PSU vs. Sacred Heart & Oregon State Dual Thread

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
285:
Kerk vs. Gary Traub

233.4 was the weight for Kerk at weigh-ins.

Per 1
Kerk in on a single, picks up the leg and trips Traub to the mat for the TD, 2-0. Good ride by Kirk, but he can't tilt him. End.

Per 2
Traub takes bottom. Kerk gets him titled, and gets swipes; 4 NF, 6-0. Traub fights off more damage. Kerk gets another tilt, and 4 more NF, 10-0. A ride out. End. 4:07 in RT for Kerk

Per 3
Kerk takes top. Kerk with another tilt, gets 2 NF, 12-0. Kerk tilts him again, gets 4 NF, making it a 16-0 TF @ 6:00

33-7, PSU

Potterlion

Oct 31, 2021
If you missed Byers, he indicated Dean had very late TD to win by 1 against Beard.

Yeah, that was interesting. Not really that surprising other than the fact that there were rumors that Beard was winning in the room and that it wasn't close. I'm more than happy with either one of them this season.

hohmadw1978

Oct 7, 2021
Any word on how banged up is Joe Lee at 157? What are our options at 157 if Joe Lee cannot wrestle for a while.

crockster

Oct 31, 2021
The team wrestled well and our talented starters wrestled well Nice ranked win for Beau!! A special shoutout to the 3 guys who generally are back ups, but wrestled their hearts out and put on a great ,gutty performance tonight, Shunk, Blummer, and Edsell. Shunk teched the SH wrestler 18-0 and then wrestled the OSU 29th ranked kid and never gave up after giving up 8 back pts in the 2nd period. He outwrestled the kid 2 of the 3 periods and after being down significantly,13-2,when it looked like a tech was coming, he never gave up. He outwrestled the kid in the 3rd,took him down multiple times and avoids even being majored. Gutty performance! Blummer is a back up 141/149 ,giving up size and weight, and wrestled 2 good kids. He wrestled the SH's NCAA qualifier match well , loses 7-3. He then wrestles the 15th ranked 157 fro OSU and avoids being teched by a truly gutty last minute performance. The kid scrapped! Edsell , who we have seen wrestle tough up weights 2 years ago won both of his matches and wrestled really well. He is talented and definitely was "next man up" tonight. Nice job to all 3!!

nerfstate

Oct 11, 2021
The team wrestled well and our talented starters wrestled well Nice ranked win for Beau!! A special shoutout to the 3 guys who generally are back ups, but wrestled their hearts out and put on a great ,gutty performance tonight, Shunk, Blummer, and Edsell. Shunk teched the SH wrestler 18-0 and then wrestled the OSU 29th ranked kid and never gave up after giving up 8 back pts in the 2nd period. He outwrestled the kid 2 of the 3 periods and after being down significantly,13-2,when it looked like a tech was coming, he never gave up. He outwrestled the kid in the 3rd,took him down multiple times and avoids even being majored. Gutty performance! Blummer is a back up 141/149 ,giving up size and weight, and wrestled 2 good kids. He wrestled the SH's NCAA qualifier match well , loses 7-3. He then wrestles the 15th ranked 157 fro OSU and avoids being teched by a truly gutty last minute performance. The kid scrapped! Edsell , who we have seen wrestle tough up weights 2 years ago won both of his matches and wrestled really well. He is talented and definitely was "next man up" tonight. Nice job to all 3!!
Seriously, those guys had me pumped up tonight as much as any of our studs.

Hulk

Oct 17, 2021
The team wrestled with heart and passion! I am also looking forward to seeing Beard, Manville and possibly Facundo at the Nook tomorrow!

Reactions: SRATH

86PSUPaul

Oct 11, 2021
Any word on how banged up is Joe Lee at 157? What are our options at 157 if Joe Lee cannot wrestle for a while.
HoosierLion said on the other board, and I believe JB confirmed, that he is just a little banged up and should be fine next week. JB also said Bearclaw was a bit under the weather, assuming he feels better he is the option after Joe. Plus Dunbar is redshirting, but always an option if needed to fill a long term hole.

jack66

Oct 31, 2021
Am I the only one surprised Edsell was next man up instead of Manville?

crockster

Oct 31, 2021
Mason Manville's career is a total mystery. A top 10 recruit who at times just disappears. Greco seems to be his thing. He is wrestling today at the Journeyman which will be his first matches since 2019. Perhaps hey just want to get him more matches than 2. Eselll is pretty solid and wrestled well up a couple weights in 2020.

crockster

Oct 31, 2021
Any thoughts on when we may see Facundo in the lineup?
To win a national championship , Facundo in the line up seems to be a must. Thought is would be a 50% chance to see him yesterday. Cael never rushes to put a true freshman on the mat and pull his redshirt. Maybe it depend on how well Manville or Edsell preform. In summary, nobody has a clue.

