Reasonable Expectations for Basbeall

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
1) What are your reasonable expectations for Mississippi State baseball year in and year out?

2) Who have our good coaches been? Justify your expectations in 1 with their records.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I feel like this year results should be the minimum. Make the tournamemt make the sec tournament. Below that should get you fired. Especially two years in a row. Lemonis got grace because he won the natty. This year should be a low to low average year for us. Average should be a top 16 seed in tournament. Mid average to top should be top 8 seed. We have let Tennessee and Arkansas and now TAMU exceed us in sustained baseball success in the last 5 years granted none of them have won it all, but they current are having more appearances at the top of the SEC and in Omaha. I'm glad we had some improvement this year, but we still aren't where we need to be as a program given investment in baseball at msu.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2022
1) What are your reasonable expectations for Mississippi State baseball year in and year out?

2) Who have our good coaches been? Justify your expectations in 1 with their record

2) Who have our good coaches been? Justify your expectations in 1 with their records.
Your premise is blown out of the water due to NIL.
Never more can you compare past history with present results due to that fact alone.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
If our SEC tournament play with any education, we will have good pitching, but we won't be able to hit our way out of the wet paper sack. Good night.

Reactions: Anon1665155225

DawgieDust

Nov 6, 2017
I feel like this year results should be the minimum. Make the tournamemt make the sec tournament. Below that should get you fired. Especially two years in a row. Lemonis got grace because he won the natty. This year should be a low to low average year for us. Average should be a top 16 seed in tournament. Too average to top should be top 8 seed. We have let Tennessee and Arkansas and now TAMU exceed us in sustained baseball success in the last 5 years granted none of them have won it all, but they current are having more appearances at the top of the SEC and in Omaha. I'm glad we had some improvement this year, but we still aren't where we need to be as a program given investment in baseball at msu.
Yes, this year is a minimum for sure. Make the SEC tournament and go on the road as a #2 seed. We hit our low bar this year. We really pissed aways some games this year.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Make NCAA tournament at least 80% of the time. Never miss 2 years in a row. Host & win a regional at least 40% of the time. Host a super-regional and make CWS at least 20% of the time. This year is the bare minimum standard for Mississippi State.

Last edited:

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Over a 10 year period:
8-9 regional births
4 of those hosts
with current criteria to make Hoover—- Miss Hoover 0 times
0 just plain awful years
1-2 trips to Omaha

Reactions: GloryDawg

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
After your first criteria, that ls very low expectations
Not low just reasonable. We went thru a 6 year period that drastically blew our expectations out of the water. It was unreasonable to continue to expect that.. and it spoiled some of our fan base.

being consistently in the post season, always being in Hoover, never completely sucking, hosting every other year, making a run Omaha every 4-5 years…. Isn’t low… it’s top notch

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
Not low just reasonable. We went thru a 6 year period that drastically blew our expectations out of the water. It was unreasonable to continue to expect that.. and it spoiled some of our fan base.

being consistently in the post season, always being in Hoover, never completely sucking, hosting every other year, making a run Omaha every 4-5 years…. Isn’t low… it’s top notch
It's low. TN was a crap team five years ago. Do you think the expectations you laid out are their expectations now? Same for tAm. What do you think LSU's expectations are? Vandy? Arkansas? Expectations are what separate winners from losers. You'll never get something you don't expect to get.

Reactions: thekimmer

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
It's low. TN was a crap team five years ago. Do you think the expectations you laid out are their expectations now? Same for tAm. What do you think LSU's expectations are? Vandy? Arkansas? Expectations are what separate winners from losers. You'll never get something you don't expect to get.
Well I don’t see your expectations. What do you consider reasonable.

tenn and Texas am have two of the best coaches in the country that just raised their bar.

These expectations are on par with what vandy with the exception of Corbin isn’t going to have a bad year… keep in mind vandy had some advantages no one else has to boost their expectations… those are evening out a tad due to nil

you can’t compare us or anyone to lsu. They are on a different level

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
Well I don’t see your expectations. What do you consider reasonable.

tenn and Texas am have two of the best coaches in the country that just raised their bar.

