Russell Wilson released

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
OTOH signing at the minimum doesnt show a commitment to him by the new team. so the new team does not have a vested interest in him, so as soon as things go bad, the new team could bench him for someone else. So we shall see.
Um. He’s 35 years old and is making $39 million next year whether he plays or not. Expecting a long term commitment and big money from any team this year is a pipe dream.

Reactions: bbrown and Bison13

psu31trap

Oct 29, 2021
Rumor has it that he like Pittsburgh. What does this mean for Kenny Pickett? N

Bison13

Oct 13, 2021
There is not a draftable quarterback out there or a free agent one who can take Pittsburgh to a level where they can compete with the Chiefs due to other missing pieces. For this year, they are probably better off either playing Rudolph or signing Russell Wilson for the minimum and drafting to fill holes on the offensive line, the secondary and linebacker. If they can find four guys similar to what they did last year in the draft, then next year they can make the run at the quarterback to take them over the top.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
There is not a draftable quarterback out there or a free agent one who can take Pittsburgh to a level where they can compete with the Chiefs due to other missing pieces. For this year, they are probably better off either playing Rudolph or signing Russell Wilson for the minimum and drafting to fill holes on the offensive line, the secondary and linebacker. If they can find four guys similar to what they did last year in the draft, then next year they can make the run at the quarterback to take them over the top.
Two things.
1) I think Rudolph would have to be resigned. I think he is a FA and Pickett is currently the only QB on the roster.
2) I wanted this strategy two years ago when they took Pickett. I thought a stop gap FA QB and refilling holes at OL, LB, and secondary was the better approach. We will see. I think I would actually be ok with Rudolph coming back and they let it play out between the two QBs while loading up in the draft on OL, DL, and secondary. FWIW, I heard an interview with the WV C, Zach Frazier on XM the other day and I instantly thought he is Pittsburgh material. Humble kid who plays tough. He was also a 4 time State Wrestling Champ in HS with a career record of 159-2. He won me over.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021
Um. He’s 35 years old and is making $39 million next year whether he plays or not. Expecting a long term commitment and big money from any team this year is a pipe dream.
Ok so why sign anywhere? You are getting $39 mil max playing or not

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Ok so why sign anywhere? You are getting $39 mil max playing or not
Because like every player with an ego, he thinks he is still a top level QB. So, he wants a chance to prove it. Word is he only wants a one year deal because he thinks he can play well enough to get a bigger deal to follow. That one year deal for the league minimum may be a nice stop gap for some team because he is motivated for the next contract or, he isn’t the player he once was, and the one year deal turns into to pretty inexpensive experiment for some team.

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
Two things.
1) I think Rudolph would have to be resigned. I think he is a FA and Pickett is currently the only QB on the roster.
2) I wanted this strategy two years ago when they took Pickett. I thought a stop gap FA QB and refilling holes at OL, LB, and secondary was the better approach. We will see. I think I would actually be ok with Rudolph coming back and they let it play out between the two QBs while loading up in the draft on OL, DL, and secondary. FWIW, I heard an interview with the WV C, Zach Frazier on XM the other day and I instantly thought he is Pittsburgh material. Humble kid who plays tough. He was also a 4 time State Wrestling Champ in HS with a career record of 159-2. He won me over.
His play against us won me over. He was terrific.

Reactions: LB99

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Any word on how wilson’s meeting and/or workout went with the Stillers? o_O

• Haha
Reactions: Bkmtnittany1

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Yeah, not enamored of any of the QBs in the draft and don't see wasting draft capital to move up or to get Fields. Much better move than what Atlanta made. You best stick to mathematics.
Fixed, for myself.

• Haha
Reactions: PSUJam

NittPicker

Oct 7, 2021
Wilson is 35 years old. Pickett will be 26 when the season starts. For reference, Hurts will be 26 in August. Mahomes will be 29 in Sept. Purdy will turn 25 in Dec.. And just to put it out there since he signed with the Eagles today, Saquon Barkley is only 27. I write all this not to take a shot at Wilson but to point out Pickett is old for a QB entering his third season. I think teams would generally be more patient with development if the QB was younger or if a QB showed some serious potential to be THE guy. I agree Wilson is a good one year acquisition which will give the Steelers time to develop a plan for 2025. But who knows?? Maybe Pickett will be lights out this year.

Reactions: LionJim

ODShowtime

Nov 1, 2021
I would bring Wilson in right to the trophies first thing and say "here's 6, it should be unprecedented, but because of your dumb ***, some other lesser team has tied us."

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
I would bring Wilson in right to the trophies first thing and say "here's 6, it should be unprecedented, but because of your dumb ***, some other lesser team has tied us."
Wasn’t his play call.