PSU vs iowa

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
I'm guessing that the Haines decision has already been made, but both will weigh in and the public announcement will be made when one walks on the mat.

Reactions: LB4097

headlock

Oct 31, 2021
Finding it difficult to relax about this match. I want to settle back and enjoy it but feel so amped up, I can't. Clearly we should win but as always, anything can happen. I going to try to not think about it until Friday night although I know that is not possible. Hoping for the best, but still nervous!

viennalion

Dec 10, 2021
Ok, don't crush me for this as I'm admittedly a wrestling novice, but have really enjoyed following PSU wrestling since Cael arrived. I've been seeing and reading a lot about Lee possibly jumping up to 133 to take on RBY, as presumably Iowa feels their next best at 125 can beat Steen, but didn't see any discussion here (sorry if it was somewhere else). My questions are - how difficult a jump would this be for Lee to move up 8 pounds. To a layman who has never wrestled, it doesn't seem like much but at that weight it's probably very significant unless it just means Lee can wrestle at his more natural weight. What do you think the outcome would be, and is Iowa's backup at 125 good enough to get bonus points on Steen?

Sorry if this topic has been beaten to death elsewhere, but it's really interesting to me and seems like it would be a reasonable strategic move for Iowa if they think Lee can beat RBY and that would change the outcome of the dual.

Reactions: Hlstone

Sunshinedynomite 1

Oct 14, 2021
No way you’ll get crushed-

8 pounds would be a big jump.
Lee is really stinking good but so is RBY.

zero chance he will move till 133. Iowas 2nd best 125 is redshirting. If he wasn’t redshirting it could be possible. Steen should be able to beat anyone else in the Iowa room.

Bartlett is 14-0 this year @ 141 he struggled at 149 last year and he went into the season with the mindset of going 149.

8 pounds at 125 would be a huge jump but Lee maybe top 10 of all time but some could argue RBY is in the discussion for top 20 all time.

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021
Ok, don't crush me for this as I'm admittedly a wrestling novice, but have really enjoyed following PSU wrestling since Cael arrived. I've been seeing and reading a lot about Lee possibly jumping up to 133 to take on RBY, as presumably Iowa feels their next best at 125 can beat Steen, but didn't see any discussion here (sorry if it was somewhere else). My questions are - how difficult a jump would this be for Lee to move up 8 pounds. To a layman who has never wrestled, it doesn't seem like much but at that weight it's probably very significant unless it just means Lee can wrestle at his more natural weight. What do you think the outcome would be, and is Iowa's backup at 125 good enough to get bonus points on Steen?

Sorry if this topic has been beaten to death elsewhere, but it's really interesting to me and seems like it would be a reasonable strategic move for Iowa if they think Lee can beat RBY and that would change the outcome of the dual.
If I recall a few years ago a wrestler rated #1 went up to wrestle another #1 and it wasn't close. For some reason I think Rivera and Gross may have been involved. Not positive.

Reactions: Hlstone

Karl_Havok

Oct 6, 2021
This Spencer bumping up is a rumor that started on the Iowa board as a thought experiment. It’s not happening. These “journalists” are simply repeating some message board nonsense and I’ll bet it’s Pat Mineo spreading this.

Sunshinedynomite 1

Oct 14, 2021
If I recall a few years ago a wrestler rated #1 went up to wrestle another #1 and it wasn't close. For some reason I think Rivera and Gross may have been involved.
Seth Gross vs Meredith.
Gross was 33 moved up to 41 to wrestle Meredith

• Meredith is ranked No. 1 at 141 pounds and Gross No. 1 at 133. Their match — which Meredith won 4-2 — became an overnight sensation on social media throughout the college wrestling world and was still being talked about days after. This incredible third period scramble decides Gross-Meredith.

Last edited:

pabison

Dec 11, 2021
So why don’t we make the Haines decision easier? Start the match at 165 and see where things stand when we get to 157. If the match is locked up, put bearclaw out there. If we need a win, Haines it is.

