Predict the next 4...

bulldognation

All-Conference
Jan 26, 2004
3,802
1,541
113
Heart says 3-1, but 1-3 is most likely scenario just based on history.

Going 4-0 in September is awesome, no doubt. But the overall season hinges on October. Team mentality is different when you're 7-1 vs 5-3.

Regardless of what happens over the next 5 weeks, right now I think we got a good shot at going 4-0 in November.
 

horshack.sixpack

All-American
Oct 30, 2012
12,109
9,441
113
Alabama
@ LSU
Oklahoma
@ Texas

Decent shot at 2-2. If we beat Bama, I can easily see 3-1. 1-3 is the the most probable. 4-0, I'm moving some $$ around to plan for my winter travels to various football games.
If it's 1-3 it will be an injury/depth issue.

ETA: MSU odds say we injure both starting corners in the weeks leading up and that Oklahoma fires their coach the week of and the interim brings in the QB who should've been playing all along who sets a new passing record.***
 

Bulldog from Birth

All-Conference
Jan 23, 2007
2,552
1,149
113
1-3 seems most likely. But if we go 2-2, we go into November in the thick of the playoff race. 3-1 in October, and our playoff odds >50% to start November.
 

TXDawg.sixpack

All-Conference
Apr 10, 2009
2,584
2,618
113
Alabama
@ LSU
Oklahoma
@ Texas

Decent shot at 2-2. If we beat Bama, I can easily see 3-1. 1-3 is the the most probable. 4-0, I'm moving some $$ around to plan for my winter travels to various football games.
Unfortunately, I think it’s going to be 1-3. If Texas were in Starkville, I might call it 2-2.
 

Faustdog

All-Conference
Jun 4, 2007
4,177
2,733
113
Heart says 3-1, but 1-3 is most likely scenario just based on history.

Going 4-0 in September is awesome, no doubt. But the overall season hinges on October. Team mentality is different when you're 7-1 vs 5-3.

Regardless of what happens over the next 5 weeks, right now I think we got a good shot at going 4-0 in November.
1-3 in that stretch is a huge win for Lebby and us as a program when you look at where we have been. To be 5-3 with a likelihood of 8-4 is a major accomplishment.
 

preacher_dawg

All-Conference
Nov 12, 2014
2,754
2,188
113
I know we've got our issues on the line, but it's encouraging to see that we're in the middle of the pack as opposed to down toward the bottom. Caveat that I have no idea where these numbers stack up nationally.
Now, sadly, do holding penalties, not even counting the ones that are not called.
 

POTUS

Heisman
Sep 29, 2022
4,897
13,203
113
I know we've got our issues on the line, but it's encouraging to see that we're in the middle of the pack as opposed to down toward the bottom. Caveat that I have no idea where these numbers stack up nationally.
16 teams in conference so we are in the top 1/3
 

golferdog

All-Conference
Jan 1, 2024
1,323
1,078
113
Maybe 1-3, but could easily be 0-4. These teams are very good and have much more talent and depth than us. I hope we can make it out of October with our best players healthy. We are so thin. If we can beat OU and steal another that would be incredible.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Pilgrimdawg

horshack.sixpack

All-American
Oct 30, 2012
12,109
9,441
113
I'll take the holding penalty EVERY time if it saves Kamario's left knee or stops a big blindside hit.
Yep. Make them call it if your for sure beat. I feel the same on deep routes where the defender knows he's burned. Just tackle the WR and live to fight another day.
 

msudawg12

Senior
Dec 9, 2008
3,965
713
113
Alabama - L - I want to say we win but MSU always has a hard time "seeing past the pinstripes"
@ LSU - L - They're going to be hell going forward
Oklahoma - W -gross
@ Texas - W - not sure how but i think this is our momentum run on the back end of the season
 
Feb 25, 2017
174
250
43
Also, we're 7th in passes attempted (only 6 passes from 10th) and 10th in QB hits/hurries.
I've watched several SEC games this year where OLs looked suspect. LSU has one of the most expensive lines in the country and they do not look good. Probably a function of transfers on every OL that haven't had time to gel.
 
