Teams
Teams
Fan Sites
Forums
Shows
College
College Football News
College Football Player Rankings
College Football Schedule
College Football Scores
College Football Rankings
College Football Playoff
College Basketball News
Women's Sports
NIL
NIL News
NIL Valuation
NIL Deals
Sports Business
Transfer Portal
Transfer Portal News
NCAA Transfer Portal
Transfer Portal Rankings
Transfer Portal Team Rankings
Recruiting
Football Recruiting
Basketball Recruiting
Database
Team Rankings
Player Rankings
Industry Comparison
Commitments
Recruiting Prediction Machine
High School
High School News
Schools
Rankings
Scores
Draft
NFL Draft
NFL Draft News
Draft By Stars
College Draft History
NBA Draft
NBA Draft News
Pro
NFL
NASCAR
NBA
Sports Predictions
About
About
On3 App
Advertise
Press
FAQ
Contact
Log in
Register
Toggle sidebar
Teams
CFB Schedule
TV Schedule
HSFB Scores
AP Poll
HSFB Rankings
Search
New posts
Toggle sidebar
Menu
Install the app
Install
College football insider: Florida State's critical stretch, USC buyout math & more
The Big Ten's weak early scheduling is main reason college football ratings are down
College Football Injury Report: Latest Week 5 updates at Florida, Louisville, Ohio State & more
Texas Tech QB Thomas Castellanos availability in question following Kentucky court ruling
Five key visitors we're tracking at Arizona this weekend
Reply to thread
Forums
West Virginia
Mountaineer Message Board
Rumor...
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Nova Mountaineer" data-source="post: 129399781" data-attributes="member: 1071222"><p>Guys to be honest - it is rare for ANY reporter to have ALL the facts. But reporters do have sources</p><p>(some better than others). Their job is to report and if they seem to go into the tank for one side or </p><p>the other their credibility is damaged. So no reporter that I know of would deliberately put something</p><p>they know to be inaccurate in a story/column. </p><p></p><p>On the Dana story there are people clacking all over Morgantown. Very few, if any, (other than President</p><p>Gee and AD Lyons) know what the entire picture is. </p><p></p><p>Having been raised in a newspaper family and experience as a former newspaper reporter, editor-publisher and university Professor of Journalism, I can tell you a reporter better be damned careful about sources. Indeed a normally reliable source might get you out</p><p>on a limb at time. You have to be careful about some other motives other than to get you to the truth. </p><p></p><p>Now back to the Dana thing. It is certainly reasonable to believe that the President and AD have had conversations about </p><p>the state of the football program and expectations. Further it is reasonable to believe that the AD has had conversations with the Head Coach about the state of the football program and expectations. </p><p></p><p>Further, I suggest that those conversations did include thoughts about getting improvement in the program (and I mean on the field wins).</p><p></p><p>To assume anything less than what's in the last two paragraphs would be to ignore the important role which Mountaineer Football</p><p>plays at West Virginia University. Hell, Mountaineer Field at Mylan Puskar Stadium is the second largest city in WV during a football </p><p>game. </p><p></p><p>Now after the examination of what the conversations cover, a reporter/columnist comes to the tricky part - trying to find out </p><p>what specifically was said. Indeed only the two folks involved know exactly the words and thoughts expressed and the</p><p>standards discussed. </p><p></p><p>I don't claim to have the "inside scoop" but I believe it's reasonable that the AD has had a "Prayer Meeting" with the head football</p><p>coach. In fact, it's not unreasonable to believe there have been several of these. And I believe that as a result of those "Come</p><p>to Jesus" discussions, the head coach knows that he needs to make improvements to the overall Mountaineer Football program. </p><p></p><p>Now it's time to jump off the cliff - I would suggest that the performances in the last four games have not met the standards which the WVU President and the AD want from the Mountaineer Football program. On the other hand, I don't believe that a set number of </p><p>wins has been identified. Nonetheless there are rumors (that nasty word again) that such a specific number has been conveyed</p><p>to the head coach. I find one number I heard - 9 - to not be reasonable given the record last year. </p><p></p><p>So what am I suggesting in the rambling mess? That Dana better get this thing in gear with the next five games and win at leas four of them. The Mountaineers better show more discipline, more focus and more fire in the belly or the moving companies in Morgantown could have a lot of business early in the new year.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Nova Mountaineer, post: 129399781, member: 1071222"] Guys to be honest - it is rare for ANY reporter to have ALL the facts. But reporters do have sources (some better than others). Their job is to report and if they seem to go into the tank for one side or the other their credibility is damaged. So no reporter that I know of would deliberately put something they know to be inaccurate in a story/column. On the Dana story there are people clacking all over Morgantown. Very few, if any, (other than President Gee and AD Lyons) know what the entire picture is. Having been raised in a newspaper family and experience as a former newspaper reporter, editor-publisher and university Professor of Journalism, I can tell you a reporter better be damned careful about sources. Indeed a normally reliable source might get you out on a limb at time. You have to be careful about some other motives other than to get you to the truth. Now back to the Dana thing. It is certainly reasonable to believe that the President and AD have had conversations about the state of the football program and expectations. Further it is reasonable to believe that the AD has had conversations with the Head Coach about the state of the football program and expectations. Further, I suggest that those conversations did include thoughts about getting improvement in the program (and I mean on the field wins). To assume anything less than what's in the last two paragraphs would be to ignore the important role which Mountaineer Football plays at West Virginia University. Hell, Mountaineer Field at Mylan Puskar Stadium is the second largest city in WV during a football game. Now after the examination of what the conversations cover, a reporter/columnist comes to the tricky part - trying to find out what specifically was said. Indeed only the two folks involved know exactly the words and thoughts expressed and the standards discussed. I don't claim to have the "inside scoop" but I believe it's reasonable that the AD has had a "Prayer Meeting" with the head football coach. In fact, it's not unreasonable to believe there have been several of these. And I believe that as a result of those "Come to Jesus" discussions, the head coach knows that he needs to make improvements to the overall Mountaineer Football program. Now it's time to jump off the cliff - I would suggest that the performances in the last four games have not met the standards which the WVU President and the AD want from the Mountaineer Football program. On the other hand, I don't believe that a set number of wins has been identified. Nonetheless there are rumors (that nasty word again) that such a specific number has been conveyed to the head coach. I find one number I heard - 9 - to not be reasonable given the record last year. So what am I suggesting in the rambling mess? That Dana better get this thing in gear with the next five games and win at leas four of them. The Mountaineers better show more discipline, more focus and more fire in the belly or the moving companies in Morgantown could have a lot of business early in the new year. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Name
Post reply
×
Disable Video Player
On3
Latest
01
On3 Football
College football insider: Florida State's critical stretch, USC buyout math & more
02
On3 Football
The Big Ten's weak early scheduling is main reason college football ratings are down
03
On3 Football
College Football Injury Report: Latest Week 5 updates at Florida, Louisville, Ohio State & more
04
On3 Football
Texas Tech QB Thomas Castellanos availability in question following Kentucky court ruling
05
Rivals Football Recruiting
Five key visitors we're tracking at Arizona this weekend
Forums
West Virginia
Mountaineer Message Board
Rumor...
Top
Bottom