Rose Bowl?

NittanyDoc

Nov 1, 2021
I just realized with the MSU loss that if we win out and Osu wins out we could go to the Rose Bowl. Osu would be in the playoffs. No one else in the big ten would have less than 3 losses. We would have wins against wisco,msu, Michigan. I think we could be in at that point. Thoughts? Thanks
(new member but long time Psu fan/alumn)

PSU86

Oct 25, 2021
I just realized with the MSU loss that if we win out and Osu wins out we could go to the Rose Bowl. Osu would be in the playoffs. No one else in the big ten would have less than 3 losses. We would have wins against wisco,msu, Michigan. I think we could be in at that point. Thoughts? Thanks

Ram20

Oct 25, 2021
I dont think the team that played Maryland beats the 2 Michigan schools. I think we need to improve this week to beat Michigan. We are sort of a team that can win against a lot of teams or lose to bad teams. The good thing about the game yesterday is that Franklin and his players seemed happy after the win, we seem to play far better coming off of wins than we do losses.

Reactions: oldpsubear

Jtllion

Oct 31, 2021
I believe you are correct, I don’t think they would take the team Ohio state beats in big ten championship game

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
No. The big champ loser goes to the rose bowl. We were better than Wisconsin and they went to rose bowl and we didn’t.
I’d say the only possible way a West division team that loses the Champ game is in the Rose Bowl is if Iowa wins their last 3 regular season games, and things break right for them in the East with the winner going to the playoff and everyone else having at least 3 losses. And even then, it isn’t a lock.

NittPicker

Oct 7, 2021
There's no guarantee of OSU going to the playoff if they win out. If Oregon wins out they'll be in over OSU because of the head-to-head. If Alabama wins out they'll be in as will Georgia if their only loss is to Alabama in the CCG. That leaves one spot which will go to Oklahoma if they win out.

That's a lot of ifs but Ohio State needs some help if they want to be invited to the tournament.

cyrizzle

Oct 25, 2021
There's no guarantee of OSU going to the playoff if they win out. If Oregon wins out they'll be in over OSU because of the head-to-head. If Alabama wins out they'll be in as will Georgia if their only loss is to Alabama in the CCG. That leaves one spot which will go to Oklahoma if they win out.

That's a lot of ifs but Ohio State needs some help if they want to be invited to the tournament.
I disagree. OSU is already ranked ahead of Oklahoma (as they should be), and an undefeated Oklahoma will need help to get in due to their extremely weak schedule, not OSU.

PSU_Drew

Oct 25, 2021

Ohio State has to take care of their own business as well, and with remaining games against Purdue, MSU and Michigan...

I think OSU is still the team to beat in the B1G, but this year they look a little more beatable.

Last edited:

Mufasa94

Oct 12, 2021
None of the above is guaranteed. If SOS is considered more important, tOSU should jump Oregon eventually. If a conference championship is given more weight, UGA could be in trouble.

One thing though, OU is in if they finish unbeaten.

NittPicker

Oct 7, 2021
None of the above is guaranteed. If SOS is considered more important, tOSU should jump Oregon eventually. If a conference championship is given more weight, UGA could be in trouble.

Yes. That's why my post included the qualifier "that's a lot of ifs".

Mufasa94

Oct 12, 2021
Yes. That's why my post included the qualifier "that's a lot of ifs".
The results of the games falls under those if qualifiers, but the results of the comparative ranking as they relate to tOSU are stated definitively.

That may not be the way you intended.

lions1995

Oct 29, 2021
If this scenario works out, I still believe the West team OSU beats in the championship game goes to the Rose Bowl.

Whart

Oct 8, 2021

OU must still visit OKST in Stillwater and beat a top ten ranked defense…OKST. Yes….believe it or not OKST is winning with defense this year. They visited WVU this past weekend and kicked their arse defensively. They literally shut WVU offense down….3 points scored . Early in the season OKST was banged up on offense with several injuries and lost several skill guys to the NFL. At 7-1 they are finally in good shape and the injured kids are back playing. Several true freshman got valuable playing time and portends well for not just this back stretch but should help next season etc.

marshall23

Oct 7, 2021
Who cares if they go to the Rose Bowl? Not me. I've been there. It's a dump.

djmccaslin

Nov 1, 2021
Lots of folks care. I'm sure the players certainly care. I've been to the Rose Bowl plenty of times and it is old but there is tradition to it. If you don't care, don't go but there are lots of folks who care.

