he was pissed that Starocci toyed with his opponent and didn't let the match end. Carter kinda did humiliate the kid. I saw what you saw too.
Agree! It was unnecessary on Carter’s part! Just end the match.

SRATH

Oct 30, 2021
I disagree. Getting the pin is the ultimate goal for a match, and I’ll never criticize a wrestler for trying to get a pin.
Carter is still trying to get used to the 3 pt TD. He is racking up points much faster this year and it throws off his timing

Reactions: Got GSPs

JBott

Nov 1, 2021
I disagree. Getting the pin is the ultimate goal for a match, and I’ll never criticize a wrestler for trying to get a pin.
I can see your point, but purposely embarrassing an opponent is never a good look, especially for a 3 time National Champ.

Reactions: SJLuvsLions