Ryan Day's job at Ohio State?

saturdaysarebetter

Jun 28, 2018
Ohio State is going all out to win a national championship at football this year seemingly even more so than most years. It drives Buckeyes fans bat sh*t crazy losing to Michigan the past three years (to me Michigan's win are tainted) but unless vacated a loss to Michigan is still a loss.

In theory, Ryan Day could lose to Michigan in the regular season, and could also lose to Michigan in the Big 10 championship game (unlikely but the possibility exists). It's also possible that Ohio State could still go on to make the college football playoff and win the national championship.

Would Ohio State fire Day if he loses to Michigan twice this year (which would make five consecutive losses to the Wolverines) despite winning the national championship? Would he be fired if they made the national championship game and lost? Would making the college football playoff be enough to keep his job? Does he have to beat Michigan to save his job despite making the playoff and any playoff success? Your thoughts?

Reactions: Charlie1978

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
Simple answer is No if they win the MNC. If he makes it to the MNC game he won't be fired. Message boards are a bad place to get the pulse of this as UM fans had JH fired just 3 years ago they thought.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Ohio State is going all out to win a national championship at football this year seemingly even more so than most years. It drives Buckeyes fans bat sh*t crazy losing to Michigan the past three years (to me Michigan's win are tainted) but unless vacated a loss to Michigan is still a loss.

In theory, Ryan Day could lose to Michigan in the regular season, and could also lose to Michigan in the Big 10 championship game (unlikely but the possibility exists). It's also possible that Ohio State could still go on to make the college football playoff and win the national championship.

Would Ohio State fire Day if he loses to Michigan twice this year (which would make five consecutive losses to the Wolverines) despite winning the national championship? Would he be fired if they made the national championship game and lost? Would making the college football playoff be enough to keep his job? Does he have to beat Michigan to save his job despite making the playoff and any playoff success? Your thoughts?

Why not? Day isn't the reason for OSU's success and 10+ wins mean jack sh*t. You don't get a trophy for winning 10 games. You don't get more money for going to a better bowl either - it's all shared anyway. OSU canning Day would be impressive IMO; nice to see a program with standards (noting you will not always achieve them, but nice to see the effort).

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
Why not? Day isn't the reason for OSU's success and 10+ wins mean jack sh*t. You don't get a trophy for winning 10 games. You don't get more money for going to a better bowl either - it's all shared anyway. OSU canning Day would be impressive IMO; nice to see a program with standards (noting you will not always achieve them, but nice to see the effort).
So you think they would fired Day if they won a MNC as he stated in his question? LOL, sure they would. Clearly there are tons of programs doing what you're stating.....you just cannot seem to find any real examples.

Season 3 GIF by Parks and Recreation

Last edited:

Bwifan

Oct 12, 2021

He wins the MNC he stays... If he were to lose to Michigan in the regular season and Big 10 Championship and lose the MNC it would be very interesting to see what OSU would do... No doubt pressure is building on him to beat Michigan again. I am looking forward to what Chip Kelly does there. I am glad PSU will have 2 months worth of game film to study the OSU offense before playing them in Nov.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
So you think they would fired Day if they won a MNC as he stated in his question? LOL, sure they would. Clearly there are tons of programs doing what you're stating.....you just cannot seem to find any real examples.

No, I said I wouldn't blame them for firing him if he didn't win one (or if they fail to beat Michigan) -sue me, didn't read the whole question, and it's preposterous to think any program would fire a coach for winning a NC. Clearly he's fine if he wins a NC.

Georgia fired Richt for similar failings (despite multiple 10 win seasons, which you seem to think mean something). Pelini was fired because Nebraska believes they can do better. They fired Solich previously for the same reason. Muschamp at Florida. Does it always work out? For Georgia, yes. Nebraska, no. Florida still figuring it out. Would PSU be better off with a new coach? Don't know until you try.

Reactions: bbrown

TheBigUglies

Oct 26, 2021
He wins the MNC he stays... If he were to lose to Michigan in the regular season and Big 10 Championship and lose the MNC it would be very interesting to see what OSU would do... No doubt pressure is building on him to beat Michigan again. I am looking forward to what Chip Kelly does there. I am glad PSU will have 2 months worth of game film to study the OSU offense before playing them in Nov.
I can't stand Chip Kelly. Looks like from recent podcasts he has some issues. Hope he fails miserably.

Reactions: bbrown and Bwifan

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
No, I said I wouldn't blame them for firing him if he didn't win one (or if they fail to beat Michigan) -sue me, didn't read the whole question, and it's preposterous to think any program would fire a coach for winning a NC. Clearly he's fine if he wins a NC.