Reactions: Fortheglory612

djmccaslin

Nov 1, 2021
No. The big champ loser goes to the rose bowl. We were better than Wisconsin and they went to rose bowl and we didn’t.
The loser of the B10 game doesn't always go but yes, it happened in 2019 though Wisconsin and PSU both finished 10-2 and there is some belief that a loss in a conference champ game shouldn't knock you down too far. Also, if memory serves Joel Klatt who was calling the game spent a good portion of the telecast campaigning Wisconsin to go to the Rose Bowl. Also, Wisconsin gave OSU the toughest game.

PineIslandLion

Nov 1, 2021
If this scenario works out, I still believe the West team OSU beats in the championship game goes to the Rose Bowl.
While this happened in 2019, it’s not a given (that loser of Big 10 title games goes Rose Bowl, if winner in CFP). I personally think it’s going to be Wiscy who represents the West and if they lose to OSU (especially if it’s not close), could absolutely see PSU getting Rose Bowl bid given Wiscy would have 4 losses, including loss to PSU.

PineIslandLion

Nov 1, 2021
Don’t kid yourself, would be a huge deal to the team. I’ve also been there (all 3 times PSU there) plus 11 other bowl games (including all the majors). While I recognize the stadium has some deficiencies, it’s absolutely at the top of my list for bowl venues.

djmccaslin

Nov 1, 2021
While this happened in 2019, it’s not a given (that loser of Big 10 title games goes Rose Bowl, if winner in CFP). I personally think it’s going to be Wiscy who represents the West and if they lose to OSU (especially if it’s not close), could absolutely see PSU getting Rose Bowl bid given Wiscy would have 4 losses, including loss to PSU.
Agreed IF (big IF) that happens. If we beat Mich and MSU (and Rutgers) AND OSU wins out, Iowa would still loom as a possibility. If Wisconsin and Iowa win out, Wisconsin will be 9-3 and Iowa 10-2, Wisconsin gets to B10 champ game with tiebreaker. Let's say they lose and finish 9-4. Yes, between PSU and Wisconsin - PSU should go with their h2h win. But you've also got an Iowa who'd be a a game better than us and have the h2h win.

The counter argument to Iowa is that IF we were to win out, we'd have wins over Auburn, Wisconsin, MSU, and Michigan--while Iowa would have wins over us and Iowa State (who could win out and be 9-3 and possibly in B12 champ game). Our resume would be better but 1 less loss and h2h would probably mean more to CFP.

marshall23

Oct 7, 2021
Lots of folks care. I'm sure the players certainly care. I've been to the Rose Bowl plenty of times and it is old but there is tradition to it. If you don't care, don't go but there are lots of folks who care.
Been there and I don't care to go back. I can't see where the current players care about the tradition. I'd rather go to the Cotton Bowl any time.

djmccaslin

Nov 1, 2021
Been there and I don't care to go back. I can't see where the current players care about the tradition. I'd rather go to the Cotton Bowl any time.
Sounds like your opinion is based solely on your comfort and stadium's modern offerings. By that rationale, I guess the Las Vegas Bowl or Los Angeles Bowl (in Sofi Stadium) will rank higher to you.

Went to the Cotton Bowl in 2019 and it was nice but the level of excitement in 2016 for the Rose Bowl was completely different. There wasn't nearly as many PSU fans for the Cotton Bowl as there were for the Rose Bowl. I can remember plenty of fans on the original BWI board griping about the Cotton Bowl berth and claiming they rather be in the Citrus or Outback Bowl.

I guarantee if you ask the players where the Rose Bowl ranks in terms of where to play -- they will rank it higher than the Cotton.

marshall23

Oct 7, 2021
Sounds like your opinion is based solely on your comfort and stadium's modern offerings. By that rationale, I guess the Las Vegas Bowl or Los Angeles Bowl (in Sofi Stadium) will rank higher to you.

Went to the Cotton Bowl in 2019 and it was nice but the level of excitement in 2016 for the Rose Bowl was completely different. There wasn't nearly as many PSU fans for the Cotton Bowl as there were for the Rose Bowl. I can remember plenty of fans on the original BWI board griping about the Cotton Bowl berth and claiming they rather be in the Citrus or Outback Bowl.

I guarantee if you ask the players where the Rose Bowl ranks in terms of where to play -- they will rank it higher than the Cotton.
I was at both bowl games as well. I doubt either of us will see a season that exceeded expectations like 2016. It was the winning streak. as well as the Big Ten Championship that created the excitement. Not the outdated venue. That being said, I'll stick with my opinion that the Rose Bowl is a relic from another era.

PineIslandLion

Nov 1, 2021

100% in agreement with you. I was also at the Cotton Bowl and while the stadium is crazy nice and plush (especially in the club section, where my seats were), I’d take the Rose Bowl for overall experience any day of the week.