Remember when SEC fans said Tier 2 Debust could not recruit

Chuck Nasty

Aug 20, 2021
Tbf nobody said bama would never land good players. What they questioned was if Deboer could be elite in that area the way Saban and Kirby are, and until he closes with a top 1-2 class the question mark still remains. He showed nothing to suggest heā€™s a great recruiter at Washington and hasnā€™t run or really been associated with one of these recruiting factory southern programs before. But Iā€™m sure weā€™ll get more of these cries for validation with every commitment lol

Motley Tide

Sep 12, 2022
Tbf nobody said bama would never land good players. What they questioned was if Deboer could be elite in that area the way Saban and Kirby are, and until he closes with a top 1-2 class the question mark still remains. He showed nothing to suggest heā€™s a great recruiter at Washington and hasnā€™t run or really been associated with one of these recruiting factory southern programs before. But Iā€™m sure weā€™ll get more of these cries for validation with every commitment lol

Yet he has as many projected 1st round draft picks from Wash this year as 4th and Kirby does

• Haha
Reactions: Bigwilly64

Bigwilly64

Apr 28, 2023
You have to have a top 1-2 class to be considered ā€œeliteā€? Thatā€™s a small group. Fire DeBoer if he canā€™t reach that standard IYAM.

UGA03MAIN

Feb 23, 2022
Well, Tier 2 has Bama willy at practice...at this point, it doesn't matter who he gets there. Guy will have 3 to 4 losses this year

• Haha
Reactions: MattUGA1

Chuck Nasty

Aug 20, 2021
Seems to be a ridiculous standard, but go ahead with it. Aaron Donald is elite. All other DL are average. Patrick Mahomes is elite. All other QBs are average. Etc.
I mean, this is the Bama job following Saban. Of course itā€™s a high standard. Continuation of that kind of sustained dominance is going to require elite recruiting, at least it always has in the SEC.

MattUGA1

May 1, 2023
I mean, this is the Bama job following Saban. Of course itā€™s a high standard. Continuation of that kind of sustained dominance is going to require elite recruiting, at least it always has in the SEC.
I said this a few weeks back when UGA Willy brought up this topic. Bama recruits itself to where finishing top 6 to 10 is almost automatic. The bench mark is Saban didn't have a class finish worse than 5 or 6 I believe. And finished top 2 or 3 every other year.

Bigwilly64

Apr 28, 2023
I donā€™t disagreeā€¦..just disagree with the premise that you have to be #1 or 2 to be elite.

Bigwilly64

Apr 28, 2023
I said this a few weeks back when UGA Willy brought up this topic. Bama recruits itself to where finishing top 6 to 10 is almost automatic. The bench mark is Saban didn't have a class finish worse than 5 or 6 I believe. And finished top 2 or 3 every other year.
Here is what you fellas arenā€™t graspingā€¦.the rules of recruiting have changed significantly over the last few years. You can be an ā€œeliteā€ recruiter and still miss on your top guys because of $$$. Conversely, you can be a sh*tty recruiter but land top guys with NIL. The emphasis you guys are putting on the ability to recruit isnā€™t the same as it used to be.

Motley Tide

Sep 12, 2022
#6 in the country with only 10 commits is pretty strong for a new HC at this stage. Still strong in the SEC footprint with guys and players from Cali, Maryland and New Jersey as well.

Chuck Nasty

Aug 20, 2021
I donā€™t disagreeā€¦..just disagree with the premise that you have to be #1 or 2 to be elite.
It turns into a significant talent gap being in the 6-12 range vs 1-3 range aggregated over 4 years. We saw it directly with Richt vs Kirby at UGA. That's not to say you can't get a special group once in a while where everything comes together being in that range, it's more evident when looking at sustaining things for a longer period

Chuck Nasty

Aug 20, 2021
Here is what you fellas arenā€™t graspingā€¦.the rules of recruiting have changed significantly over the last few years. You can be an ā€œeliteā€ recruiter and still miss on your top guys because of $$$. Conversely, you can be a sh*tty recruiter but land top guys with NIL. The emphasis you guys are putting on the ability to recruit isnā€™t the same as it used to be.
It averages out imo. Recruiting is a numbers game. I'd argue putting your eggs in one basket and getting outbid now hurts a lot more than just having a much larger pool to draw from with elite recruiting. And for the player you really prioritize, if the bids are close, the relationships still win out.

Just look at the top 3 classes last cycle. Kirby, Saban, Day... despite NIL

Last edited:

Bigwilly64

Apr 28, 2023
Well, Tier 2 has Bama willy at practice...at this point, it doesn't matter who he gets there. Guy will have 3 to 4 losses this year
Oh boy if Georgia doesnā€™t win that game in Septemberā€¦..

