PSU MLAX 2024 Thread

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Please use this thread to discuss the PSU MLAX offseason, the 2024 preseason, in-season, postseason (B1Gs & NCAAs), and then offseason news about the team, former players, etc.

The 2023 MLAX Thread can be found at:

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
After the way the season ended in the NCAA semis for a B1G last year, this is how the B1G responds? smh

CS_2218

Nov 1, 2021
PSU coming in at #6 on the inaugural 2024 Terry Foy Pre-Season rankings, he named an O/U for each team, setting PSU's at 8.5 wins and taking the under:

"I’m going under because, like Cornell, just not a lot of cushion in this number for a team that has similar questions in the graduation of Jack Traynor and Jack Posey’s health returning from the injury he sustained vs. Army, as well as breaking in a freshman in Kyle Lehman. The Nittany Lions finished third in defensive efficiency in 2023, up from No. 32 in ’22. Is that degree of improvement sustainable, or is there a reversion to the mean in their future? Even if they slip to 10th, for a team that went 5-3 in one- or two-goal games, that might be enough to slip from 9-3 (which is hat they were last year) to 8-4, which would mean the under."

Personally, I think Lehman won't have any issues adapting to the D1 level, I had the chance to referee a few of his games last season and the kid can flat-out ball, there is a reason he was ranked as a 5-star. However, I do think it a fair point to make to monitor how Posey is coming off his injury and if a regression occurs in defensive efficiency...

Additionally, Matt Traynor was named as the #1 break-out candidate for Mens D1 ahead of the 2024 season by Inside Lacrosse's Kevin Brown:

"The best example of a potential breakout season has to go to Penn State’s Matt Traynor, who excelled as a go-to option coming out of the box as a freshman and is slated to replace his older brother, Jack, down low at attack. With 32 goals to his name, Traynor had the second-most goals as a midfielder in his very first year. His fearlessness getting to the front of the crease and underhand slingshots make him so difficult to cover."

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
They started slow last year and got better as the year went on. They have one of the best coaches in NCAA lacrosse and a lot of talent. They will figure it out. This will be motivation.

MacNit

Oct 12, 2021
They started slow last year and got better as the year went on. They have one of the best coaches in NCAA lacrosse and a lot of talent. They will figure it out. This will be motivation.
Hope so. Was there today and was stunned by how poorly they played…incredible amount of mental mistakes

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Hope so. Was there today and was stunned by how poorly they played…incredible amount of mental mistakes
I watched them do the same thing at Villanova last year. Although, Villanova was pretty good. I have no idea how good Colgate is, but Coach T will work out those mistakes.

Latest posts