Georgia fired Richt for similar failings (despite multiple 10 win seasons, which you seem to think mean something). Pelini was fired because Nebraska believes they can do better. They fired Solich previously for the same reason. Muschamp at Florida. Does it always work out? For Georgia, yes. Nebraska, no. Florida still figuring it out. Would PSU be better off with a new coach? Don't know until you try.
Richt's final 6 years aren't what you thought they were and UGa unlike PSU will invest in the program in a very talent rich state in a talent right region. Pelini didn't have back to back 10 win seasons at NEB and he was in the B1G West. I wonder which two top 5 teams were in the B1G west during that time frame? It must have been all of those Iowa and Wisky top 5 teams year after year. Muschamp was 4-8 and and 6-5 in his final 2 years at UF. So pretty much apples to apples there with all 3 of those.

Again fine just one school that had a coach win back to back 10 win seasons and fired him. You didn't do it there, but you tried so there is that. You have this notion that PSU is just a HC away, but on the pay site where they have people with some ears on the ground.....there are other problems at PSU. You want a top 5 program, but PSU isn't that and they aren't attracting a top 5 HC right now unless things change. Other schools are better setup to move forward, but you can keep pretending it's just the HC holding PSU down. Hell make pretend fire him for all you want, but my point is he isn't getting fired due to his contract in place and the 10+ wins. Guess what....he wasn't fired....so I think I may have had it right.

Auxgym

Oct 13, 2021

Ohio State has lost their advantage of paying players.............now that everyone else does......shouldn't that be the topic rather than coaching?

Reactions: ODShowtime

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Richt's final 6 years aren't what you thought they were and UGa unlike PSU will invest in the program in a very talent rich state in a talent right region. Pelini didn't have back to back 10 win seasons at NEB and he was in the B1G West. I wonder which two top 5 teams were in the B1G west during that time frame? It must have been all of those Iowa and Wisky top 5 teams year after year. Muschamp was 4-8 and and 6-5 in his final 2 years at UF. So pretty much apples to apples there with all 3 of those.

Again fine just one school that had a coach win back to back 10 win seasons and fired him. You didn't do it there, but you tried so there is that. You have this notion that PSU is just a HC away, but on the pay site where they have people with some ears on the ground.....there are other problems at PSU. You want a top 5 program, but PSU isn't that and they aren't attracting a top 5 HC right now unless things change. Other schools are better setup to move forward, but you can keep pretending it's just the HC holding PSU down. Hell make pretend fire him for all you want, but my point is he isn't getting fired due to his contract in place and the 10+ wins. Guess what....he wasn't fired....so I think I may have had it right.

What is so good about 10 wins? They’re against the bad teams. Certainly Franklin isn’t the only problem, but he’s a big one.

We agree on a lot so will pin this here.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Ohio State has lost their advantage of paying players.............now that everyone else does......shouldn't that be the topic rather than coaching?

No - they still have top five recruiting classes every year. And they pay well from what I’ve seen.

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
What is so good about 10 wins? They’re against the bad teams. Certainly Franklin isn’t the only problem, but he’s a big one.

We agree on a lot so will pin this here.
It's not just the W's.....it's where he is at in his contract too currently. It makes it nearly impossible to do what you want. PSU doesn't have the $$$'s behind it to suck up that lo$$ as well. If he had 2 years left or was wining 7 games a year it would be a bit more feasible, but that isn't current situation. Maybe that is the part that you're missing? I don't know.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
It's not just the W's.....it's where he is at in his contract too currently. It makes it nearly impossible to do what you want. PSU doesn't have the $$$'s behind it to suck up that lo$$ as well. If he had 2 years left or was wining 7 games a year it would be a bit more feasible, but that isn't current situation. Maybe that is the part that you're missing? I don't know.

I know he’s not going anywhere. I still like to complain about him and how dumb PsU was for signing his contract. What’s missing is Franklin’s in game coaching IQ. He put all his stat points into charisma.

Reactions: ODShowtime

BiochemPSU

Oct 30, 2021
I am somewhat surprised that Day kept his job this year. He didn't have the world's greatest QB, but Harrison was a generational talent. He must have convinced some important people that he was within inches of a title and blowing it up now would set the program back another year or two from that goal.

Look at the schedule, they could play the backups for all but probably three games:

Akron
Western Michigan
Marshall
MSU
Iowa
Oregon (away)
Nebraska
PSU (away)
Purdue
NW
Indiana
Michigan (home)

On the depth chart, only the o-line and QBs look like a source of possible weakness. And they don't look terribly weak. The defense looks borderline like something you would assemble on your rigged PlayStation game. Good luck James.