Last edited:

Bigwilly64

Apr 28, 2023
It turns into a significant talent gap being in the 6-12 range vs 1-3 range aggregated over 4 years. We saw it directly with Richt vs Kirby at UGA. That's not to say you can't get a special group once in a while where everything comes together being in that range, it's more evident when looking at sustaining things for a longer period
What about 3-6?

Bigwilly64

Apr 28, 2023
It averages out imo. Recruiting is a numbers game. I'd argue putting your eggs in one basket and getting outbid now hurts a lot more than just having a much larger pool to draw from with elite recruiting. And for the player you really prioritize, if the bids are close, the relationships still win out.

Just look at the top 3 classes last cycle. Kirby, Saban, Day... despite NIL
ā€œDespite NILā€ when everyone knows the bags that tOSU was throwing outā€¦..

The ability to just outrecruit others and stack the deck in your favor isnā€™t what it used to be. Xs and Os will be much more important going forward than it ever has been.

Chuck Nasty

Aug 20, 2021
ā€œDespite NILā€ when everyone knows the bags that tOSU was throwing outā€¦..

The ability to just outrecruit others and stack the deck in your favor isnā€™t what it used to be. Xs and Os will be much more important going forward than it ever has been.
Since Urban Ohio State has lived in the top 5. Day has continued that. Everyone is throwing bags around

Chuck Nasty

Aug 20, 2021
What about 3-6?
In years where hitting 3 means a 300+ composite class i'd call it elite. More of those than not you're in good shape, but even that merely as a ceiling will be a noticeable step down to what Saban has brought in. I think you Bama guys are so spoiled you're just used to what you've been getting

Last edited:

Bigwilly64

Apr 28, 2023
In years where hitting 3 means a 300+ composite class i'd call it elite. More of those than not you're in good shape, but even that merely as a ceiling will be a noticeable step down to what Saban has brought in. I think you Bama guys are so spoiled you're just used to what you've been getting
This is an odd hill to die on considering Alabama is currently ranked higher than UGA in recruiting. Instead of letting things play out, UGA fans are painting themselves in a corner. Weird.

Chuck Nasty

Aug 20, 2021
Right, which means simply ā€œbeing a great recruiterā€ isnā€™t enough.
no it means if everyone is throwing bags around, over the course of an entire class the difference will still be in recruiting

btw throwing bags around isn't new either

Last edited:

Chuck Nasty

Aug 20, 2021
This is an odd hill to die on considering Alabama is currently ranked higher than UGA in recruiting. Instead of letting things play out, UGA fans are painting themselves in a corner. Weird.
It's April Willy, i know you're not new to recruiting

If yall finish in the top 3 with a 300+ composite class, UGA fans as well as everyone else will stfu about Deboer's recruiting. It's that simple

Bigwilly64

Apr 28, 2023
no it means if everyone is throwing bags around, over the course of an entire class the difference will still be in recruiting

btw throwing bags around isn't new either
You are making the assumption that there is a salary cap. Surely you donā€™t truly believe that.

Bigwilly64

Apr 28, 2023
It's April Willy, i know you're not new to recruiting

If yall finish in the top 3 with a 300+ composite class, UGA fans as well as everyone else will stfu about Deboer's recruiting. It's that simple
I am aware of the month. Iā€™m also aware that DeBoer has been on the job for less than 3 months, and UGA fans as well as everyone else probably didnā€™t think that he would recruit as well as he has so far. It is ok to admit it, but I doubt we get that.

Chuck Nasty

Aug 20, 2021
I am aware of the month. Iā€™m also aware that DeBoer has been on the job for less than 3 months, and UGA fans as well as everyone else probably didnā€™t think that he would recruit as well as he has so far. It is ok to admit it, but I doubt we get that.
I think everyone is still in wait and see mode because again it's April. I'm not sure why you need the validation at this point other than it being an inner insecurity you're battling

KoreyDawg

Jan 31, 2022
I couldnā€™t agree more, well stated William

Reactions: Bigwilly64

Bigwilly64

Apr 28, 2023
No there's no salary cap, not sure where I implied that
ā€œEverybody pays so it will still come down to recruitingā€ā€¦.that would mean something if everyone had the same budget, but we all know they donā€™t.

Bigwilly64

Apr 28, 2023
I think everyone is still in wait and see mode because again it's April. I'm not sure why you need the validation at this point other than it being an inner insecurity you're battling
I donā€™t need any validation, but will take every chance I get to throw it back at UGA fans. You guys have been like kids at Disneyland since Saban retired. It has been hilarious to watch.

Latest posts