Plot Thickening RE Caleb Williams

GoSC27!

Sep 30, 2017
Even so the coaching staff is a mess right now! Maybe they are doing his USC media commitment video!
Fight On!

ACETrojan

Aug 24, 2017
I think we need to keep in mind that if he is getting good advice (and I have to believe he is) then he is in no real hurry to make an announcement. I thought it would happen today vs Mon or Tues since those days were focused on the NC and he would be smart to make his announcement on a day when he can be the top news of the day.

Visiting fUcla or any other school may simply be him trying to shake things up and continue to grow as a much wanted commodity.

We shall see.

FO

Alkebulan7

Aug 24, 2017
To be honest, as a Trojans fan, this is beginning to be a little too much of a "diva" show to me. This guy was just put on the national stage a few months ago when CLR benched one of the pre-season heisman favorites. Yeah he had some good games under CLR's system, what else need to be considered? If development for the next level is really the priority what's the song and dance for? Seems like to me CW and his dad trying to drive up the NIL price. If that's the case, to hell with them. Malachi Nelson will be here next year.

Last edited:

DaFireMedic

Aug 24, 2017
To be honest, as a Trojans fan, this is beginning to be a little too much of a "diva" show to me. This guy was just put on the national stage a few months ago when CLR benched one of the pre-season heisman favorites. Yeah he had some good games under CLR's system, what else need to be considered? If development for the next level is really the priority what's the song and dance for? Seems like to me CW and his dad trying to drive up the NIL price. If that's the case, to hell with them. Malachi Nelson will be here next year.
I agree. I mean, I hope CW comes to USC, but Dart isn’t gone yet anyway, he could always just stay at USC. If he doesn’t stay, Moss will do just fine if he starts next season. And Nelson will be here next year.

Cheerkristy

Nov 5, 2019
Agree.

Reactions: STRECKERmemo

Cacadetoro

Feb 9, 2018
So if Caleb does not come here we are in deep do do with Dart and Slovis leaving the cupboard is pretty bare.

qqqqqqqman

Aug 24, 2017
So if Caleb does not come here we are in deep do do with Dart and Slovis leaving the cupboard is pretty bare.

We’re not going from the outhouse to the penthouse in one season anyway. It’s a process and we’ll need a full TEAM and COACHING effort to turn this around.

If both CW and Dart are not here, we’ll have another transfer knocking on the door. Moss and a transfer can run the show for ‘22. We want team and culture improvement.

Jay4usc

Jan 10, 2018
It’s the media and folks in the forums putting on the show. The kid is just doing his due diligence.

kasrkin

Sep 9, 2017
I'm not remotely interested in watching the USC Sooners next season.

Hope this helps.
Yeah, when I first heard the news about Dart transferring and Williams supposedly locked in, it actually made me a little sad.

One of the great joys of watching the Pete dynasty was watching his 6-6 team with Carson Palmer bloom into the Heisman trophy winner/Orange Bowl winner. What we're seeing today with players feels dirty and inorganic and just a little sad.

Michael Connolly

Jun 30, 2021
Yeah, when I first heard the news about Dart transferring and Williams supposedly locked in, it actually made me a little sad.

One of the great joys of watching the Pete dynasty was watching his 6-6 team with Carson Palmer bloom into the Heisman trophy winner/Orange Bowl winner. What we're seeing today with players feels dirty and inorganic and just a little sad.
I agree with this but if Dart truly is leaving then we had better be landing Caleb IMO. I kind of think it would be a huge botch (optics wise at least) to end up with Moss and Hassan as our only QBs, despite the fact that Moss would more than likely do very well under Riley.

USCAlum88

Nov 26, 2020
Every single college football player should try to get the highest NIL deal that they can since the rules allow it. They're one injury away from never playing football again.

SCweARE111

Dec 20, 2017
According to One of the posters From bro DTR got his NFL Grade and they said that he should play WR next year and thats why CW and Dart are both Looking at UCLA

• Wow
Reactions: Rodgarnay51

HectorSpectre

Nov 18, 2017
Every single college football player should try to get the highest NIL deal that they can since the rules allow it. They're one injury away from never playing football again.

I certainly don't expect national hardware next season, but I am expecting us to be competitive in every game we play. I'm only one more 4-8 season away from punting CFB altogether. This is not even close to the game I played and grew up loving.

I stopped watching the NFL 5 years ago because of all the egos, PC bullchit and entitled, overpaid brats looking for constant attention. Right now CFB is looking to me more and more like the NFL every year.

