Penn State wrestling loses commitment from Class of 2024 recruit Mason Gibson

Karl_Havok

Oct 6, 2021
I remember when Mason Gibson was in like 8th grade and everybody thought he was a can't miss prospect. He is exceptionally good but his peers definitely caught up to him as he got older. My guess is that he doesn't see a clear path to starting for PSU.

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021
I am surprised his brother is still there. I don't see his brother ever starting at PSU.

Biffkin

Nov 5, 2021
I remember when Mason Gibson was in like 8th grade and everybody thought he was a can't miss prospect. He is exceptionally good but his peers definitely caught up to him as he got older. My guess is that he doesn't see a clear path to starting for PSU.
The kid is a really good wrestler, but his lack of length and his short arms are a disadvantage. The Penn State room is a meat grinder. He'll crack somebody else's line-up.

Reactions: El_Jefe

SRATH

Oct 30, 2021
He can go someplace pretty decent and probably get a full ride or close to it vs some partial at PSU. WVU, Pitt would be right in his backyard. I would suspect other teams are looking at the log jam we have at a number of weights and simply reach out with a hey, here is our deal.

Seems like a great young man who will do well wherever he decides to go.

Reactions: JBott

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
He can go someplace pretty decent and probably get a full ride or close to it vs some partial at PSU. WVU, Pitt would be right in his backyard. I would suspect other teams are looking at the log jam we have at a number of weights and simply reach out with a hey, here is our deal.

All indications are Rutger. BOOM!

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
The kid is a really good wrestler, but his lack of length and his short arms are a disadvantage. The Penn State room is a meat grinder. He'll crack somebody else's line-up.
IMO he would be better at 125 if he can reasonably get there.

His issues with lack of height/length were apparent in his SW Regional final vs Jack Kazalas. He won 13-5, but Kazalas had little difficulty reaching and tying up his legs in scrambles. That won't get easier with college 133s.

But Rutger might need him at 133, with the tiny Ayden Smith also arriving this fall.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Not a huge surprise, in that things were pointing toward Rutgers, and there was social media postings of him at Rutgers this past weekend.

JBott

Nov 1, 2021
I stated a similar sentiment on another board and was attacked by RU fans, saying that they "flipped" a huge PSU commit and the staff was very pissed. I said that I think he has an easier path to a starting spot at RU then PSU and wished him the best. Fans are crazy..............................

Karl_Havok

Oct 6, 2021
I stated a similar sentiment on another board and was attacked by RU fans, saying that they "flipped" a huge PSU commit and the staff was very pissed. I said that I think he has an easier path to a starting spot at RU then PSU and wished him the best. Fans are crazy..............................

I wish I was as good at anything as Mason Gibson is at wrestling but a guy that never won a PIAA state title flipping to Rutgers is certainly not the huge PSU recruit flip they think it is.

*I know that BC was banned from postseason wrestling for a couple of years but even in his senior campaign he took 4th. Is he a legit D1 wrestler? Absolutely. Will this impact PSU? It will not.

Reactions: JBott

JBott

Nov 1, 2021

Exactly!

JBott

Nov 1, 2021
I wish I was as good at anything as Mason Gibson is at wrestling but a guy that never won a PIAA state title flipping to Rutgers is certainly not the huge PSU recruit flip they think it is.

*I know that BC was banned from postseason wrestling for a couple of years but even in his senior campaign he took 4th. Is he a legit D1 wrestler? Absolutely. Will this impact PSU? It will not.
Agreed! That was my only point.

SRATH

Oct 30, 2021

Plus the kid probably gets a full ship or close to it. Almost a no brainer for many kids and their families.