Penn State - Michigan State dual thread

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
157: Levi Haines vs. Chase Saldate (CS)

Per 1
Saldate tries a throw-by, nothing. Haines in on a single, CS counters and locks a cradle and gets a TD, 0-3. Haines to his feet and he's out, 1-3. End

Per 2
Haines takes bottom. Haines slowly to his feet, then returned, then he's out, 2-3. Lots of battling but no real shots. End. RT @ 30 sec for CS

Per 3
CS takes bottom. He does a quick roll, 2-4. CS in on a single, they scramble, and Haines with a great counter TD, 5-4. Stoppage for blood time for CS. CS to his feet on the restart, and he's out, 5-5. Under a minute left. RT not a factor. End.

SV
Haines sort of shoots, and CS kind of counters, nothing. CS tries an inside trip, and a stall warning to Haines as they go OOB. Haines tries a shot, nothing. Haines in on a single, to a double, they scramble, and a stalemate with 9 sec left. End

TB - 1
Haines with choice, and he takes bottom. Haines he rolls and nearly gets caught. Haines works up, CS hangs onto a leg, and a stall call on CS. Rideout

TB - 1
CS takes bottom. He's to his feet, and returned. He's back to his feet again, Haines with a body lock, and a locked hands call on Haines. Challenge thrown by PSU, so we're going to video review. Call is waved off.

SV-2
Haines in on a single, CS tries to get a body lock, and they go OOB, with 31 sec left. End

TB-2
CS takes bottom. Caution on Haines. CS seems to jump, and works for a reversal, they scramble, stall call on Haines, 5-6

TB-2
Haines takes bottom. Haines to his feet, returned, up again, returned, up again, and OOB with 7.4 sec. Haines up and gets a rev with 1 sec left.

Wow!!

7-6 DEC for Haines

17-0, PSU

MSU throws a challenge. Call is confirmed

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
Wow ! We gotta see that reversal on video ! Levi gotta start relaxing and let it fly. As Byers said he’s wrestling too tight !

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
165: #9 Mitchell Mesenbrink vs. #10 Caleb Fish (CF)

The best matchup, on paper, in the dual

Per 1
Mesenbrink with a single for a TD, 3-0. He's working an arm bar. He cuts him on a restart, 3-1. CF throws Mesenbrink to his back and is awarded 2 NF. PSU throws the challenge brick. Call stands, so it's 3-6. Mesenbrink up and out on the restart, 4-6. Mesenbrink in on a double and gets the TD, 7-6. End.

Per 2
Mesenbrink takes bottom. He's to his feet and out, 8-6. Mesenbrink tries to get in on the legs, and a stalemate with 1:02 left. Mesenbrink shoots, CF sprawls. Mesenbrink shoots again and a stall warning on CF. Mesenbrink shoots again, a bit of a scramble. Then an arm drag to a double for a TD by Mesenbrink, 11-6. End. RT @ 1:05 for Mesenbrink.

Per 3
CF takes bottom. He nearly throws Mesenbrink, and then gets the esc, 11-7. Mesenbrink snaps the head down, gets behind, CF counters, then Mesenbrink scrambles, and Mesenbrink gets the TD, 14-7. CF out, 17-8. Mesenbrink gets a TD with 6 sec left, 17-8. With 1:47 in RT, it's a 18-8 MAJ for Mesenbrink.

21-0, PSU

Last edited:

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
174: Bear Claw (BC) vs. DJ Shannon (DJ)

Per 1
Not much action in the period. End

Per 2
BC takes bottom. He works to his feet, turns in and is out, 1-0. DJ snaps the head down and is in on a leg, he elevates it, they scramble on the mat, and BC gets the TD, 4-0. Impressive to avoid and then to get the TD by BC. End

Per 3
DJ takes neutral. BC in on a head outside single, elevates the leg and trips DJ down for the TD, 7-0. BC working on a tilt, but can't turn him. BC throws in a boot, and nearly turns DJ. RT is locked. Stall warning on BC, so a stoppage with 11.3 sec left. Shoulder roll by DJ and he gets the esc, 7-1. With the RT, it's a 8-1 DEC for BC. Giving up the late esc cost BC a MAJ

24-0, PSU

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
184: Bernie Truax vs. Layne Malczewski (LM)

Per 1
Needed to make a quick pit stop so I missed the beginning. Truax in on a leg and gets the TD, 3-0. LM tries to throw Truax by and gets the esc, 3-1. End.