I know it will never happen, but it would be a nice way to play it.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
So why don’t we make the Haines decision easier? Start the match at 165 and see where things stand when we get to 157. If the match is locked up, put bearclaw out there. If we need a win, Haines it is.

I know it will never happen, but it would be a nice way to play it.

college rules don't allow you to pick a weight to start a dual at, except for 125. Basically, if the 2 head coaches agree to start at 125, then that's where the dual starts. If they 2 head coaches can't agree, then a draw is done to determine what weight the dual starts at, meaning there is a 1 in 10 chance it would be at 157.

Edit: I got the above wrong. The coaches are not restricted to 125. From the NCAA rules:

"Immediately after the weigh-in for a dual meet or multiple dual meets conducted on the same day, coaches may mutually agree to determine the starting weight class for the matches."

Also, if they can't agree on a weight, then a draw is not held (that's what happens in high school). From the NCAA rules:

"If coaches cannot agree on the starting weight class, they will execute a coin toss. All dual meet team pairings that are at weigh-ins, and cannot agree on the starting weight class, shall complete the coin toss at weigh-ins for each dual meet held that day. The winner of the coin toss will have the choice to select either the starting weight class or the odd/even matches. Whichever selection is made by the coach who wins the coin toss, the opposing coach will receive the remaining option. The home team coach is responsible for notifying game management and the referee of each team's selection."

So if the two coaches agreed to 157, the dual could start at that weight. If not, then the coach that wins the coin toss gets to select the starting weight, unless they opt for the odd/even matches (basically, which weights each team gets the 1st choice in the 2nd period) which would mean the coach that loses the coin toss gets to select the starting weight.

Last edited:

pabison

Dec 11, 2021
college rules don't allow you to pick a weight to start a dual at, except for 125. Basically, if the 2 head coaches agree to start at 125, then that's where the dual starts. If they 2 head coaches can't agree, then a draw is done to determine what weight the dual starts at, meaning there is a 1 in 10 chance it would be at 157.
I got it. I was just doing pie in the sky stuff. Thanks for the refresher on that. I couldn’t remember exactly how that went.

Spinpsu

Dec 1, 2022
Major key to every match is our guys CAN NOT Ride to long. It cost us bonus points in a couple dual’s this year. Iowa guys at certain weights are gonna be told just don’t get turned ! Up to the Crowd to yell “Let em up”. They are not going to give up turns.

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021
Seth Gross vs Meredith.
Gross was 33 moved up to 41 to wrestle Meredith

• Meredith is ranked No. 1 at 141 pounds and Gross No. 1 at 133. Their match — which Meredith won 4-2 — became an overnight sensation on social media throughout the college wrestling world and was still being talked about days after. This incredible third period scramble decides Gross-Meredith.
When Rivera was ranked #1 at 125 he went up to 133 to wrestle #1 Micic and was handled pretty easily.

Bkmtnittany1

Oct 26, 2021
Any way we can get Cael to b* tch slap the Iowa coaches after we beat them by a dozen?

Spinpsu

Dec 1, 2022
Any color needed tonight…..blue or white or does not matter?
We have been saying WHITEOUT the BJC for this match. Hopefully will see something official from PSU today. I know my crew is wearing White like others. Should be a record crowd standing room only. Can't wait.

Reactions: Cyclingmike

Got GSPs

Oct 7, 2021
I turned on the TV and BTN has the biography on the Brands brothers. Just caught this golden nugget… “in contention for team titles every year. Nobody else has had a string like that”. Really, nobody else? Maybe somebody the wrestled at Iowa State and also coaches in the Big Ten conference?

Reactions: Brother3

Tryingtodoitright

Oct 12, 2021
I turned on the TV and BTN has the biography on the Brands brothers. Just caught this golden nugget… “in contention for team titles every year. Nobody else has had a string like that”. Really, nobody else? Maybe somebody the wrestled at Iowa State and also coaches in the Big Ten conference?
…Maybe the reference was to ‘twins’? 😉