Except regarding the playoff picture where at least the NFL gives everyone a true shot. CFB can't even get that right, as golden tickets are handed out in a smoke-filled room by a Star Chamber comprised of 12 fat cats and one kitty-journalist. Read these bios and puke-away. No wonder they can't even find their way clear to expanding the CFB playoffs, as the vast majority of fans want and have been demanding for years. Far too many deserving teams left out, IMO.

Last edited:

abbyboyone

Oct 22, 2017
yup, look at that receiver from bama who has a torn knee.

Alkebulan7

Aug 24, 2017
It’s the media and folks in the forums putting on the show. The kid is just doing his due diligence.
"Due diligence", if you believe that, I have some beachfront property for you in Watts. The kid and his family did their due diligence over a year ago when they determined CLR was the coach that would most develop his talent for the next level, hmmm did that change? As Jimbo Fisher said the day of the national championship game, "NIL is nothing new, now folks can sign for $50k NIL deals, before $50k in a bag would just show up at their house." Stevie Wonder can see what's going on here. By the way, this is what sports forums are for, for "fans" to express their "amateur" opinions.

Last edited:

Alkebulan7

Aug 24, 2017
7/5/20:
Williams said the success of Baker Mayfield, Kyler Murray and Jalen Hurts helped convince him to commit to Riley and the Sooners.
The way Riley was able to take advantage of each quarterback's strengths and weaknesses despite wildly different skill sets played a big part, Williams said.

"That is true,” Williams’ father, Carl Williams, told SI Sooners Wednesday in a text message. “The scholarship was not a determinant factor in our decision. Never made the spreadsheet. If we decided that this was the best place for him to help him reach his ultimate goal then he would enroll as a regular student, walk-on, and see what happens. Competition makes you better.”

Hopefully, after their "due diligence", the same conclusion will be reached towards SC. That is if it's about development for the next level and not who is offering the highest NIL deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rodgarnay51

KeepCalm&FightOn

Aug 24, 2017
No problem if the kid is exploring his options. But if CLR gets the sense hes jerking us around, he should cut his losses and work on getting Dart back. And refocus on other top talent in the portal. Its not like QB was our main issue last year. We need d-linemen and backers.

I also don't think pushing out guys who choose our university in the first place for 'brand building' focused, mercenary players is the best way to build a winning program or culture anyways... just my two cents.

Boomer On

Who's High Pitch?

Sep 13, 2017
No problem if the kid is exploring his options. But if CLR gets the sense hes jerking us around, he should cut his losses and work on getting Dart back. And refocus on other top talent in the portal. Its not like QB was our main issue last year. We need d-linemen and backers.

I also don't think pushing out guys who choose our university in the first place for 'brand building' focused, mercenary players is the best way to build a winning program or culture anyways... just my two cents.

Boomer On
Dude, rosters always change to a degree when a new coach comes aboard. Our last roster got us 4-8 and you can be sure that there were guys on the team that became complacent with that.

Yale

Sep 29, 2017
love of money leads to compromise of ones self , even incl commitments, giving of ones word...now is as useless as the non vaccine vaccines...sc hires a coach who leaves before he even warms his seat...things are not getting better,players refuse to be a real part of a team, all is self.

heyrev

Aug 24, 2017
I don't disagree with your thoughts but with NIL monies out there for the taking, how does any program not have their fair share of kids pursuing "brand building?" Like it or not, that IS the culture, whether you build it or not. Today's coach has to live with a mix of "mercenaries" along those who won't play a down of football after college. You don't push those guys out but you also can't ignore the kids who can capitalize on this new revenue stream. Those special talents are what make or break you as a coach.

Reactions: ssk121

Jay4usc

Jan 10, 2018
"Due diligence", if you believe that, I have some beachfront property for you in Watts. The kid and his family did their due diligence over a year ago when they determined CLR was the coach that would most develop his talent for the next level, hmmm did that change? As Jimbo Fisher said the day of the national championship game, "NIL is nothing new, now folks can sign for $50k NIL deals, before $50k in a bag would just show up at their house." Stevie Wonder can see what's going on here. By the way, this is what sports forums are for, for "fans" to express their "amateur" opinions.
im sure he wants to make sure he will have an OL to protect him. it’s not like SC is loaded with 4 and 5 star OL. Without an OL he will be an average QB under any systems.

Where are you getting your info about his dad running up the price on NIL?

