PSU - Iowa Dual Thread

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Please use this thread for all pre-match, in-match, and post-match discussion about the PSU - Iowa dual. If you are responding to another post, please use the Quote function.

When: 1/28, 9 pm EST

Where: @ Iowa

TV: BTN

Video Stream: none, unless you get BTN as part of your cable, then you can stream it

Audio Stream: the radio PBP will be streamed for free. Jeff Byers will start with the pre-match portion at 8:40 pm EST, with the match portion to start at 9:00 pm EST. You can access the audio stream at:

I expect to be available for PBP. It's one match I probably would rather sit back and enjoy, but I'll do what I can for PBP.

LionsAndBears

Oct 13, 2021
I'm pissed I'm gonna miss this. Gotta work tonight. I'm expecting a win. I can't wait for the replay so I can watch our boys take down those Hawkeyes(PA expats). Most of all I want to see RBY dismantle DeSanto.

WE ARE!!

Reactions: Therealbige

1Maddog

Oct 31, 2021
Please use this thread for all pre-match, in-match, and post-match discussion about the PSU - Iowa dual. If you are responding to another post, please use the Quote function.

When: 1/28, 9 pm EST

Where: @ Iowa

TV: BTN

Video Stream: none, unless you get BTN as part of your cable, then you can stream it

Audio Stream: the radio PBP will be streamed for free. Jeff Byers will start with the pre-match portion at 8:40 pm EST, with the match portion to start at 9:00 pm EST. You can access the audio stream at:

I expect to be available for PBP. It's one match I probably would rather sit back and enjoy, but I'll do what I can for PBP.
Appreciate the PBP Tom!

AK1967

Dec 9, 2021
Lol. The brands brother show. Yea go where you learn to hate wrestling. Just ask Mike Evans and others. Lmao.

SonnyAbeFan

Oct 30, 2021
Interesting

Mineo: "It looks like Ayala may have torn something in his upper body and will be out until the postseason- best case scenario is he returns for B1Gs and toughs it out… Worst case- Iowa loses their 2nd 125 lber! Hope he heals up in time, he’s explosive and fun to watch!"

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
PSU with 24 straight dual wins. Iowa with 29 straight dual wins. Those are the two longest win streaks in the country, and one of them will end tonight.

PSU's last dual loss was @ Iowa in 2020.

AK1967

Dec 9, 2021
Mineo: "It looks like Ayala may have torn something in his upper body and will be out until the postseason- best case scenario is he returns for B1Gs and toughs it out… Worst case- Iowa loses their 2nd 125 lber! Hope he heals up in time, he’s explosive and fun to watch!"
Na. It’s all about the seeding. Typical Brands and Ryan.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Interview with CS. Summaries of the question, and then summaries of the answer preceded by a hyphen

These are special dual meets. The entire country is focused in. How fun is it.
- I'm excited, just like everybody else. As a team, sets the stage for the 2nd half of the season. It's exciting. Want to see how our guys respond.

Hildebrandt has filled in nicely
- It could be a tough match; could go either way. Drew is save, and if he can wrestle his areas and compete, it could be a fun match

DeSanto is talented. RBY has figured some things out.
- a huge bout -- could be a NCAA final. We'll see. There's no guarantee for either guy. If Roman can do his thing. Roman has to get to his attacks and tie-ups first.

At 141, was and could be a NCAA final. Two elite kids.
- two outstanding wrestlers. They are both entertaining to watch. They have different styles. Whoever is the aggressor could win. Hopefully, Nick can do his thing. He needs to clear out if it's not his position. Easier said than done.

At 149, Murin is very experienced. Beau looking to take the next step
- A great opportunity for Beau. He's been clutch in our biggest duals. Murin grew up 45 minutes from State College, so we're familiar with him. Another interesting match. Iowa is counting on it, and we think we ca get it.

At 157, some encouraging things from Bearclaw
- Terrell is capable of being amongst the top guys. Obviously, Young is one of the top guys. He needs a signature break-through win to get confidence. This is a great opportunity for him.

At 165, an intriguing matchup
- Marinelli is a hammer, and a fierce competitor. We're excited for him to graduate. It's an interesting matchup for Berge. We'll see how Berge can wrestle against a powerful wrestler

At 174, a rematch of the B1G and NCAA finals
- two of the best wrestlers in the country at either weight. They were 1-1 last year. We're really curious to see if Carter can separate himself. We want to see where we're at with him, and with each wrestler.

Aaron Brooks as been so steady, and provides leadership
- Another very good matchup. Aaron has to just wrestle start. He does a good job of leading the team, and keeping his teammates calm.

Max Dean gets another highly ranked opponent. Both of these kids have a reputation of stepping up when needed
- another match we're excited about. We love having Max, and knowing he'll give his best effort. Should be a fun match to see where we're at

A couple of heavyweights that like to put points on the board
- Another really interesting match. We're hoping it will be different outcome than last year, and we're confident it will be. Dual meet could come down to heavyweight. A lot of matches could go either way

This atmosphere, can you talk about it
- Iowa has a great fan base. They are extremely passionate. They also know what they are doing. They know how to get on the ref. It's not like Rec Hall, where you can hear a pin drop. It's part of the excitement of competing here, and we'll see how our guys respond to it. It's a special thing.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Lineups, per Byers:

125: Drew Hildebrandt vs. Jesse Ybarra
133: RBY vs. Austin DeSanto or Cullan Schriever (both weighed in)
141: Nick Lee vs. Jaydin Eierman
149: Beau Bartlett vs. Max Murin
157: Terrell Barraclough vs. Kaleb Young
165: Brady Berge vs. Alex Marinelli
174: CStar vs. Michael Kemerer
184: Aaron Brooks vs. Abe Assad
197: Max Dean vs. Jacob Warner
285: Kerk vs. Tony Cassioppi

Reactions: BW Lion

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Lineups, per Byers:

125: Drew Hildebrandt vs. Jesse Ybarra
133: RBY vs. Austin DeSanto or Cullan Schriever (both weighed in)
141: Nick Lee vs. Jaydin Eierman
149: Beau Bartlett vs. Max Murin
157: Terrell Barraclough vs. Kaleb Young
165: Brady Berge vs. Alex Marinelli
174: CStar vs. Michael Kemerer
184: Aaron Brooks vs. Abe Assad
197: Max Dean vs. Jacob Warner
285: Kerk vs. Tony Cassioppi
Thought it was interesting that Byers said don't be surprised if it's Schriever. We shall see.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Angel Rivera is the ref. ugh

125: Drew Hildebrandt (DH) vs. Jesse Ybarra (JY)

Per 1
Ybarra shoots a low single, nothing. Not a lot thru the 1st minute. Ybarra sort of shoots, nothing. DH reaches for an ankle, nothing. Lot of hand fighting. 1 min left. DH gets a knee but loses it. End

Per 2
Ybarra takes neutral. Smart decision. DH shoots, nothing, Ybarra tries a counter, nothing. 1 min left. DH gets a head inside single and drives through to get the TD,2-0. He throws in a boot. End. RT @ 49 sec for DH

Per 3
DH takes bottom. He's to his feet, tries a switch, and hits a reversal off of it, 4-0. And he throws in a boot. RT goes over 1 min. DH throws in a 2nd boot and stretches him out. 1 min left. DH not having much luck with a tilt, and JY not doing much on the bottom. Stall warning on JY. RT is locked. Working a half nelson and gets swipes, and 3 NF. End. With 2:18 in RT, it's a 9-0 MAJOR

4-0

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
Noticed this at Michigan but rby not wrestling like rby.

Latest posts