Penn State wrestling will hire Nick Lee to be its new assistant coach

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
"Ultimately, Lee’s trials loss ended his competitive career. But, it opened this door to join Sanderson’s staff. And, it’s a key move. Thomas Gilman also followed Taylor to Stillwater. The former NLWC member was a big helper for the Lions who wrestle anywhere from 125-157 pounds despite not being on staff. Lee can now take that role, which he already had some part in, and will have name recognition on the recruiting trail. It’s a win-win for both sides as Lee starts his next chapter."

Gilman doesn't get enough credit here, in large part because his role wasn't publicized all that much. I know that while RBY was still wrestling for PSU, he worked out with Gilman all the time. And RBY told me how valuable this practice was for him.

SW Fla Lion

Oct 20, 2021
The coaching tree roots for Cael are spreading out. In 10 to 15 years, Nick will be a head coach somewhere teaching the Nittany Lion way to wrestle. Great hire and congrats to Nick.

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
Glad we’re hearing PSU now. Very tired of seeing anything about Oklahoma State now. We are their enemy in recruiting and on the mat now. Just the way competition goes here. My personal feelings are the same now that DT took a bunch of our staff. Here on out may the best program win. JMO

lionlover

Oct 6, 2021
Was hoping that would be the choice!!! An AWESOME decision!!!!! Super wrestler, super person, super-respected, knows his stuff as good as anyone! Proven guy that knows firsthand “what it takes”!!!!
He was my second dream choice. My first was Zain Retherford after he won his Olympic Gold medal and changed his mind on his future career goal.

Reactions: Spice67

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
He was my second dream choice. My first was Zain Retherford after he won his Olympic Gold medal and changed his mind on his future career goal.
Mine as well lionlover. Maybe Zain wants to pursue a career on Wall Street after the Olympics. Let’s just trust the staff here. Love Nick Lee too but he doesn’t have the perigee of Zain. Things will work out so long as Cael is in charge.

Reactions: lionlover

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
"Ultimately, Lee’s trials loss ended his competitive career. But, it opened this door to join Sanderson’s staff. And, it’s a key move. Thomas Gilman also followed Taylor to Stillwater. The former NLWC member was a big helper for the Lions who wrestle anywhere from 125-157 pounds despite not being on staff. Lee can now take that role, which he already had some part in, and will have name recognition on the recruiting trail. It’s a win-win for both sides as Lee starts his next chapter."

I guess we'll have to wait until Nick or CS speak about this. Basch seems to have info that Nick is not ending his competitive career. (I thought it was odd that he'd stop competing, as Zain has indicated this is his last year, and Nick seems to have established himself as the USA's #2 FS wrestler at that weight.)

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021

I guess we'll have to wait until Nick or CS speak about this. Basch seems to have info that Nick is not ending his competitive career. (I thought it was odd that he'd stop competing, as Zain has indicated this is his last year, and Nick seems to have established himself as the USA's #2 FS wrestler at that weight.)

Thanks Tom. Sorry I missed that last week. Updating now.

psykim

Oct 7, 2021
in addition to all his accomplishments on the wrestling match, Nick was also a 4 times first team All Academic winner. His accomplishments are described on the Penn State sports website-he is now listed as the assistant coach.

Reactions: BVSt.Paul

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
@GregPickel , I listened to this podcast. In it, Basch directly asks Nick if he is retiring from competition and his answer is a straight up no. He goes on to say that in the new coach position, he might end up wrestling even more than he already was as a resident athlete for NWLC.
Yep, that makes total sense. As we wrote in the hot board actually being able to wrestle with the guys is a requirement so between his own training and his coaching more seems logical.

Latest posts