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
Any thoughts on when we may see Facundo in the lineup?
Probably not until the Collegiate Wrestling Duals in December, or maybe until B10 duals start in January.

We only have 5 duals before Christmas Break: the 2 yesterday, Army 11/18, Penn 12/3, Lehigh 12/5. There's not a lot of meat on those bones -- Army's starter is a freshman; Penn's has never qualified for nationals; Lehigh's did qualify last year but has a career losing record and no career quality wins.

(Army's Harkins may long-term be the best of that group -- he's a former National Preps champ at Malvern Prep. Still, that's just one match.)

In that time, Facundo could get in a lot of matches at Opens.

SonnyAbeFan

Oct 30, 2021
To win a national championship , Facundo in the line up seems to be a must. Thought is would be a 50% chance to see him yesterday. Cael never rushes to put a true freshman on the mat and pull his redshirt. Maybe it depend on how well Manville or Edsell preform. In summary, nobody has a clue.
One guy has a clue but he ain't talking. OK, maybe his brother and a couple buddies have a clue too, but they ain't talking either. And I don't think we can beat it out of them - they seem like tough guys. My meaningless opinion/guess is that there's no rush to run out Facundo. A redshirt would do him good. If he performs well at the Scuffle and the team needs him, I wouldn't be surprised to see him trade that red shirt for a blue singlet.

PSU Mike

Oct 6, 2021
Edsall presented well up at 174/184 in spot duty in the past, so not all that surprised knowing he can make 165.

SonnyAbeFan

Oct 30, 2021
Mason Manville's career is a total mystery. A top 10 recruit who at times just disappears. Greco seems to be his thing. He is wrestling today at the Journeyman which will be his first matches since 2019. Perhaps hey just want to get him more matches than 2. Eselll is pretty solid and wrestled well up a couple weights in 2020.
Unless I missed it or am overlooking something, I don't see Manville in the brackets at 165 (or 57 or 74 either)

crockster

Oct 31, 2021
One guy has a clue but he ain't talking. OK, maybe his brother and a couple buddies have a clue too, but they ain't talking either. And I don't think we can beat it out of them - they seem like tough guys. My meaningless opinion/guess is that there's no rush to run out Facundo. A redshirt would do him good. If he performs well at the Scuffle and the team needs him, I wouldn't be surprised to see him trade that red shirt for a blue singlet.
totally agree

Steelhead52

Sep 23, 2021
Sat next to the Dean family at the match. What a great family. It was so fun to talk to them about Max's journey to PSU. Took my Son and Grandsons to the match for their first time seeing PSU wrestling, What a wonderful time. It really got the boys pumped up for the start of their wrestling seasons. Obviously this team has a few holes to fill but man there were some really talented young men out there on display last night.

Potterlion

Oct 31, 2021
Like I said previously in this thread, you try to temper your enthusiasm and recognize that we wrestled Sacred Heart (poor) and Oregon State (mediocre). But, you have to like what we got from many/most of the wrestlers, even the backups to some degree. Dean seemed to be on a mission and even up a weight, you wonder if the new surroundings and coaches might not do him a world of good (and for the record, I'm still a "give me Beard" guy, but I can live with either Beard or Dean and think that both are dangerous). Kerk also may be healthy and have an entirely different mindset than a freshman who was coming back from a relatively serious injury and who never really got his feet under him last year. I don't know what Gary Traub is or was ranked, but I don't think he's chopped liver and Kerk ate his lunch. Sure, Kerkvliet was supposed to beat Traub, but he didn't just beat him, he embarrassed him.

Last edited:

VSA 19

Oct 17, 2021
285:
Kerk vs. Gary Traub

233.4 was the weight for Kerk at weigh-ins.

Per 1
Kerk in on a single, picks up the leg and trips Traub to the mat for the TD, 2-0. Good ride by Kirk, but he can't tilt him. End.

Per 2
Traub takes bottom. Kerk gets him titled, and gets swipes; 4 NF, 6-0. Traub fights off more damage. Kerk gets another tilt, and 4 more NF, 10-0. A ride out. End. 4:07 in RT for Kerk

Per 3
Kerk takes top. Kerk with another tilt, gets 2 NF, 12-0. Kerk tilts him again, gets 4 NF, making it a 16-0 TF @ 6:00

33-7, PSU
Kerk absolutely looked good and it was great to see him. I am surprised that his weight was 233. I thought he weighed more than that.

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
I don't know what Gary Traub is or was ranked, but I don't think he's chopped liver and Kerk ate his lunch. Sure, Kerkvliet was supposed to beat Traub, but he didn't just beat him, he embarrassed him.

Traub was good enough to capitalize when Seth Nevills got hobbled in the 2020 dual and win the match. But otherwise, there's a reason Tan Tom poached Orndorff -- Traub is very good depth on a top program, but as a starter he has a great nickname.

That said, he has given up little bonus since he won Ohio State's starting job in 2020: a major to Steveson and an injury default loss. Kerk smoked him 16-0.