These expectations are on par with what vandy with the exception of Corbin isn’t going to have a bad year… keep in mind vandy had some advantages no one else has to boost their expectations… those are evening out a tad due to nil

you can’t compare us or anyone to lsu. They are on a different level
Thank you for making my point. Low expectations.

Reactions: HuntDawg

Beretta.sixpack

Oct 29, 2009
two bad seasons in a row

my expectations for this year were one of two things at minimum 1) Host a regional 2) Make it to a Super regional

given how bad we are coached on the small things, and the last two seasons, Ill be out on Lemonis (already halfway there) if we don't make it to a Super.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
NIL is making lots more teams viable. It is harder now than ever before to win. Expectations?

People still that think State should be hosting every year or national seed level once every few years are living in the past. NIL & Portal can make a team good that never cared and there are lots of teams spending $$$ to be better.

I expect a competitive team but not another national seed level until the recruiting improves. Losing so many NIL battles for players make us a middle of the pack SEC team year in and year out, nothing more.
A middle of the pack SEC team can win it all in baseball but it is not expected.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
This year was the minimum after two unacceptable years. Next year is a rebuild, so I wouldn't expect big things.

patdog

May 28, 2007
NIL is making lots more teams viable. It is harder now than ever before to win. Expectations?

People still that think State should be hosting every year or national seed level once every few years are living in the past. NIL & Portal can make a team good that never cared and there are lots of teams spending $$$ to be better.

I expect a competitive team but not another national seed level until the recruiting improves. Losing so many NIL battles for players make us a middle of the pack SEC team year in and year out, nothing more.
A middle of the pack SEC team can win it all in baseball but it is not expected.
Oh please. If anything NIL gives State MORE of an advantage over most schools.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

It SHOULD make US more viable. But we aren’t recruiting the right type of players.

Reactions: patdog

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
But but we got tradition and a ballpark… matters little when it comes to getting paid. I thought we would dominate in Nil due to our large fan base but no; We lost way too many battles for guys over $$.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
look at who is getting the players. It ain’t us.
Follow the money
We’ve have lost the top portal talent battles year after year. I dont think our nil is as strong as some think. But it’s still good.

I think the major fault we have is thinking the dude and our environment is the thing kids want to come play at/for etc. it definitely affects the Mississippi kids… but not to kids outside of Mississippi it’s not as big of a factor as we wish it was

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
My expectations went out the window with the new direction of "professional" college sports. Now that schools will be paying players directly who knows what will happen? NIL, school funding, and under the table bagmen are ruining college sports.

My biggest question going forward is how many fans will leave college sports now that they are no longer amateur. How many sports will survive?

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I feel like this year results should be the minimum. Make the tournamemt make the sec tournament. Below that should get you fired. Especially two years in a row. Lemonis got grace because he won the natty. This year should be a low to low average year for us. Average should be a top 16 seed in tournament. Too average to top should be top 8 seed. We have let Tennessee and Arkansas and now TAMU exceed us in sustained baseball success in the last 5 years granted none of them have won it all, but they current are having more appearances at the top of the SEC and in Omaha. I'm glad we had some improvement this year, but we still aren't where we need to be as a program given investment in baseball at msu.
So would you trade the last 5 years with TN, Arkansas or A&M?

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
My expectations are about 75% of LSU’s. Over the last 10 years, LSU has:

1 national championship
1 runner up
4 CWS appearances
2 regular season SEC titles
10 regional appearances
6 regional hosts
7 Super Regionals

Multiply all that by 60% - 75% and that’s about where I am for MSU.

Last edited:

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
look at who is getting the players. It ain’t us.
Follow the money
Our classes are highly ranked and our players have the accolades. Yet, something still isn’t quite right. Hmmmm

Our transfers are fine too. Yeah we didn’t land truly big fish but there aren’t many of those. Programs are still built through regular recruiting.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Our classes are highly ranked and our players have the accolades. Yet, something still isn’t quite right. Hmmmm

Our transfers are fine too. Yeah we didn’t land truly big fish but there aren’t many of those. Programs are still built through regular recruiting.
Tell lsu Florida Texas am and tennessee that.

got to land the big portal fish we can’t.

Ask yourself where we would be without Stephen. That’s how important the portal is and we’ve missed more than we’ve hit.. and we’ve never landed a big one let alone the most sought after ones

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Tell lsu Florida Texas am and tennessee that.

got to land the big portal fish we can’t.

