PSU - Iowa Dual Thread

Locopsu

Oct 7, 2021
Thanks. In retrospect, it hit me that that's the only logical call. I do need to watch it again. I recall that it seemed like he started counting when Warner got in "danger" but it must have been the same time that he got below the waist. I agree with you and Gibbons that Warner was no longer in control. Cael had a funny look/smile as he was walking away - like, you blew it, but oh well.
I think Cael knows his wrestlers and let’s them learn from mistakes instead of screaming like an emotional idiot (me) or the brands.

alogsdon

Nov 1, 2021
The Brands get away with a lot of crap that other coaches don't. Aside from their usual antics, I noticed that when Cael challenged a call, Brands made his way over to the table and kept arguing with the officials and had to be told to return to the bench numerous times. But when Iowa challenged a call, Cael calmly walks over to the table and gets an explanation of what is being challenged, then walks back to the bench. I feel bad for the kids they are suppose to be coaching. They spend more time arguing calls with the ref and yelling at opposing coach, than they do coaching their own kids.

Reactions: Michlion and LB99

Still in State Colllege

Oct 12, 2021
Things went about how most imagined I would guess.

125 - Good steady bout. I think we are seeing who DH is.

133 - 133 was weird as ADS was trying to go bully and RBY just kept shutting him down. You would still like to see him find his own shot.

141 - Nick Lee is just too smart to play into what JE wants people to do. It isn't sexy but it will always be a win.

149- Bartlett just isn't going to open up. He seems like he has a lot more to give but he just can't bring himself to take the chance.

157 - Pick a guy and go time. I thought it was a coaching error to put him down but you can't get better or win a position you aren't actively in.

165 - Berge got bullied. He really didn't have an answer to the pressure. Not sure he can run with the top 165's.

174 - great match. Not much to say.

184 - I know it is only a dual but bonus points matter in March and you have to have that mindset every match.

197 - great effort by Dean. He won how I thought he would. Conditioning.

285 - was a superior guy getting into two 50/50 positions and losing them both. I think this is going to be a good learning experience.

So PSU won what I thought other than 285. I didn't figure there were going to be any points at 149/157/165. Good to see the even matches go PSU's way. Great dual too bad Rivera's stink was put on it. There has to be a better guy.

watoos

Oct 31, 2021
The match was intense, I tapped out on the Brands brothers. Had enough of them during the dual. Who the hell are the always pointing at? Surely not Cael.
They would get their stubby finger snapped off. There was a guy I worked with who was strong as a mule, he would take his thumb and push it against the side of your nose and you couldn't move. Knew another guy who got his glove caught in the drill on a drill press, he just grabbed the chuck and stalled the machine until he got his hand freed. Never wear gloves when using a drill, especially a drill press.

• Wow
Reactions: Tryingtodoitright

Michlion

Nov 7, 2021
So if my math is correct, 188,000 Penn State fans & 175,000 Iowa fans. ;)
I was one psu fan who wanted to see the tnt story......i thought I might appreciate them more. Unfortunately that was not the case. I am interested to see if other psu fans think more positive of them after watching it?

Piketownman

Oct 8, 2021
I was one psu fan who wanted to see the tnt story......i thought I might appreciate them more. Unfortunately that was not the case. I am interested to see if other psu fans think more positive of them after watching it?
Yeah, I did the same. Maybe helped with Tom. A little.

ptomaselli

Oct 6, 2021
Tom Brands.

My wife just saw the promo for the B1G story on the Brand brothers and declared that they both suffer from defective, perhaps inbred, genes.

Mama Brands is the likely source
If any of you want to still watch the Big Story on the Brands Brothers, the show is scheduled to be re-broadcast this morning (2/3/22) at 9:30am ET on BTN.

BaccaFarmer

Oct 12, 2021
I give Angel credit for one thing. Eirmann needed a lunger and pulled off some tape on his fingers and was headed to his corner and Angel told him, stay here. Angel kept Eirmann from getting that lunger. Honestly I think Angel made some iffy calls for both sides. C* not getting taken down could have gone either way. He could have hit RBY for stalling and sent it to OT. Angel didn't really determine the final outcome and that's all that matters. Now, some of his calls at Rec Hall are another matter.
The Big Ten Ref pool has got to be big enough that we don’t see Angel but once or twice per season. I’m fairly confident that complaints have been lodged, yet we keep seeing the guy every week or two. Why?