Per 2
Truax defers, so LM takes bottom. LM quickly to his feet, and Truax cuts him, 3-2. Truax in on a single but the buzzer sounds. End. RT @ 10 sec for Truax

Per 3
Truax takes bottom. Truax to his feet, and he's out, 4-2. LM reaches, nothing. Both guys on 1 knee for a bit (boring). Lots of battling, but nobody is shooting. The crowd is not happy. LM shoots, Truax sprawls, nothing. End. 4-2 DEC for Truax

27-0, PSU

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
197: #1 Aaron Brooks (AB) vs. #29 Kael Wisler (KW)

Per 1
AB in on a single, and gets behind for the TD, 3-0. KW with the esc, 3-1. AB with another single for a TD, 6-1, and he cuts KW, 6-2. AB with a bit of a pick for the TD, 9-2, and he cuts KW, 9-3. AB gets behind for another TD, and cuts KW, 12-4. AB with another TD, 15-4. He doesn't cut him this time, and is working on top. Then he does cut him, 15-5. AB shoots, gets behind, and gets the TD, 18-5. End. RT @ 55 sec for AB

Per 2
KW takes bottom. AB flattens him. Eventually, KW gets the esc, 18-6. Brooks with a TD, and it's a 21-6 TF, @ 4:00

32-0, PSU

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
285: Lucas Cochran (LC) vs. Josh Terrill (JT)

198.7 vs. ?? (I think it was @ 245)

Per 1
LC in on a front headlock, drives in and switches to a double, but nothing. LC in on a single, and trips JT to the mat, 3-0. End.

Per 2
JT takes bottom. He nearly gets LC over him, but LC adjusts. OOB with 53 sec left. LC with a nice ride. End. RT @ 2:42 for LC

Per 3
LC takes bottom. LC to his feet, and he's out, 4-0. OOB with 37 sec left. RT is locked for LC. LC in on a single, switches to a double, but the buzzer sounds. With 2:31 in RT, it's a 5-0 DEC for Cochran.

35-0, PSU

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021
Time to get healthy. Like I mentioned before, I am sure there is some kind of bug going around the room. I am sure kids are wrestling less than 100%. And more may miss matches. Good news it is January.

Reactions: Tryingtodoitright

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Bear Claw interview by Byers

Q: Talk about wrestling up a weight class. The challenge of it, does it change your mentality
- the game plan is still the same, try to score points. Carter had some issues this week, so I'm the guy, and it was super fun to go out there

Q: You get out there against Shane Griffith. Take me thru that match
- we had a game plan to go. In my mind, I'm nervous, but that's a good thing. I knew I was ready to go, and one of the best guys in the country. It was so fun, I got to prove everybody wrong.

Q: How fun is it being a part of this team. Start with Braeden Davis
- he is a beast. You see how strong he is. You love his mentality. He doesn't say much, but you can see it in his face when he gets out on the match. You look at that throughout our lineup -- guys that want to be killers. Coach Cael was talking to us, and our ultimate goal is to go out and score points and take it to the opponents. I think every single guy does that

Q: Talk about David Evans and Lucas Cochran. Everybody seems to want the next man up mentality
- I think this is the best team, depth wise, that we've ever had. Even the guys that aren't starting, we're ready to go. It's so exciting. We're always competing in the room. It's just a game. Make the other guy not want to wrestle you again.

Q: Couple other guys. Levi's last second reversal
- I was warming up for my match. I'm trying to time it out. I was wondering what was going on. I see period 7, then period 8. Levi is a tough dude. He's a tough son-of-a-gun. He's never going to quit

Q: What is it that makes Mitchell (Mesenbrink) so special
- you see it in the way he wrestles, in that he's so enthusiastic. We battle it out, but I really appreciate how he keeps wrestling. He doesn't get super serious before matches. I love learning from him. We're all trying to compete with each other. After I saw him win I was like, "let's do this."

Q: Talk about your match
- I knew the guy was going to be bigger than me. I'm going to do what I do. I felt he was pretty strong, but I'm pretty strong too. I put the pace on him. I have a strong top game, and I think I've gotten strong on my feet this year.

Last edited:

Latest posts