Portal update...

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Some other guy from some other team probably entered the portal today. Always someone in the portal to replace the guy we lost to the portal. Free Agency all it is.

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Tom Hanks Hello GIF

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Lebby continuing to purge the Leach players. Will see if this works out, I'm guessing no.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Did that dude have a head injury or is it normal practice now to have the shell on the helmet during practice?
100% normal. Guardian caps. Most kids practice with them. Takes a lot of the sting off. They look goofy, but make hits to the helmet a lot more comfortable. Honestly, I see something similar becoming part of helmets in the future.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
100% normal. Guardian caps. Most kids practice with them. Takes a lot of the sting off. They look goofy, but make hits to the helmet a lot more comfortable. Honestly, I see something similar becoming part of helmets in the future.
Yea, I'm kind of surprised they have equipment that they claim makes practice safer that isn't required in the game, unless there is some serious performance impact.

Reactions: olblue and Dawgg

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Yea, I'm kind of surprised they have equipment that they claim makes practice safer that isn't required in the game, unless there is some serious performance impact.
Agreed. They work really well. We even make our peewee LBs and RBs wear them. Takes a ton of the edge off. It could easily be implemented into games. Make them in colors and print a logo on it.

On the flip side, I think if tacklers don’t feel some sting, they will run even harder. The reciprocation of the impact slows it down a little at the youth level. The more we protect heads, the less we can protect knees and the chest. There isn’t a perfect solution.

Reactions: Crazy Cotton

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
On the flip side, I think if tacklers don’t feel some sting, they will run even harder. The reciprocation of the impact slows it down a little at the youth level. The more we protect heads, the less we can protect knees and the chest. There isn’t a perfect solution.
There's pretty interesting studies on the Peltzman effect. Somebody likes to argue that if we want to make football safer, we should go back to leather helmets without facemasks. I think that argument is tongue in cheek, but not positive.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
There's pretty interesting studies on the Peltzman effect. Somebody likes to argue that if we want to make football safer, we should go back to leather helmets without facemasks. I think that argument is tongue in cheek, but not positive.
I don't think that's tongue in cheek at all. The more protected a defensive player is, the more they will use their body as a torpedo.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Player I’ve never heard of leaves. I don’t care who recruited who, that’s rarely a bad thing.
Probably isn't. But there are lots of good players that you wouldn't have heard about them after their freshman year or even RS freshman year. Off hand, I don't really remember Preston Smith at all before his last two years (not sure how much is it just being a while ago, but I really don't know that I remember anything more than his last year; seemed like he was suddenly awesome and then he was gone as far as I can remember). Not sure if I was alone in that and people that paid more attention knew about his potential.

patdog

May 28, 2007
It’s not as crazy as you might think. Rugby has more injuries than football but far fewer severe injuries.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
It’s not as crazy as you might think. Rugby has more injuries than football but far fewer severe injuries.
I don't think it's crazy at all. I just think that with the way football culture has developed, you'd have a lot of morons still putting themselves and other players at risk of serious injury, at least for a little while.

If you started a group of young players playing football in rugby equipment without having them watch a lot of modern football, I think the game they play would look much different when they were grown than what we see in football now. But you just put football players out there in rugby equipment, I'm not sure they'd react by being much safer. But maybe they would. Not sure the modern offensive and defensive line techniques are even possible in rugby equipment. I think pass blocking would be the least impacted, but really not sure what the rest looks like if you can't put a face mask on anybody anymore.

Reactions: patdog

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
Lebby continuing to purge the Leach players. Will see if this works out, I'm guessing no.
He's been on campus for two years and hasn't seen the field yet. Granted, he was the #16 player in MS when he came out of high school (according to ESPN), but I have a hard time seeing how this is going to be a big loss.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
He's been on campus for two years and hasn't seen the field yet. Granted, he was the #16 player in MS when he came out of high school (according to ESPN), but I have a hard time seeing how this is going to be a big loss.
Got to develop. We aren’t winning with replacement players out of the portal. All that does is maybe hold serve. We have to neutralize the gap somehow.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I had a relative that played for Bull Sullivan at Scooba. He always said the best thing to cut back on serious head injuries would be to take the face mask off. Notably he didn't include broken teeth, broken noses, or facial cuts as serious. He was mostly correct I think.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I had a relative that played for Bull Sullivan at Scooba. He always said the best thing to cut back on serious head injuries would be to take the face mask off. Notably he didn't include broken teeth, broken noses, or facial cuts as serious. He was mostly correct I think.
Not totally wrong. That’s why targeting penalties work, incentives. Not as effective as pure pain, but still.

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019
Got to develop. We aren’t winning with replacement players out of the portal. All that does is maybe hold serve. We have to neutralize the gap somehow.
That’s an antiquated way of thinking. You are out of touch with the way College football works. This was a ZA signee who was a marginal player to begin with. He’s a sunbelt talent and we need SEC players. He was buried in our depth chart. He won’t be the last player to leave and some on here are gonna be shocked at who else leaves but probably more shocked on who we add. And That’s in a good way.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
That’s an antiquated way of thinking. You are out of touch with the way College football works. This was a ZA signee who was a marginal player to begin with. He’s a sunbelt talent and we need SEC players. He was buried in our depth chart. He won’t be the last player to leave and some on here are gonna be shocked at who else leaves but probably more shocked on who we add. And That’s in a good way.
No, no, I'm not. I'm well aware of the reality.

Best of luck because that’s not happening anywhere.
I'm not saying not to avoid the transfer portal. But simply losing and replacing yields us nothing.

We'll see what Lebby trots out this fall. I'm not optimistic.

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019
No, no, I'm not. I'm well aware of the reality.

I'm not saying not to avoid the transfer portal. But simply losing and replacing yields us nothing.

We'll see what Lebby trots out this fall. I'm not optimistic.
You probably still subscribe to the poor ol state mentality as well.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
You probably still subscribe to the poor ol state mentality as well.
I do moreso now than I did in 2009 or so. We could afford to play with the big boys back then. I am not so sure we can anymore. All the more reason we need a niche, rather than going head to head in NIL.

Portal - we need to be hitting the G5 hard. I'd rather develop our own guys in a defined, predetermined system that spans multiple coaches, than simply mix and match them with Southern Miss and Bama's benchwarmers.

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019
I do moreso now than I did in 2009 or so. We could afford to play with the big boys back then. I am not so sure we can anymore. All the more reason we need a niche, rather than going head to head in NIL.

Portal - we need to be hitting the G5 hard. I'd rather develop our own guys in a defined, predetermined system that spans multiple coaches, than simply mix and match them with Southern Miss and Bama's benchwarmers.
This attitude is part of the problem and unfortunately you are not alone in your thinking and it sucks. I got news for you We are financially better than we were in 2009 by a long shot yet we have fans like yourself who won’t step up and donate help us move even further. Why, cause you don’t agree with NIL. It’s very caveman thinking.