BaccaFarmer

Oct 12, 2021
It was a puff piece! They included a few tart chewables to give the appearance of balanced coverage. BTN is like every other network in that they seek eyeballs. Unfortunately for Iowa fans, this TNT story will be the only thing that makes them feel “special” in 22’.

Reactions: Michlion

Tryingtodoitright

Oct 12, 2021
Did you ever watch parts of a movie over the course of time and though you’ve never seen the whole thing, once you get to see it, you swear you’d already seen it? That’s where I am with the brands video. I’ve seen enough parts and pieces that it feels like I’ve already seen it. Maybe I’ll watch the whole thing if it’s on during the summer when I’m craving something wrestling related. As far as the Brands brothers are concerned I know I should try and keep this post respectable. I know they bring a lot of energy to big 10 wrestling. And wrestling needs some guys in the black hats. They fill that bill. I can never understand how they can get away with such matside antics. Borderline bullying, unsportsmanlike in my opinion. Passionate, sure. Good examples as humans, not so sure. As far as leading a D1 program they lack many leadership qualities. As one of their own prominent posters said about them (couple years ago before the recruiting success they had with the current crop) these guys would make decent assistant high school coaches. That’s if you want your kid to be influenced by them.
As a PSU fan I’m pretty grateful we’ve got a group of excellent coaches and leaders. Maybe that’s over the top but at some point people need to grow up.

Michlion

Nov 7, 2021
It was a puff piece! They included a few tart chewables to give the appearance of balanced coverage. BTN is like every other network in that they seek eyeballs. Unfortunately for Iowa fans, this TNT story will be the only thing that makes them feel “special” in 22’.
I agree 100%, which is why it was all the more disappointing. They really tried hard to make them seem like guys you would want to coach your son or your team.....and yet they failed (at least with me).

pabison

Dec 11, 2021
I must admit I felt bad for Terry when he lost the qualifying wrestle off for the 96 Olympics after he had won the World Championship. Then he grts injured in 2000 and still gets the bronze, but missed out on his lifelong dream of winning the gold.

i was also surprised that Terry “only” won 2 state titles (also had a runner-up finish) and Tom only won 1 when they were in High School. Tom wasn’t even a top 20 recruit in High School.

helixville

Oct 12, 2021
I see everyone’s point on the brands. However they are dinosaurs. You most likely never see that kind crazy head coach antics ever again. Reminds me of a now retired local basketball coach from tussey mountain named Dave Bailey. His on court antics are legendary and most people can’t believe what he go away with. He coached the same way in 70s and 80s as he’s did in the 2000s. Like when Bailey retired you won’t see that crazy **** anymore when the brands are done.

alogsdon

Nov 1, 2021
I see everyone’s point on the brands. However they are dinosaurs. You most likely never see that kind crazy head coach antics ever again. Reminds me of a now retired local basketball coach from tussey mountain named Dave Bailey. His on court antics are legendary and most people can’t believe what he go away with. He coached the same way in 70s and 80s as he’s did in the 2000s. Like when Bailey retired you won’t see that crazy **** anymore when the brands are done.
Ole Dave Bailey, played against his teams in the 90s. Seen him pull the old Bobby Knight and throw a chair a few times. Parents always put up with it cause they always won and competed for Championships.

Reactions: helixville

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Tom are you coming to the meet tonight?

Unfortunately not. I was planning to, but then I got assigned to ref an 8 am tournament on Saturday, so I decided that it was too much to attend the dual and ref Saturday morning.

• Sad
Reactions: Hlstone

Hlstone

Oct 11, 2021
Unfortunately not. I was planning to, but then I got assigned to ref an 8 am tournament on Saturday, so I decided that it was too much to attend the dual and ref Saturday morning.
Well enjoy the dual tonight and have fun reffing tomorrow my friend.

Latest posts