  • Like
Reactions: patdog

patdog

Heisman
May 28, 2007
60,438
31,649
113
I've watched several SEC games this year where OLs looked suspect. LSU has one of the most expensive lines in the country and they do not look good. Probably a function of transfers on every OL that haven't had time to gel.
The portal world has made the game significantly worse. Top teams today aren't as good as top teams from 5-10 years ago.
 

Dawg1976

All-Conference
Aug 22, 2012
8,371
2,898
113
Well after our first quick td against ULM I predicted 11-1 so I’ll go with 3-1 in Oct and 4-0 in November. 🍺. Burp…..
 

Wesson Bulldog

All-Conference
Nov 3, 2015
1,921
2,263
113
I think 2-2 is our best case scenario, I think it’s about making sure you beat Oklahoma at home and then finding a way to steal 1 of the other 3.

My gut says we only beat OU and are 5-3 entering November. But I could be talked into 6-2.
This is my thought, too. 5-3 headed to November is good. 6-2 and we can start talking playoff.
 

GloryDawg

Heisman
Mar 3, 2005
20,636
19,356
113
2-2. I think we have lost 16 consecutive games with Bama and until we beat them, we can't beat them. On the other hand, they don't have Saban we are due a victory.
 

40mikemike

Senior
Sep 29, 2022
439
903
93
Just beat Bama. I'm not going to do what I did in 2014 and start looking ahead and not enjoying the moment enough, so I don't really care. I see a couple of scenarios:

- Beat Bama, then we'll hear our praises during the off week, be flat vs. LSU. Beat OU bc they can't score then lose at Texas. Win a couple more, flirt with playoff, then folks start talking about Lebby to OU.
- Lose to Bama, which beats us again at LSU (probably a blowout), and who knows after that. OU may muck the game up and beat us.

Injuries are piling up, so that may limit us. OR.....we go on a crazy run. But a win over them would be glorious, just for the trolling. Literally anything can happen after that. Even after Saturday, I can't tell if we're a good team who didn't play well and still won, or an average team who got exposed.
That last part…I still don’t know how good we are as a complete team. We’ve got some absolutely incredible pieces and a generational quarterback with solid, explosive wide receivers give us a legitimate shot in every game. Offensive and defensive lines are just not very good though. Penalties are piling up and we just play sloppy for extended periods. Then, right when I think “yep, I’ve seen this $hi+ before…” KT throws a bomb that puts us right back in the game or Fluff fights his *** off for ten yards.

My head says we go 1-3 through this stretch with a win over a bad Oklahoma team. My heart says 2-2 with a win over OU and a Texas team that just does not seem to have a consistent offense. My gosh damn maroon soul says we beat all these sonsabitches and start the season 8-0!
 

Drebin

Heisman
Aug 22, 2012
22,478
27,333
113
Alabama
@ LSU
Oklahoma
@ Texas

Decent shot at 2-2. If we beat Bama, I can easily see 3-1. 1-3 is the the most probable. 4-0, I'm moving some $$ around to plan for my winter travels to various football games.
Hopefully we steal one or two, but we just need to get through it healthy so we can take care of the last four: Auburn, Vandy, TN Tech, and Ole Miss. Very real shot to finish 3-1 or 4-0.
 

RotorHead

Senior
Mar 26, 2019
714
602
93
0-4 in Oct for 4-4 on the year. This way, I’m not disappointed when it does happen and am ecstatic if we get anything more than that.
 
Oct 31, 2022
182
268
63
This season is building for next year. Use this tape to recruit talent and depth on both sides of the line and we can make a real, real deep run next year.

I think we smoke Oklahoma like a peace pipe, give LSU all they want, and play well against Texas, but this Bama game is going to expose the left side of our lines big time.
 
  • Like
Reactions: stateu1
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State Week 5 Preview: Who Controls the Skies?
  2. 02 Maroon and White Football "Complementary team football is what they're doing really well": Alabama HC Kalen DeBoer on Mississippi State matchup
  3. 03 Maroon and White Football SEC Nation returns to Starkville, beginning with Friday Finebaum show
  4. 04 Rivals Basketball Recruiting OTE Pro Day Recruiting Intel: Latest buzz on Beckham Black, Paul Osaruyi and more
  5. 05 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State Week 5 Preview: Alabama Players to Know