Aaron Brooks (#1) vs. Silas Alred (#13)

Period 1

Aaron with two takedowns. Up 6-1.
Aaron with 1:49 of riding time.

Period 2

Brooks with his third takedown. Up 9-2.
Aaron with 3:42 riding time advantage

Period 3

Brooks with his fourth and five takedowns. 16-4.

Aaron with a 17-4 Major Decision!

Reactions: 1Maddog

cb1994

Oct 31, 2022
I know Brooks is good, but still a tough look for the #13 wrestler in the country to be non competitive and uninterested?

hohmadw1978

Oct 7, 2021
Kerk (#1) vs. Unranked Nash Hutmacher.

Period 1

Kerk weighs in 240.4 pounds. Byers mentions weight loss due to illness.
Kerk finishes a single and leads 3-0.

Period 2

Kerk takes bottom. Reverses immediately. Up 5 to 0.
Second stall on Hutmacher. Kerk up 6 to 0.
Kerk has 3:21 in riding time and riding time is assured.

Period 3

Hutmacher takes bottom. Third stall warning on Hutmacher. Kerk up 7-0.
First stall warning on Kerk.
Fourth stall warning on Hutmacher.

With the riding point, Kerk wins 10-0.

PSU wins dual meet 22-13 with their 55th straight win! Clinches Big 10 regular season title.

Last edited:

ElDuce

Oct 29, 2022
Kasak was very competitive, Traux was in it, Davis did not look good, other than that business as usual. The top guys looked good. Cater wrestled a complete match, Levi was in control, Beau was on offense early, Brooks and Kerk were dominant.

hohmadw1978

Oct 7, 2021
Quick thoughts on the meet:

125-Good learning experience for Braden Davis versus a 23-year-old. Still has potential to AA at Nationals. 125 appears to be the most open weight class.

133-Baylor Shunk with a good effort not to give up a major decision.

149-Kasak with a great effort against the #1 wrestler in the country.

184-Bernie needs to finish his takedowns. Good call in my view on the attempted last-minute takedown in the third period.

Rest of the matches went pretty much to schedule.

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
Bernie Truax (#6) with tough match versus #3 Lenny Pinto.

Period 1

Pinto with a quick blast for a takedown. 3-0.

Bernie escapes. 3-1.
Bernie with a sweep but loses it. No takedown.

Pinto with a good quick takedown. Bernie escapes. Down 6-2.
Bernie runs out of time to get a single takedown at the end of the period.

Period 2

Bernie takes bottom and escapes quickly. Down 6-3.
Bernie gets Pinto to his shoulder but cannot maintain it.

Period 3

Pinto takes bottom. Truax pushes him away and lets him escape. Bernie Truax with the ankle takedown. Down 7-6.

No late takedown after review for Bernie. Loses 8-6.

PSU 14
Nebraska 13
If Bernie uses a simple trip when he had the bearhug that guy goes right to his back. No idea why he didn’t. Love to see Bernie get a lot more physical.

Reactions: tzinger

coastfan

Oct 26, 2021
Toughest match if the season overall, no doubt. NE matched up about as well as any team could but of course the overall talent the Lions bring is what wins the day. The top half of the Penn State line up is lights out.
The two young PA guys wrestling for NE (Van Dee and Pinto) are solid.

Roswelllion

Oct 7, 2021
Kerk (#1) vs. Unranked Nash Hutmacher.

Period 1

Kerk weighs in 240.4 pounds. Byers mentions weight loss due to illness.
Kerk finishes a single and leads 3-0.

Period 2

Kerk takes bottom. Reverses immediately. Up 5 to 0.
Second stall on Hutmacher. Kerk up 6 to 0.
Kerk has 3:21 in riding time and riding time is assured.

Period 3

Hutmacher takes bottom. Third stall warning on Hutmacher. Kerk up 7-0.
First stall warning on Kerk.
Fourth stall warning on Hutmacher.

With the riding point, Kerk wins 10-0.

PSU wins dual meet 22-13 with their 55th straight win! Clinches Big 10 regular season title.
That Hvwght for Neb sounds like he was/is a helluva an athlete. Byers said he started varsity wrestling in SIXTH grade. 166-0 from freshman year on. state champion sophomore in shot put and discuss Jr year. 3 year starter in football and went to Neb on a football scholly and played 3 years for Nebby football. I think he said 2nd or 3rd All B!G in football. Just returned to wrestling this January. Sounded like he just laid on the mat against Kerk but that is one heckuva High school record and collegiate football.

Reactions: hohmadw1978

watoos

Oct 31, 2021
The only disappointment for me, was at 125 because if Davis wins I think he gets the #2 seed at B1Gs and a bye, Bernie's loss shouldn't hurt him much.
I think Nagao beats Smith which means we win by 15.

Kerk said he's got 2 weeks to start eating again to move up from 240. I knew he had to be pretty sick to weigh in at 240 today.

I feel OK after this match, we will be fine, no need to fire Cael yet. 😊

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
That Hvwght for Neb sounds like he was/is a helluva an athlete. Byers said he started varsity wrestling in SIXTH grade. 166-0 from freshman year on. state champion sophomore in shot put and discuss Jr year. 3 year starter in football and went to Neb on a football scholly and played 3 years for Nebby football. I think he said 2nd or 3rd All B!G in football. Just returned to wrestling this January. Sounded like he just laid on the mat against Kerk but that is one heckuva High school record and collegiate football.
One does not simply walk into Modor after a three year hiatus from wrestling. I think if Kerk wasn’t trying to conserve energy it would have been an easy catch and release TF. With the team score and his stamina, the game plan was to keep Hut down and just grind him.

Other than Iowa, Kerk has been slowly dropping weight since he was 254.4 against Lehigh. With his frame I think he could easily handle 265 without losing anything but I think he feels best @250.

coastfan

Oct 26, 2021
Iowa's freshman heavyweight (Ben Kueter) also is on their football team.

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021
He redshirted as a true frosh. It remains to be seen if he does play significant time at this level.
You can play 4 games and still shirt. Similar to wrestling. I just don't see a pro prospect getting zero playing time. I am not saying he isn't a great athlete.

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
I’ll personally be very shocked if David and Kasak are in the lineup next season. Love all our guys but it’s just reality. Guess we’ll see. I’ll root for all.

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
Bernie must get mean and nasty real soon. He just seems too nice on the mat. Plus he definitely n to finish which goes into the mind set as well.

Reactions: PO60

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
If we can get BB and Kerk to return their final year we’re going to be insane good next season. Gotta get the donors like we did for RBY and Carter $$$$

Reactions: ElDuce

Latest posts