PSU - Indiana 2023 Dual thread

SRATH

Oct 30, 2021
Byers wasn’t really describing how washed up Washington was during that match. He probably struggles to make 174 as tall as he is. Two very different wrestlers from their first match

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
He was Flat before the whistle.

The whole thing was weird. It looked very obvious and like the ref was looking right at it.

Yea like he didn’t want to give the earned fall to a backup.

He gave 2 swipes while the guy was flat as flat can be.

You guys remind me of coaches or fans at events that I referee, where they know better about what is happening than does the ref (me), who is a foot or two from the situation and looking right at it.

Shunk got the 2 (not having seen the match, I'm not sure if it's for a TD or a reversal), and Porter ends up on his back. The ref initially awards the 2, which is the correct action. He's looking at the right shoulder, which I suspect is not flat. Shunk gets 2 swipes, and then Porter moves his right shoulder up to nearly 90 degrees, and thus out of NF criteria. Shunk then returns Porter to his back. Porter does look pretty flat, except if you look closely you can see that Porter is bridging, and as such no part of his back is touching the mat. Shunk gets 2 swipes, and then the buzzer sounds. At no point during the 2nd sequence of NF criteria does Porter's back touch the mat.

BigBankFrank

May 24, 2022
You guys remind me of coaches or fans at events that I referee, where they know better about what is happening than does the ref (me), who is a foot or two from the situation and looking right at it.

Shunk got the 2 (not having seen the match, I'm not sure if it's for a TD or a reversal), and Porter ends up on his back. The ref initially awards the 2, which is the correct action. He's looking at the right shoulder, which I suspect is not flat. Shunk gets 2 swipes, and then Porter moves his right shoulder up to nearly 90 degrees, and thus out of NF criteria. Shunk then returns Porter to his back. Porter does look pretty flat, except if you look closely you can see that Porter is bridging, and as such no part of his back is touching the mat. Shunk gets 2 swipes, and then the buzzer sounds. At no point during the 2nd sequence of NF criteria does Porter's back touch the mat.

He looked pinned twice. But what do I know. Lol.

SRATH

Oct 30, 2021

My $.02, after moving to full screen and running back and forth a few times................

His left shoulder is on the mat. Can't see the right shoulder. I guess he could be bridging while both shoulders are down, making a three point triangle of the head and both elbows. His middle back would be up but both shoulders down. Back was definitely not all the way down and the kid showed great instincts/training to salvage a really bad position

If the staff didn't throw the brick which is always my go to...Casey has an eagle eye, then he wasn't down. The ref was right there so he did a good job and that right shoulder must not have been down. Kudos to the camara team for also getting into the best position they had.

Shunk needs to work on finishing........ add one more thing to his to do list.

cb1994

Oct 31, 2022

Bowing Down Waynes World GIF

This is why nobody should trust a word I say. Thanks for the insight sir!

• Haha
Reactions: Tryingtodoitright

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021
Byers wasn’t really describing how washed up Washington was during that match. He probably struggles to make 174 as tall as he is. Two very different wrestlers from their first match
He gasses after the 1st period in the first match too

Mstan85

Nov 29, 2022
My $.02, after moving to full screen and running back and forth a few times................

His left shoulder is on the mat. Can't see the right shoulder. I guess he could be bridging while both shoulders are down, making a three point triangle of the head and both elbows. His middle back would be up but both shoulders down. Back was definitely not all the way down and the kid showed great instincts/training to salvage a really bad position

If the staff didn't throw the brick which is always my go to...Casey has an eagle eye, then he wasn't down. The ref was right there so he did a good job and that right shoulder must not have been down. Kudos to the camara team for also getting into the best position they had.

Shunk needs to work on finishing........ add one more thing to his to do list.
I don't think you can challenge a fall call/not call.

Spinpsu

Dec 1, 2022
Agreed, but I don’t care about Washington
Washington stepped up right in Carters face and was talking trash. Can’t blame Carter. It’s a very emotional sport for those who never wrestled or coached.

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
Washington stepped up right in Carters face and was talking trash. Can’t blame Carter. It’s a very emotional sport for those who never wrestled or coached.

Please, let's not act like Carter was blameless in all of this. Not to mention the pushing off of Washington at the end of the mat was a d!@k move. Bad look for both.

Penn State wrestling’s Carter Starocci gets revenge against Indiana rival amid social media trash talk
Zach Allen | The Daily Collegian Feb 5, 2023

Reactions: WV lion

SRATH

Oct 30, 2021
The PD holds of the arm behind the back is what gets me. If you are trying to turn someone, fine, ref’s call. Carter is straddling him and nearly dislocating Washington’s arm. Ref should have been way more aggressive in stopping it.

Carter calling Washington “boy” isn’t an invite to a family holiday gathering.