Ask yourself where we would be without Stephen. That’s how important the portal is and we’ve missed more than we’ve hit.. and we’ve never landed a big one let alone the most sought after ones
You have a reading comprehension problem.

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008
Since the format change in 1999, we have:
Made regionals 67% of the time
Made supers 42% of the time
Made Omaha 21% of the time

2011-2021 spoiled us. In 10 completed seasons we made 9 regionals, 7 super regionals and 4 trips to Omaha. That’s elite level stuff.
Add in 22-23 and you’ve got 75% of the time making the tournament, 58% of the time making supers, and 33% of the time making Omaha. That’s probably a pretty good goal as a program, honestly- but it’s well above our historical results.

Reactions: 3dawgnight

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
We should be a #1 Regional seed 60% of the time. That's inclusive of a 1-8 or 9-16. That's it.
Historically its been 25-30% of the time….and that was before we were put at a disadvantage by NIL. I’ll never figure out where the “should host more often than not” crowd derives their expectations from.

That’s not saying you can’t expect more than what we’ve done historically, but literally double the historical average is pushing it.

MaxwellSmart

May 28, 2007
Minimum should be the SEC tournament every year. Make a regional 4 out of 5 years and host the majority of those. At least 1 trip to Omaha every 4 or 5 years. I know that's wishful thinking but probably would have been pretty easy if Cohen hadn't **** the bed with Schlossnagle

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
My expectations are about 75% of LSU’s. Over the last 10 years, LSU has:

1 national championship
1 runner up
4 CWS appearances
2 regular season SEC titles
10 regional appearances
6 regional hosts
7 Super Regionals

Multiply all that by 60% - 75% and that’s about where I am for MSU.
I think that’s fair. LSU is a great baseline to reference, because they are the most prestigious and advantaged program in all of college baseball…..by a country mile.

So, anyone that finds that their expectations for MSU baseball are equal to or more than what LSU has done certainly has a problem living in the real world, and will do nothing but constantly set themselves up for disappointment.

Unfortunately, we have quite a few in our fanbase that live in that fantasy land. We all know who they are….the same ones who got quickly tired of Mullen and Leach, the ones who were tired of Stansbury for 10+ years before his demise, the ones who constantly dogged Cohen for his entire tenure as a baseball coach. Those people will simply never be happy.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I think the major fault we have is thinking the dude and our environment is the thing kids want to come play at/for etc. it definitely affects the Mississippi kids… but not to kids outside of Mississippi it’s not as big of a factor as we wish it was
You are stupid.

patdog

May 28, 2007
If there’s one thing our fans are best in the world at, it’s having an overinflated opinion of our stadium. I mean yeah, it’s nice. Really nice. But there’s got to be more to your baseball program than your stadium. And too many of our fans (and coaches) hsve been fat & happy the last few years.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Even if you look at this, we should not expect much anymore. Honestly recruiting is changed. It's now a dollar and cents battle between schools instead of pitching your what program has done previously, the support they have and what they are doing to keeping the program up to date with great facilities, while you are trying to convince them that this is the place to go if you wanna play in a good program.

Unfortunately... Those days are gone. It's mostly about checkbooks and the players bank statement today.

ETA - I forgot, unless of course you have exceptional coaching that can improve players and find the potential that they have. We have developed some pitching this year and have previously.

Last edited:

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
If there’s one thing our fans are best in the world at, it’s having an overinflated opinion of our stadium. I mean yeah, it’s nice. Really nice. But there’s got to be more to your baseball program than your stadium. And too many of our fans (and coaches) hsve been fat & happy the last few years.
Stadium alone, and you may be right. But we’ve also got great fan support, even in the losing seasons (at least since Cohen rebuilt the program). So you’re off base in your assumption that our fans think in terms of only the stadium. It’s overall investment. And it attracts people, there are kids all over Wesr TN and north AL that are choosing MSU due to the spring atmosphere surrounding Starkville, mainly revolving around baseball.

It’s very easy to see how many of you come to games and who doesn’t. Our support of the program (and history, of course) is our ONLY advantage. That’s what attracts players and coaches.