RPI Question

Awwhellnaw

Jun 29, 2017
A lot people wanting to cancel this game tonight due to the effect it would have on our RPI and chances of hosting. I'm slightly familiar with how RPI works but by no means an expert..

My question is, even if we were to cancel the North Alabama game tonight, wouldn't the three games this weekend against Missouri still potentially pull us out the being a "hosting bubble team"? Missouri is currently #104 in RPI. I understand the NA game hurts our RPI even more but does it make that much of a difference? Maybe so since they are sitting at #280.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
A lot people wanting to cancel this game tonight due to the effect it would have on our RPI and chances of hosting. I'm slightly familiar with how RPI works but by no means an expert..

My question is, even if we were to cancel the North Alabama game tonight, wouldn't the three games this weekend against Missouri still potentially pull us out the being a "hosting bubble team"? Missouri is currently #104 in RPI. I understand the NA game hurts our RPI even more but does it make that much of a difference? Maybe so since they are sitting at #280.
Beating Mizzou wouldn’t really hurt us but it wouldn’t help either. It only becomes a clear problem if we drop a game or two.

Bad is bad but there is a big difference in 104 vs 280. They’re also the fact that we don’t really have a choice with playing Mizzou, but we did with UNA.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
Losing to Missouri three times would drop us 10-12 spots. Winning 2/3 pretty much keeps us where we are.
Beating North Alabama could drop us 5-6 spots.

That's the difference.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
My question is, even if we were to cancel the North Alabama game tonight, wouldn't the three games this weekend against Missouri still potentially pull us out the being a "hosting bubble team"?
We're not a "bubble" hosting team, we a locked in hosting team as long as we win 3 of the next 4. A couple wins in the tourney will move us up a couple of seeds.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
We're not a "bubble" hosting team, we a locked in hosting team as long as we win 3 of the next 4. A couple wins in the tourney will move us up a couple of seeds.
I think that’s a little aggressive too. We are very much on the host bubble and 3-1 this week may not be enough depending on some other results, largely in the ACC and PAC 12. Sweeping this week is the only way you don’t go into Hoover with a lot of uncertainty still.

patdog

May 28, 2007
RPI is 16 currently and projected to be 19 even if we go 4-0. That's pretty much the definition of a bubble hosting team. I think we're on the right side of the bubble in that situation, but it's close.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Losing to Missouri three times would drop us 10-12 spots. Winning 2/3 pretty much keeps us where we are.
Beating North Alabama could drop us 5-6 spots.

That's the difference.

Well, we dropped two spots beating North Alabama. From 16 to 18.

Santa Barbara went from 18 to 15 with a win. So it's likely the North Al game only dropped us one spot in the rankings. CSB would've passed us whether we played or not.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
So, did Southern beating OM last night help our RPI or did OM losing to Southern hurt our RPI? For the record, if it hurt us, it was worth it.

• Haha

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
So, did Southern beating OM last night help our RPI or did OM losing to Southern hurt our RPI? For the record, if it hurt us, it was worth it.
Hurt. We played OM 3 times and USM once. The biggest issue with UNA vs Mizzou is their opponents record is going to be far worse.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Hurt. And winning 2/3 won’t keep us par rpi wise. It’ll drop our rpi.

This weekend with a sweep we may garner enough rpi points to move up 1 spot without any other games effecting us.

Going 2-1 to a quad 4 team, will cost us rpi wise.

3-0 and it makes it really tough for someone to jump us.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Hurt. And winning 2/3 won’t keep us par rpi wise. It’ll drop our rpi.

This weekend with a sweep we may garner enough rpi points to move up 1 spot without any other games effecting us.

Going 2-1 to a quad 4 team, will cost us rpi wise.

3-0 and it makes it really tough for someone to jump us.
This is all you need to know about this weekend. Sweep and we're probably no worse than #18, may move up a spot or two (we're actually virtually tied for 17th with Oklahoma St. right now - the difference is less than 1 point). Go 2-1 and Warren Nolan predicts our RPI at #21, probably not good enough to host without a couple of wins in the SECT.

Reactions: HuntDawg

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
the hangover GIF

this is what I imagine all of you RPI prognosticators look like

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
How is UCSB higher than State in the RPI?

Screenshot 2024-05-15 at 2.29.06 PM.png

Someone make the non-con numbers make sense, not to mention the difference between the SEC and the Big West.

Last edited:

patdog

May 28, 2007
How is UCSB higher than us in the RPI?

View attachment 575797
Quad record is meaningless. It has nothing at all to do with RPI. UCSB's adjusted record (adjusted for home and road wins and losses) is 33-8 to our 30-18. Also, a couple of their Q4 opponents actually have pretty decent records , so they don't hurt as bad as some of our Q4 opponents do. Sacramento St. 25-28 & Long Beach St. 23-25-1 is 6 Q4 games that don't hurt too bad.

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
I hope we sweep Mizzou but we probably won't. If we have to go on the road to win, so be it. At least we made the tourney this year.