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
I know he’s not going anywhere. I still like to complain about him and how dumb PsU was for signing his contract. What’s missing is Franklin’s in game coaching IQ. He put all his stat points into charisma.
Long term contracts for players and coaches are the worst thing for anyone. They breed complacency and leave holes that are tough to dig out of financially when they go wrong. In terms of his coaching IQ you don't win more than you lose at that level by being a just a mediocre coach. The B1G east also had 2 top 5 programs in the country the last 2-3 years so there is that also if we're going to paint the full picture. One out invests PSU and the other did cheat a bit more after forcing their coach to take a pay cut. I'm all for realistic conversations anytime, but just saying I want to win more than you do isn't that. Peace...over it.

Reactions: Midnighter

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
I don’t know ryan day’s future at T™️osu, but one thing I do know is that James Franklin laughs at him.

HarrisburgDave

Oct 29, 2021
Charisma? Most know he is a ******** artist.

• Haha

Charlie1978

Dec 8, 2022

Yeah look. As much as I hate to grant respect to these corrupt Columbusonians, but what they did this off-season is exactly what champs do. First they shopped at Alabama as we should have. Second, they hired a money grubber from the BIG 12 fits their culture. Third, they responded as they should have and redefined Day's and Hartline's jobs, and then brought in the guy who can elevate the offense with Chip Kelly. Fourth, they recruited the portal well and recruited their locker room and kept their blue chip talent.

The good news for the good guys, is that the entire Buckeye nation will stroke out if they fail to win the natty. And it could be as much fun as possible if they lose to Oregon...three months of road rage, at the very least, all across New Jersey without the beach. They don't have MHJ to throw to anymore and sorry their QB is not playing in KS anymore. Glorious for the good guys.

Bwifan

Oct 12, 2021
Yeah look. As much as I hate to grant respect to these corrupt Columbusonians, but what they did this off-season is exactly what champs do. First they shopped at Alabama as we should have. Second, they hired a money grubber from the BIG 12 fits their culture. Third, they responded as they should have and redefined Day's and Hartline's jobs, and then brought in the guy who can elevate the offense with Chip Kelly. Fourth, they recruited the portal well and recruited their locker room and kept their blue chip talent.

The good news for the good guys, is that the entire Buckeye nation will stroke out if they fail to win the natty. And it could be as much fun as possible if they lose to Oregon...three months of road rage, at the very least, all across New Jersey without the beach. They don't have MHJ to throw to anymore and sorry their QB is not playing in KS anymore. Glorious for the good guys.

That stretch of playing Oregon, Nebraska and PSU will be a tough stretch for them. Oregon won't be easy and Nebraska should be well improved. Rhule's teams usually take a nice step forward each year the first couple of years since he tends to play young players at first and they develop nicely each year in the system. Then OSU plays PSU. Hopefully traveling to Oregon then playing Nebraska has the a little tired for PSU.

Reactions: Charlie1978

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
That stretch of playing Oregon, Nebraska and PSU will be a tough stretch for them. Oregon won't be easy and Nebraska should be well improved. Rhule's teams usually take a nice step forward each year the first couple of years since he tends to play young players at first and they develop nicely each year in the system. Then OSU plays PSU. Hopefully traveling to Oregon then playing Nebraska has the a little tired for PSU.
Before playing OSU, PSU is at USC and Wisconsin. No sure which team be more "little tired."

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021

Expectations at OSU are off the charts, even for them and thats saying something, they saw what Harbs did with the money and they are following suit. They are spending a ton. If he doesn't win a NC his seat is going to be very, very hot.

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
And thats were I differ from you. I think Franklin's game day coaching is exactly like everyone else's. The microscope is just sitting at 100x on our message boards. IMO its the most overrated criticism of any coach.

Bwifan

Oct 12, 2021
Expectations at OSU are off the charts, even for them and thats saying something, they saw what Harbs did with the money and they are following suit. They are spending a ton. If he doesn't win a NC his seat is going to be very, very hot.

Let alone if he loses to Michigan again. They will be at his front door with pitchforks and torches.

Reactions: bbrown

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
And thats were I differ from you. I think Franklin's game day coaching is exactly like everyone else's. The microscope is just sitting at 100x on our message boards. IMO its the most overrated criticism of any coach.

Fine, but that's not just my opinion/perception. Last night listening to Sirius XM College Sports Radio and they were talking about potential 'surprise' teams this year and might have been Neuheisel who said, 'Penn State' - the hosts then talked about their producer who was a Penn Stater who would have liked the pick but feared 'James Franklin would screw it up again.' And check any replies on social media when it comes to Franklin; they're not good. His reputation is for losing big games - and he's earned it. Let me know when you see an article about another coach like this:

“James Franklin is 4-16 against Michigan and Ohio State,” sports writer Dick Weiss wrote. “I miss joe pa.”