Cacadetoro

Feb 9, 2018
We’re not going from the outhouse to the penthouse in one season anyway. It’s a process and we’ll need a full TEAM and COACHING effort to turn this around.

If both CW and Dart are not here, we’ll have another transfer knocking on the door. Moss and a transfer can run the show for ‘22. We want team and culture improvement.

Can't argue with that qman! If Caleb does come I hope he does not act like a prima donna. This is a team sport. Hopefully, I am just fretting over nothing. Coaching nonetheless will be the game changer no matter who plays.

Michael Connolly

Jun 30, 2021
According to One of the posters From bro DTR got his NFL Grade and they said that he should play WR next year and thats why CW and Dart are both Looking at UCLA
I saw that and took it as more of a joke than anything else (besides the part of DTR not being an NFL QB lol)

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
No wonder they can't even find their way clear to expanding the CFB playoffs, as the vast majority of fans want and have been demanding for years. Far too many deserving teams left out, IMO.
Every conference has silo thinking. On top of that, after texas and oklahoma announced they were joining the SEC, the ACC, Big Ten and Pac-12 formed an alliance that hasn't helped further the process. Then, you have the Rose Bowl, Big Ten and Pac-12 favoring a model that gets as close to its participants playing on the game's traditional date of Jan. 1 at 5 p.m. ET. At some point, the trade-off is going to be 12 teams for the letting go of the Rose Bowl in it's traditional sunset time slot.

Dallas Schwartz

Jan 9, 2021
I certainly don't expect national hardware next season, but I am expecting us to be competitive in every game we play. I'm only one more 4-8 season away from punting CFB altogether. This is not even close to the game I played and grew up loving.

I stopped watching the NFL 5 years ago because of all the egos, PC bullchit and entitled, overpaid brats looking for constant attention. Right now CFB is looking to me more and more like the NFL every year.

Except regarding the playoff picture where at least the NFL gives everyone a true shot. CFB can't even get that right, as golden tickets are handed out in a smoke-filled room by a Star Chamber comprised of 12 fat cats and one kitty-journalist. Read these bios and puke-away. No wonder they can't even find their way clear to expanding the CFB playoffs, as the vast majority of fans want and have been demanding for years. Far too many deserving teams left out, IMO.
Thank you!! My thoughts exactly!

USCAlum88

Nov 26, 2020

I agree with you. I only watch the Super Bowl and its usually more of a get together party event. Money ruins most things. Since there is no cap and not much of a governing body for college football, whoever is willing to put out the most money will be able buy some hardware. Some schools in the past cheated and had unfair advantages by buying a couple of stars under the table but now you can legally buy a whole team.

• Love
Reactions: gubo&palanka

Alkebulan7

Aug 24, 2017
im sure he wants to make sure he will have an OL to protect him. it’s not like SC is loaded with 4 and 5 star OL. Without an OL he will be an average QB under any systems.

Where are you getting your info about his dad running up the price on NIL?
"Former NFL quarterback Charlie Batch offered Caleb Williams a $1 million NIL deal to leave Oklahoma and bypass USC and Georgia to go to his alma mater."

I'm sure that's not the only school making offers. Just the only one publicized. Good point regarding the OL.

Reactions: Jay4usc

Alkebulan7

Aug 24, 2017
flywareagle.com:

"...The former Sooner has remained quiet about his recruitment process, but it’s mostly accepted as a fact that Williams is after a huge NIL deal, and his father is looking to be compensated as well. In these new times of the NIL, Williams might be chasing a bag, but you’d think he would be interested in playing ball in front of a full stadium than a handful of USC fans...

It’s been confirmed that Auburn football’s staff has spoken with Williams and that there is some mutual interest there, and having the QB visit Georgia could mean the Tigers could persuade the transfer to visit the Plains while he’s in the South.

Though nothing about Caleb Williams’ destination has been confirmed, it’s a positive sign for Auburn football that he has not yet committed to his former coach and the USC Trojans. Don’t count Auburn out until Williams has made an official decision."

Jay4usc

Jan 10, 2018
"Former NFL quarterback Charlie Batch offered Caleb Williams a $1 million NIL deal to leave Oklahoma and bypass USC and Georgia to go to his alma mater."

I'm sure that's not the only school making offers. Just the only one publicized. Good point regarding the OL.
IMO, his dad is more concerned preparing him for the NFL where he can get paid $20+ mil. I could be wrong but with his talent he can wait 2 years for the big pay day.

Latest posts