Kerk is gonna be a real problem this year. The only guys capable of beating him are Steveson, Parris, Cass, and Schultz -- and not all of them will.

Oct 31, 2021
Traub was good enough to capitalize when Seth Nevills got hobbled in the 2020 dual and win the match. But otherwise, there's a reason Tan Tom poached Orndorff -- Traub is very good depth on a top program, but as a starter he has a great nickname.

That said, he has given up little bonus since he won Ohio State's starting job in 2020: a major to Steveson and an injury default loss. Kerk smoked him 16-0.

Kerk is gonna be a real problem this year. The only guys capable of beating him are Steveson, Parris, Cass, and Schultz -- and not all of them will.
That s the biggest , strongest 233.4 pound “Man” I ve ever seen! Lol. Jefe totally agree w your 285 Wght class assessment . Most ppl have no idea what a healthy Kerk can do. They r looking at last year! Amazing how he did w all that adversity! Then he beats Parris in Free. Anyone who overlooks Kerk does it at their own expense ! I like Kerk v any one. Go get em Kerk!

Reactions: Bosco2

crockster

Oct 31, 2021

Heavyweight is loaded this year. I cant to see how a healthy Kerk does against those 4 guys. I agree that we will beat some of them.He definitely will be better on the bottom and on his feet against these guys . He gave gutty performance at NCAAs last year after all his health issues and lack of training, He looks bigger and stronger this year. Dominated Traub, who I consider solid. Jordan Wood beat him 3-0

Reactions: NittanyChris

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
Heavyweight is loaded this year. I cant to see how a healthy Kerk does against those 4 guys. I agree that we will beat some of them.He definitely will be better on the bottom and on his feet against these guys . He gave gutty performance at NCAAs last year after all his health issues and lack of training, He looks bigger and stronger this year. Dominated Traub, who I consider solid. Jordan Wood beat him 3-0
I used to think Traub was solid too -- but look up his results on WrestleStat, esp Quality Matches. It's ugly. He'll likely qualify for nationals (especially with Traxler transferred to VT) but won't do much there.

In any case, the uncertainty with Kerk is on bottom. He'll be better than last year but enough to beat those guys deep into the NCAA tournament? (Bearing in mind that he's easily the lightest of those 5.) Would like to think so, but have no evidence yet. And notvsure we'll get any before he faces Parris on 1/21.

Reactions: LI Lion Bvdstf

crockster

Oct 31, 2021
I used to think Traub was solid too -- but look up his results on WrestleStat, esp Quality Matches. It's ugly. He'll likely qualify for nationals (especially with Traxler transferred to VT) but won't do much there.

In any case, the uncertainty with Kerk is on bottom. He'll be better than last year but enough to beat those guys deep into the NCAA tournament? (Bearing in mind that he's easily the lightest of those 5.) Would like to think so, but have no evidence yet. And notvsure we'll get any before he faces Parris on 1/21.
The bottom was certainly an issue. They would break him down and lay on him and the weight difference seem to be a factor It also could have been hhis conditioning. He would also shoot on a leg and they would put their weight on him and he flattened out and then got taken down. I know he has more talent than that showed . I thought he might come in around 240- 245 this year to offset that weight difference. Im sure he knows what he's doing. I guess we will find out how he does in January. Snyder beat Gwiz and he was smaller. Kerk definitely looks stronger and in great shapenthis year. That could make a diference.

Reactions: LI Lion Bvdstf

NittanyChris

Oct 12, 2021
The bottom was certainly an issue. They would break him down and lay on him and the weight difference seem to be a factor It also could have been hhis conditioning. He would also shoot on a leg and they would put their weight on him and he flattened out and then got taken down. I know he has more talent than that showed . I thought he might come in around 240- 245 this year to offset that weight difference. Im sure he knows what he's doing. I guess we will find out how he does in January. Snyder beat Gwiz and he was smaller. Kerk definitely looks stronger and in great shapenthis year. That could make a diference.
Any chance Kerk could put on 10 “good” pounds between now and March? Not sure if that’s even his goal, just wondering if 3.5 months is enough time to do that right, should he desire to do so.

Potterlion

Oct 31, 2021
I have no idea what Kerkvliet's situation is regarding adding weight, but obviously some guys just struggle to do so. Sure, if it was his only responsibility, he could eat at the training table all day and work out in the gym 6 hours a day and it would be possible, but he's got classes, wrestling practice, etc. and some guys just aren't set up physiologically to carry a lot of extra weight. That said, yeah, at 240-245, I really think he'd be hard for anyone to beat.

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
Any chance Kerk could put on 10 “good” pounds between now and March? Not sure if that’s even his goal, just wondering if 3.5 months is enough time to do that right, should he desire to do so.
That would be a good 6-mo offseason weight gain. In season? Conceivable but not likely.

Wrestling training is counter-productive to strength training recovery. Some gains can be made, but at that level would be unusual.

Reactions: NittanyChris