“The narrative that James Franklin cannot win big games is absolutely fact now,” the College Football Report account on X posted. “1-6 vs Top 10 Teams at Home. 5-9 vs Ranked Teams at Home. 1-8 vs Top 5 Teams. 3-7 vs Michigan.

“Michigan had their HC suspended last minute, and Franklin still couldn’t coach PSU to a win.”

“PLEASE just win a big game,” FanDuel Sportsbook posted along with a video that had Franklin’s head photoshopped over someone saying, “I can’t do it. I just can’t do it.”

“Penn State fans deserve better,” CBS Sports Radio’s Zach Gelb wrote on X. “James Franklin is a tremendous recruiter, but can’t win a big game to save his life. Same script over and over again.”

“Sherrone Moore now has the same number of regular season wins against Top 10 opponents as James Franklin has,” RedditCFB posted on X.

“What’s the definition of a waste of money?” Brenden Deeg, NFL News Editor at The Score wrote on X. “Giving James Franklin a 10-year $70 million contract.”

“James Franklin might be the only coach that can go 9-3 at Vandy but only 10-2 at Penn State,” Saturday Down South posted on X.

Barstool Sports Dave Portnoy — a Michigan fan who was wearing a “Free Harbaugh” shirt — posted a video of himself watching Penn State score its final touchdown, then inexplicably go for two and fail to get it. At the end, he shakes his head in disbelief, looks into the camera and says, “James Franklin is an (expletive) idiot.”

Last edited:

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
Fine, but that's not just my opinion/perception. Last night listening to Sirius XM College Sports Radio and they were talking about potential 'surprise' teams this year and might have been Neuheisel who said, 'Penn State' - the hosts then talked about their producer who was a Penn Stater who would have liked the pick but feared 'James Franklin would screw it up again.' And check any replies on social media when it comes to Franklin; they're not good. His reputation is for losing big games - and he's earned it. Let me know when you see an article about another coach like this:

“James Franklin is 4-16 against Michigan and Ohio State,” sports writer Dick Weiss wrote. “I miss joe pa.”

“The narrative that James Franklin cannot win big games is absolutely fact now,” the College Football Report account on X posted. “1-6 vs Top 10 Teams at Home. 5-9 vs Ranked Teams at Home. 1-8 vs Top 5 Teams. 3-7 vs Michigan.

“Michigan had their HC suspended last minute, and Franklin still couldn’t coach PSU to a win.”

“PLEASE just win a big game,” FanDuel Sportsbook posted along with a video that had Franklin’s head photoshopped over someone saying, “I can’t do it. I just can’t do it.”

“Penn State fans deserve better,” CBS Sports Radio’s Zach Gelb wrote on X. “James Franklin is a tremendous recruiter, but can’t win a big game to save his life. Same script over and over again.”

“Sherrone Moore now has the same number of regular season wins against Top 10 opponents as James Franklin has,” RedditCFB posted on X.

“What’s the definition of a waste of money?” Brenden Deeg, NFL News Editor at The Score wrote on X. “Giving James Franklin a 10-year $70 million contract.”

“James Franklin might be the only coach that can go 9-3 at Vandy but only 10-2 at Penn State,” Saturday Down South posted on X.

ehhh. I'm not getting into a big back and forth. You have your opinion I have mine and the Margaritas kicked in a long time ago so I don't feel like doing homework. Sorry.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
ehhh. I'm not getting into a big back and forth. You have your opinion I have mine and the Margaritas kicked in a long time ago so I don't feel like doing homework. Sorry.

I was ready to stop a while ago. I don't care if Franklin has unending support on this board either; what I have an issue with is the talking down to anyone who, for whatever reason, has an issue with Franklin. It's that the Franklin 'haters' don't know about the issues inside the department, NIL issues, and we should just shut up since there is nothing anyone can do (about his contract). The on-field issues are swept away and are above criticism (because of NIL I guess?). Anyway, will be plenty to talk about this fall - like Groundhog Day.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
It's a lot of well known sports writers and influencers (like the creator of Barstool Sports); people see it. Ignore or not - you do you. It's still out there.
Dave Portnoy is one of the better judges of idiots in this country, maybe the best.

Last edited:
  • Haha

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
I was ready to stop a while ago. I don't care if Franklin has unending support on this board either; what I have an issue with is the talking down to anyone who, for whatever reason, has an issue with Franklin. It's that the Franklin 'haters' don't know about the issues inside the department, NIL issues, and we should just shut up since there is nothing anyone can do (about his contract). The on-field issues are swept away and are above criticism (because of NIL I guess?). Anyway, will be plenty to talk about this fall - like Groundhog Day.
I have my "issues" with Franklin because well no one is perfect but his game day coaching isn't at the top of my list. I thought he's gotten better over the years. 🤷‍♂️